The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 7, 2022, 07:37 PM   #1
Pahoo

Misfire or fail to fire.

During our M/L classes, we bring up the problem of "Misfires or fail to fire" We all know that this is just one of a long list of problems when working with M/L's I do restoration work and help folks with some of these problems. A neighbor brought me a pistol that belonged to his father-in-law and asked me to check it out to make sure it was safe to fire. The pistol is a kit gun and looked like it had never been shot. Took to much for granted and although it was never capped, found that it was loaded. when I looked down the bore it did not look or feel like a PRB. This time I decided to pull whatever was in there. Much to my surprise, it turned out to be a AAA battery. the bore soon went from new and shiny to very dirty. Finally got it cleaned and glad to sent it beck to it's owner. I now can add this to my long list of "Stuff, I have cleared from a bore. ......
M/L's don't run on bateries .......

Be Safe !!!
Old March 8, 2022, 02:28 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Sounds like someone, sometime, mistook the term "in battery" for "battery in??

Muzzle loaders can be very peculiar critters. Most behave as expected, but some can be ...odd...

years ago, friend of mine built a .50 Hawken gun from a kit. Nice gun, shot well, but just didn't like to get started. Kind of like the 67 Ford Country Squire station wagon I learned to drive in. Once it finally got started, it ran fine all day, but getting it to fire the first time was a chore.

We tried all the usual things, finally stumbled on what worked reliably, and that was to pop 3 to 5 caps though it, THEN load the barrel. Done that way, the rifle fired first time, and would work fine (fire every time) all day after that.

Don't know what the precise cause was, once he found a way that worked, he stopped trying to figure out why...

and fwiw, the week before I took my driving test, my parents traded the station wagon and got a ....Maverick! (with a 302 ) parallel parking that was a breeze compared to the wagon!
Old March 14, 2022, 09:25 AM   #3
bladesmith 1

I had a table at a GUN and Knife show selling my hand made knives and a guy walks by with a 54 T/C for sale. I ask what he wanted and he said I don't know, what's it worth ? I said more than you're gonna get because inlines are the thing now. I told him to walk around and if you don't get an offer I'll give you 80$. Here, you can have it. Took it home and low and behold it was loaded. I had to pull the breech plug to get the PRB out. Having six of my own hand made MLing rifles and no use for it, I gave it to my granddaughter and she's shot a couple of deer with it.
The guy who ran the gun show heard about it the next day and man was there some new action at the door when you brought in a muzzle loader.
That's the first I ever heard of a battery down the barrel.
Old March 14, 2022, 10:18 AM   #4
Pahoo

Rule #2; all firearms are loaded; With what, is the question.

Quote:
I had a table at a GUN and Knife show selling my hand made knives and a guy walks by with a 54 T/C for sale.
I always take two bore lights with me, to inspect any M/L bores, wherever. Asked permission and inspected a TC New-Englander, at a dealer's table. I ease the light down the bore to take a look. Looked pretty clean and when I slid the light back out. there was some dirt that came with the light. Crushed the dirt between my singers and it was BP. Check it with the rod and could hear the dull sound of the ball as well as the measurement. Informed the dealer that it had a charge and he proceeded to debate the point. Finally he decided to take it off the rack and would confirm it "later". I'm happy that he chose to re-check it and hope that progressed up the lerning curve. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old March 14, 2022, 09:37 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

First I heard of a battery in the barrel. I'm not keeping up with modern muzzle loaders.
Old March 17, 2022, 03:54 PM   #6
Scorch

As a gunsmith, I have seen a lot of things in ML barrels, but never a battery. I have seen rocks, bolts, marbles, multiple balls (both patched and naked RB, and conicals), shot capsules, wooden bullets, ramrod ends, mud, water, and of course rust (lots of rust). And wasps, don't forget the wasps.

And I thought everybody knew you had to snap a few caps in any ML that's been cleand before it will fire, it was one of the first things I was taught about ML when I started about 45 years ago. That and don't pour powder down the barrel without blowing into it first to totally burn up the embers in the barrel. That one only takes one time of forgetting to re-learn the lesson.
Old March 17, 2022, 06:56 PM   #7
Pahoo

Working with M/L's can be challenging and enjoyable.

Quote:
And I thought everybody knew you had to snap a few caps in any ML that's been cleaned before it will fire
During our live-fire session of our Hunter Safet classes we "always" include this step. We demo three different ways but you have to keep in mind that not everyone who starts out on M/L's is aware of this important step. Most folks who start out, just expect to load and shoot. Another point we teach on all firearms, is to read your manual. Good luck with that one !!! ......

This battery that I pulled out was different but not much that the bore I had to remove pieces of modeling clay. ....

Be Safe !!!