The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 7, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1
banditt007

You wont believe me if i tell you! Red Stag bagged on LI NY

Let me start by saying my good friend text messages me the other day, saying something about how his soon to be brother in law bagged an elk out east (eastern LI) with his bow. I immediately called BS. He swears to it, then today he tells me that its a red stag. Now i really tell him his future brother in law is blowing smoke up his rear end. Since as we know neither would live there, and one isn't even from this country!

So today he tells me that the DEC tested it and its true, and since he filled out his deer tag on it they are issuing him a new one, and now he has pics. So i arrive home to check my email thinking its going to be a stupid photo shop job, and no BS this is the real deal! Apparently there was a guy that raised these animals and some got loose. Thats the theory anyway since its all a big mystery on how many are out there, where they were from ect ect.

Anyway, i'm unsure of how he feels about me posting up pics, and most of them have him and or his license plate of his truck in them, but here are two that i think would be alright to post. Taken first day of bow (oct 1st i think) on the eastern end of LI. Apparently this is a 1st ever on long island, and i really want a taste of the meat!

Old October 7, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Scorch

Did he get to keep it?
Old October 7, 2009, 10:24 PM   #3
FrontSight

Holy shiv!! I know a great guide on LI that is gonna love hearing about this!!
Old October 7, 2009, 10:28 PM   #4
XLT

red deer meat is good, one of my favorites actually. If somehow there's a population and he didn't just run away from the circus, he needed to be taken out... haven't seen a spike that long ever.

Quite a few people have them behind high fences in the TX hill country where I'm from...
Old October 7, 2009, 10:33 PM   #5
banditt007

My buddy told me that the hunter figured he just got a retarded looking deer, and just brought it to the processer. WHen he got there they started talking about it and at that point decided to get the DEC involved. When they came down a biologist was also brought by the DEC and confirmed what they thought. As far as i know yes he got to keep it, i just hope he's got an honest processer! b/c w/ something like that i can easily see a switch-er-roo taking place w/ someone else's reg venison. I'll talk to him soon and find out from the horses mouth how this all took place. what a story, he really is a super nice/great guy. What a year for him, this and a wedding in a few weeks! I bet 2009 will always be remembered fondly by him.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:32 AM   #6
wyobohunter

What's more impressive to me is that there is hunting on Long Island. I would've guessed its all city & whatnot. Silly me
Old October 8, 2009, 09:31 AM   #7
FrontSight

wyobohunter: LI is defiitely not Alaska, but it's got an amazingly diverse abundance of natural areas for all kinds of hunting and fishing...waterfowl, deer, small game...
Old October 8, 2009, 09:37 AM   #8
wyobohunter

Cool, everybody should have someplace close to get into the woods.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9

I live in Michigan. Years ago while hunting near a game ranch I had an escapee fallow deer walk right within point blank range of my bow. I mean I had him down, gutted, and in the freezer. I didn't know the rules so I let him walk. I later called our DNR to get clarification. Not only could I have taken him, I didn't even have to burn a kill tag. That still frosts my cookies.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:54 PM   #10
FrontSight

This sunrise pic was taken during a goose hunt on Long Island...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goose hunt 2.jpg (169.3 KB, 56 views)