The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 11, 2006, 04:45 AM   #1
tINY

Bedding a Howa 1500

I got the Bell and Carlson medalist stock for my 1500 300 WM.

After removing the flashing from the front of the Lug contact area and hogging out the barrel channel, I find that the receiver doesn't stay put. It rocks up and down slightly (and strings shots vertically).

So, I'm gonna have to glass bed it.

Two questions:

Should I bed it like a Mauser (back or lug, bottom of receiver and 2" of barrel)?

Does anyone think that adding pillars to the aluminum chassis is worth the hassle, or should I just rely on the aluminum and composite to provide consistent tension on the action screws?

Thanks...

-tINY

Old January 11, 2006, 05:02 AM   #2
mtnboomer

You shouldn't have to bed any of the barrel on the Howa. You only do it on a military Mauser action because it flexes at the thumb cut-out on the receiver.

Remember to put 2 pieces of electrical tape on the front and sides of the barrel lug to get the proper gap.

Don't worry about pillars right now. If the bedding alone doesn't solve the problem simply drill out the stock screw holes later and add them.

Remember to take some old business cards with you to the range after bedding the stock in case the barrel needs a pressure point in the forend.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old January 11, 2006, 02:25 PM   #3
tINY

Thanks.

I'm really hoping to leave it free-floating (so I don't have to worry about slinging up in the field and changing POI).

I'll resist urges to bed the back of the barrel......

-tINY

Old January 13, 2006, 12:33 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

The action rocks because it doesn't fit the stock. Use some lay out dye or magic marker to find the high spot and remove it.
Bedding is done to the whole receiver to the end of the chamber area. Free floating may or may not help. Not all rifles like it. Sounds like your's doesn't. Try a pressure point just aft of the end of the forestock. Remember the release agent.