The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2011, 12:49 PM   #1
mikerault

Starting to load

Here is what I have purchased to begin hand loading (Yes, I know it isn't a single press, I will have 3-9mm handguns and one 9mm carbine that I will be reloading for and that will be a lot of rounds (3 shooters)) I already have about 500 cases for reloading.

1 of 21-5922 Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit 4 HOLE TURRET KIT

1 of 21-4611 LEE Deluxe Pistol 4-Die Set 9MM LUGER

1 of 21-5319 Remington Bulk per 500 Pistol Bullets 9MM 124GR JHP

1 of 21-0756 Winchester Per 1000 Primers 1 1/2 SMALL PISTOL

2 of 21-0742 Hodgdon Smokeless Powder HP38 1 LB

1 of 21-0578 One Shot Case Lube

One other thing I will likely buy is a kinetic bullet puller and of course a reloading manual.

Mike
Old January 11, 2011, 01:28 PM   #2
zippy13

You may have put the cart before the horse. Typically, a reloading manual is the first item for a potential reloader to purchase. Have you read the forum sticky "For the New Reloader, Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST"? What you seem to be missing is measuring and case prep equipment.
Old January 11, 2011, 01:53 PM   #3
PA-Joe

Most LEE kits come with one set of dies. If not get the die sset with the factory crimp dies. You will also need a micrometer to measure COL, a good powder scale to check weight of charges, a couple of loading blocks to hold the cases while reloading so they don't fall over and some case preparation tools to clean primer pockets and the insides. You may also want to get a LEE case trimer.
Old January 11, 2011, 02:18 PM   #4
mikerault

I assume the 4 dies in this kit take care of the case prep. I have a tumbler already. What tumbler media should be used for wet tumbling cases?

I have plenty of ammo trays.

I also have an electronic precision scale.

Last edited by mikerault; January 11, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old January 11, 2011, 02:36 PM   #5
PA-Joe

The dies do not come with case prep tools. I would stay away from wet tumbling use some corn or walnut rodent bedding from the pet store. I like fine grade so it does not clog the primer hole or case.
Old January 11, 2011, 02:46 PM   #6
rdmallory

I would get a hand primer and prime off the press to start with.
And I would load the turret as a single stage until you get the feel of it. It is the press I use and I size and prime single stage. Then load and crimp on the turret. Might want to consider a Lee disc powder drop with the adjustable charge bar.

Doug
Old January 11, 2011, 02:54 PM   #7
jmortimer

Since you are using Lee Precision equipment you for sure want to get Modern Reloading by Richard Lee around $13.00 and possibly Lyman's 49th manual. Two other items I use are the Lee Precision Auto Prime as I like to hand prime off the press and Lee Precision Powder Dippers. I use my Lee Precision Turret Press in single stage mode and "batch" load. Makes it all real simple.
Old January 11, 2011, 03:41 PM   #8
mikerault

The kit comes with the lock and case trimmer. I have purchased the case gauge separately as well as some digital calipers. The deluxe kit comes with the powder loader and disks.

I have ordered the lee reloading manual and a couple of other references.
Old January 11, 2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Crashbox

"The ABC's of Reloading" is a must-have for any reloader IMO. Some of the photos are a bit dated but the information in said book is a real gold mine.

Just my opinion.
Old January 12, 2011, 02:29 AM   #10
Lost Sheep

Welcome to reloading and thanks for asking our advice.

As has been mentioned earlier by zippy13, your order of acquisition is suboptimal.. But don't worry. You will not be disappointed with the Lee Classic Turret. You will probably never use the case lube, though. And you will want to get a scale pretty quickly. The one dipper supplied with your dies may not measure out the right amount of HP-38. Even if you get the whole set of dippers, you will still want to verify the weight.

4.7 to 4.8 grains of HP-38 is what Lee's manual recommends for 124 grain jacketed bullets. Shooting hollow points for practice, though is fairly expensive. Copper plated bullets is much cheaper.

In addition to the forum sticky http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171, I also recommend a couple of my posts

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391
or if the link does not work, paste this into your browser
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391

my "10 Advices for the novice reloader" post is #13.

and this thread,

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/2938...andloader.html

In that thread I note that you can scrape by without a scale, but you really should put it high up on the list of your next purchase. Right behind "The ABC's of Reloading" and at least two reloading manuals (Lyman's and Lee's would be my choices)

Good Luck. Good Shooting, Be safe, always, all ways. Wear eye protection, especially when working with primers and don't pinch your fingers in your press.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; January 12, 2011 at 03:53 AM.