The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 26, 2022, 09:21 AM   #26
jmhyer

I think the P365XL is my most versatile. It's my EDC of choice with 12+1. When home, I can quickly swap mags to make it 15+1 with the 12 round mag as an extra. Plus, it's the only pistol I currently have that has a red dot (Holosun 407k-x2), which I have come to love and appreciate. It's fun at the range. And, where I live, it would easily handle any 4-legged nuisance or food-source critters.
Old July 26, 2022, 06:04 PM   #27
Onward Allusion

This is almost a "if you could only have one" thread. Mine would be a G23 with a 9mm & 357 Sig conversion barrels & mags.
Old July 26, 2022, 06:14 PM   #28
jetinteriorguy

My Ruger 4” Security Six will handle any two or four legged critter on the North American Continent.
Old July 26, 2022, 08:54 PM   #29
toc

S & W 915. Shoots everything that I run through it. Hunted almost everything up to deep size game with it and is in my car, nightstand or on my person almost all days. over 40 years.
Just my opinion.
Old July 26, 2022, 08:57 PM   #30
Onward Allusion

^^^
That would be my 1st runner up - one of the 3rd gen Smiths. One of the hardiest designs ever.
Old July 27, 2022, 09:25 AM   #31
shafter

[QUOTE]Currently I would say my Glock 48 or Sig P320 X Compact could fill ccw and home defense pretty solidly, and still be comfortable.
/QUOTE]

I would be inclined to agree about the Glock 48. Much easier than the Glock 19 to conceal and if you switch magazines you get almost the same capacity from a single stack with the same sight radius. With quality hollowpoints or Buffalo Bore's 9mm outdoorsman load I'd feel comfortable going against anything I'm ever likely to.
Old July 28, 2022, 08:16 AM   #32
Geezerbiker

For me it depends on what part of the house I'm in for a home defense weapon. At apposing ends of the house it's one shotgun or another. In the middle of the house is my 9mm S&W gen 1 shield...

I'm very thankful the only home defense I've ever needed was an air rifle used to teach a deer a lesson about eating my garden...

Tony
Old July 29, 2022, 07:40 AM   #33
Spats McGee
Staff

I've used my CC gun as my HD pistol for a long time. First it was the 1911, then whatever I had for CC, and now my Shield Plus. At indoor distances, and in an HD situation, I don't think I can really take advantage of the better accuracy of larger pistols.
Old July 29, 2022, 11:57 AM   #34
mrt949

Ruger SP101 357 MAG 2.25 Most trusted .
Old July 29, 2022, 12:14 PM   #35
Drm50

I just got some 1911s in last few years. The need for SD pistol closed in on me. Although I have a butt load of handguns, almost all S&W revolvers I had no practical carry piece. So only trusting S&W revolvers and Colt 1911, I went with 1911. Got carried away and ended up with more than I needed. Now reduced to three.
My carry gun is Commander LW 45, stock. The flat nature of 1911 makes it better CCW than a revolver. Ended up with another Commander I can’t put down. BoMar sights and match barrel, shoots better than a couple Gold Cups I’ve shot recently ( series 80 ) I would just keep it for CCW but don’t need target gun for that. 3rd is stock original series 70 like new.
Will be trading it off, all I had were series 70 or Commanders of 1970s vintage.
Old July 29, 2022, 05:50 PM   #36
zeke

If it absolutely had to be just one for carrying and home dense, it would be the kimber 3 in ultra. While i upsize in cooler/colder weather, prefer the smaller size for summer clothes.

If i was still working and more concerned about being "made", it would be the 45 xds, which is what i carried for years at work.
Old July 29, 2022, 05:56 PM   #37
12-34hom

springfield armory xdm compact elite. 10mm 12-34hom
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old July 30, 2022, 07:16 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

I'm going to focus on the "do it all" part of the question, and not on "do some things really well" which most people are doing.

For a "do it all" pistol I would chose the T/C Contender. Because, with calibers from .22LR to .45-70, it will truly "do it all".

What it will not do, is "do it all really well".

NOTHING DOES.

Which is why I have more than one type and class of handgun. So I have something that will do everything I need, or want to do, well.

No, I would not choose a Contender as a carry /self defense gun (though if it were all I had, I would use it), just as I would not choose a 9mm service class pistol to hunt big game, or as my choice for small game or pest removal. It certainly could work, but since I have other, better choices, I would choose one of them.
Old July 30, 2022, 08:50 PM   #39
jonnyc

Most of my handguns are available for home use, but the smaller ones (43X, Beretta M71, CZ82s, Sig 228) cross over to carry sometimes. My truly "do everything" guns are my Beretta .22s and S&W 317 .22.
Old July 30, 2022, 11:19 PM   #40
Blue Duck

Wow! I don't know if there really is such a thing. It's going to have to be a heck of a compromise. As far as handguns go, anymore. Self-defense is my number one priority. It must be concealable but then again, I can conceal a fairly large gun, maybe not that comfortably, but doable.

However, I would immediately rule out all of the tiny pocket guns, and mini nines, and while I like my J frame 38's and my 9mm Shield, I would still want more gun.

For me it comes down to probably a Glock 19X 9mm or Colt Lightweight Commander in 45acp, maybe even a Glock 22 in 40 cal. Those are my 3 main carry guns. But I do have a Beretta M9A4 9mm which is growing on me and is currently in the shop, getting a bunch of Wilson Combat upgrades, including trigger, hammer, spring kit, and single side decocker-only, installed, and I am getting that darned threaded barrel cut off and recrowned. It just might become a main carry when I get it back, after acquiring a good holster or two for it.

But then again if it has to be my only gun, I might just opt for my Wilson Combat 5-inch gun, 1911, 45acp, which has a long and proven track record of extreme reliability with me, but that's mainly because I have owned it for many years. Really, the main downside to it is it's fairly heavy, but not so heavy that I would rule it out, and it's still very concealable in a Milt Sparks IWB holster.

The only bad thing is all of those semi's throw their brass cases all over the place, and I do handload, and if I can only afford one gun, I might be poor enough that I would need to reload my empty cases, plus I like the flexibility of tailoring my loads, which temps me to choose a revolver, in .357 mag or 44 mag. This would bring me around to a Smith and Wesson K frame size gun, or Ruger Blackhawk, or Model 29 Smith with a 4-inch barrel. And that brings me around to considering my second-generation Colt .357 peacemaker with a 5.5" long barrel. It has an action job with a superb trigger and is very accurate and the sights are well regulated. It's not really that heavy and could still be concealed and capable of handling most any reload I would want to stuff in it, from 38 special to reasonably heavy .357 Keith semi-wad cutters, or hollow points.

I can't choose, but I could get by with most any of the above, I might not be really happy, but I would still be well armed.

Last edited by Blue Duck; July 30, 2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old August 1, 2022, 10:48 AM   #41
FITASC

For carry and nightstand use, the SIG 365 or its newer big brother, the 365XL with Sig Romeo
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 11, 2022, 03:31 PM   #42
jstert

my sole, do-it-all, handgun was a taurus 85, 38sp, steel, snubbie revolver for 25 years, due to my locales. simple, reliable, handy, accurate.
Old August 12, 2022, 03:37 PM   #43
Schlitz 45

I'd have to say my Dan Wesson .357 Magnum revolver with interchangeable barrels would be the closest thing I have to a "do all" pistol. It can go from a SD snubby with a 2.5" barrel on up through the 4", 6", or 8" for hunting, target/silhouettes, home defense, etc. Coupled with the versatility of the cartridge there's not much it couldn't cover.
Old August 30, 2022, 10:08 PM   #44
Ceemo

Right now my "do it all pistol" is my Glock 26 Gen5. Will soon be a Glock 19 Gen5 once I gather up a few more pennies. Have a Glock 22 Gen1 also, but it's a bit too large for my body type to carry concealed. Excellent nightstand gun though!
Old August 31, 2022, 02:39 PM   #45
rc

A do all pistol would be a 4 inch 357 magnum. That would be for woods use. Otherwise a compact 9mm.
Old August 31, 2022, 05:18 PM   #46
Hawg

There is no do all gun. My home defense weapon is a short barreled 12 gauge pump.
Old August 31, 2022, 07:43 PM   #47
Webleymkv

My current CC guns rotate between my 2.25" Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum and my S&W Shield .40. My current HD handguns rotate between my Ruger SR45, 4" S&W 629, and 4" S&W M28. If I had to choose one "do all" handgun for both CC and HD from my collection, it'd probably be my 3" S&W M13.
Old September 1, 2022, 02:38 AM   #48
oughtsix

The closest I have is an XD mod 2 subcompact in .45 acp. It is my night stand gun but I only occasionally carry it when going to the big city because I have to dress for it.

13 rounds of .45acp at home and 9 rounds when I am carrying it.

The best part is that Springfield clearly marked the grip zone in case if I am in a panic and forget which part of the gun I am supposed to hang onto.
Old September 1, 2022, 01:16 PM   #49
KyJim

If not constrained to pocket carry due to clothing restraints, I will carry either a Commander or CCO-sized 1911, a Colt King Cobra (new model with 3-inch barrel), a SW Shield, or SW Compact. Whichever of these four I carried that day goes into the nightstand drawer for home defense.
Old September 1, 2022, 02:45 PM   #50
gwpercle

No Such Thing !
If there were a Do-It-All Pistol we would all own one of them and no others ...
How boring would that be .... No No No ... we need at least six ...

Is Six Enough , is Twelve Too Many ... I Must Have More Than One !
Gary