The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 5, 2002, 05:44 PM   #1
Gunter

beat the muggers

From the paper:

Two junkies (19,20) armed with knives demand money from a man (35), who hands over his wallet. As the muggers put away their knives and turn to go, the victim turns the tables and beats on them barehanded, retrieves his wallet and pursues the muggers to a nearby police station, where LEOs apprehend the pair.

Legal in your home state? What if the victim had been armed with a knife? A gun? Better battle plan?

case 2 (next day):

At 9:30 pm two sisters armed with knives lurking in an entrance threaten a passer by (43) with their knives, demanding money. The intended victim kicks one of the knives away and himself draws a knife he had previously bought for his son (I don't believe this part, shops close at 7 pm - I think he carries a knife regularly). He pursues the two, alerting police via mobile phone who capture them.

comments?
Old June 6, 2002, 09:17 AM   #2
David Scott

In my case, either set of muggers would have been facing a Ruger P95.

Aside from that, both seem to be cases of legal self-defense, provided that the guy in the second case could legally carry the knife he used. Unless the jurisdiction has its head up its nether orifice on such matters, I don't see any problem for the defenders. They deserve a pat on the back.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
Old June 6, 2002, 12:21 PM   #3
foghornl

When CCW finally happens in Ohio, those clowns will find that they have brought knives to a gunfight.