The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 21, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Avier

Cheapest handguns.

Hi, guys. Im a young guy who wants to start his firearm collection early. So whats the cheapest full sized handgun that I can buy? I wanna start there and work my way up. I have a hi-point 380, but now I want a full sized handgun.
Old October 21, 2013, 11:52 PM   #2
militant

A Ruger MK3 can be had for around 300 and are actually great quality. The 22/45 version is full size. Used Glocks can be found pretty cheap as well.
Old October 22, 2013, 12:18 AM   #3
BarryLee

Used guns might be the place to start since they tend to offer the most “bang” for the buck. As mentioned GLOCKS are very common and good deals can be found along with plentiful parts/accessories. Also, the third generation Smith & Wesson pistols are pretty nice although availability isn’t what it was few years ago. One area to consider is Police trade-ins which generally have a lot of cosmetic wear, but are usually in decent mechanical shape.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 22, 2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Avier

Sorry, I guess I should've specified more. The Ruger wouldn't work because im also looking for one that I could carry.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:04 AM   #5
JimmyR

Let me seperate your question:

Best full size pistol for $300- I'd say a Ruger P series. They can be found in a variety of calibers, and are great quality weapons.

Now, for carry (especially concealed carry), I'd look at a Makarov. They are easily $250-$300, and the 9x18 is a quality defensive round.
Old October 22, 2013, 10:17 AM   #6
In memory of dad

Carry

Bersa thunder 9mm are high quality and can be found under 400 new all day long.
Old October 22, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7
biohazard313

smith and wesson SD40 VE. $349 NEW. i picked one up as my main carry pistol and it has outperformed my expectations. the trigger is a little stiff but loosens somewhat after 100-200 rounds through. 14 round mag gives you plenty on ammo in the mag. its light, takes down like a glock. easy to clean and maintain. only other drawback besides trigger is a plastic guide rod. ive put close to 1000 rounds through mine and it hasnt jammed or misfed once. its also available everywhere i have looked. bass pro, cabelas, gander mountain, LGS. one of my LGS had one for rent, i went and shot one day and purchased one as soon as i came off the range. def worth taking a look into
Old October 22, 2013, 02:21 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
Hi, guys. Im a young guy who wants to start his firearm collection early. So whats the cheapest full sized handgun that I can buy? I wanna start there and work my way up. I have a hi-point 380, but now I want a full sized handgun.

You best bet is probably a CZ-82.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 22, 2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Brandon79ta

For a range gun or even open carry (if it's legal where you live) as others have said anything from the Ruger P series. They are built like tanks, and just as heavy. Throw some adjustable sights on one, some shoot low with the factory fixed sights, and have fun.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:45 PM   #10
lamarw

Another alternative to take a look at is the Sig Sauer P250. It is a quality pistol and not a cheap pistol. You can probably get one in your price range. At least research it for five minutes on the Sig Web Site. The versatility in caliber and size is all within one fire control unit.
Old October 23, 2013, 12:48 PM   #11
chrisp51

SAR ARMS BP9 Its a turkish made CZ-75 clone with a polymer lower. They can be had for less than $300 and the one I shot convinced me to get one at the next gun show.
Old October 23, 2013, 12:59 PM   #12
burrhead

S&W M10.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:09 AM   #13
2000ShadowACE

I'll ad another vote for the Ruger P-95. One of the best guns ever and I truly regret trading mine.
Old October 24, 2013, 09:58 AM   #14
carguychris

I noticed one poster suggesting a S&W Model 10. Are revolvers out of the question?

I agree with most of the above suggestions. Here are a few others:
  • Tristar C, L, P, S, & T-series pistols. These are based on the Tanfoglio T-series and CZ 75, and are made by Canik55 in Turkey; Tristar is the US importer. I have not shot one, but they seem to get excellent reviews from everyone who does, and they're generally priced under $350. Your profile does not say where you live, but if you live in the South, I suggest looking for them at Academy Sports.
  • Stoeger Cougar, a license-built Turkish copy of the Beretta 8000, made using Beretta tooling.
  • In the used-gun cabinet, keep an eye out for the S&W SW99 and SW990, which are mildly restyled license-built versions of the Walther P99. These were mostly sold to police departments and seem quite unloved by American shooters on the secondary market; they generally sell for much cheaper prices than their Walther equivalents, and I've seen several with tags in the $275-$325 range. The SW99 was also offered in a .45ACP version, whereas the Walther was not.
Minor footnote about the SW99: I believe that many shooters may be inadvertently confusing the SW99 and SW990 with Sigma pistols that share the "SW" prefix; however, the prefix is the ONLY thing they share- the Sigmas are totally dissimilar otherwise. The 1st-gen Sigmas had a number of well-documented deficiencies: chronic extraction and ejection problems for the double-stack models (SW9C, SW9F, and SW9V), and difficult disassembly and generally poor build quality for the single-stack models (SW9M and SW380). These pistols are best avoided. Subsequent Sigmas, such as the current SD line, are much better.

Last edited by carguychris; October 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: info added...
Old October 24, 2013, 10:47 AM   #15
aarondhgraham

Go to the budsgunshop website,,,

Go to the budsgunshop website,,,
Select a manufacturer from the list on the left side of the page,,,
Then when all of the guns are displayed click on the "price" column header.

That will sort the prices from low to high so you can find the cheap ones.

Or do the power search with a caliber and "All Manufacturers" selected,,,
Do the same thing with the "Price" column header.

You will see all they have to offer,,,
Lowest price on top.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 24, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
Nathan

KelTec makes a good, but cheap gun.
Old October 24, 2013, 11:17 AM   #17
carguychris

Quote:
KelTec makes a good, but cheap gun.
Yes, but Kel-Tec does not make any full-size handguns other than the hard-to-get and specialized PMR-30, unless you count the quasi-SBR PLR-16 and PLR-22; I don't think the OP would be interested in PLR's, as he/she specifically mentions carry, and I presume this doesn't mean on a 1-point sling under a trench coat.
Old October 25, 2013, 04:19 AM   #18
Bozz10mm

You can pick up a 3rd Gen Glock 17 for about $499 at Bud's Gun Shop.
Old October 25, 2013, 04:24 AM   #19
RCPractitioner

Add me to the Ruger P series crowd. They are an excellent value. They are simple, reliable, accurate and built to outlast you.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:21 AM   #20
dayman

If you're "starting your collection", maybe don't rush to buy the cheapest thing available.
You already have a cheap - but serviceable - gun you can use while you save for something you'll actually enjoy as your collection matures.

For $3-400 you can find something that will work, but once you have $5-600 saved there are a ton of great options, and you'll have a much easier time finding something that matches your individual preferences. Extend that out a couple months and a bit more cash, and for $7-800 you can have pretty much anything you want.

Presuming you practice enough to be proficient you're going to wind up spending more on ammo than you do on the gun anyway, so I'd suggest getting something in 9mm.
9mm is - IMHO - the best "starter" center-fire choice. It has all the power you're likely to need, and costs far less to practice with than most other options.
A .38spl/.357 is a close second (or first if you want a revolver).

A .22 is a fantastic investment, but I definitely understand wanting to get something you can carry.
Go to some gun shops and handle some guns. Rent/shoot some if you can. Then - as you find out the things you like and the things you don't - you'll have a much easier time narrowing your selection down.
Even if you wind up going the budget route, there are enough options out there that there will be options you like and options you don't.
Old October 25, 2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Gbnk82

Definetly a ruger p series.my first handgun was a p95 i bave thousands of rounds thru it with no problems..id suggest the 95 or 97 depending on if you want a 9 or 45. These guns are near indestructible and for half the price of a glock.id say they are in the same class in terms of reliability..if you do some searching you can find one for about 300.at places like gander mountain they run about 400 (got mine for 365 and imho i would of gladly spent 150 more for the quality).if you go with one of these they are top of the line quality at great prices and i would easily trust my life to mine...happy shopping
Old October 26, 2013, 05:46 AM   #22
m&p45acp10+1

A guy gave me a. 25 ACP Raven last week end for fixing a gun for him. As well as 4 boxes of ammo for it. It hits minute of pop can at 5 yards.
Old October 26, 2013, 02:29 PM   #23
weblance

I bought a used, mint condition stainless Ruger P97(45acp) this morning for $340. These guns are built like trucks, are accurate, and reliable. You can certainly spend more, but you wont get a better value.
Old October 26, 2013, 11:50 PM   #24
b.thomas

Ruger p series or 3rd Gen S&W auto's! Both great handguns!
Old October 28, 2013, 06:56 PM   #25
larryh1108

The Taurus Millennium Pro line has been tweaked over the years to give a good, reliable gun at a very reasonable price. It's made for carry as well.