The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Metal god

How heavy can 10mm bullets get ?

I've been wanting to get a semi auto heavy thumper handgun and thought the 10mm would be just right . The desert eagle would be better but WAY to big both in size and cost and is why I'm looking at the 10mm .

Before you ask what this firearm will be for . Let me say mostly just for the fun of having a hard kicking big flash toy but still maybe a hunting side arm as a secondary option if the rifle fails and why I'm also looking at the heavier bullets . I watched some gel test using premium hollow point ammo which get that 12" to 18" penetration . That's not good enough if you have a bear charging you or other large animal about to stomp you .

In my mind with out any research I've been thinking a big 240gr bullet from a 10mm would be fun to shoot and likely penetrate deep . After looking into the caliber a little more . It seems 200gr seems to be it's general max weight .

Why is this the case ? Do the firearms them selves tend not to handle the heavy bullets ? or the cartridge design is not able to shoot anything much heavier then 200gr ?

Any added insight to the caliber is welcome .

Thanks
MG

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 8, 2017 at 02:24 AM.
Old October 6, 2017, 05:18 PM   #2
mavracer

you're really limited by OAL, A 240 is just going to limit your powder capacity too much.

Rimrock makes a 220 though.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 6, 2017, 05:48 PM   #3
condor bravo

I'm just using 175s in both a Kimber semi as well as a 10mm S&W revolver. The 175s give you plenty of recoil with the Kimber, making the hand ache some if not wearing gloves. Then it's time to switch to the heavier revolver for less punishment. But the Kimber is a nice streamlined looking item. As pointed out, the case is rather small for a 200 gr or heavier bullet.
Old October 6, 2017, 05:51 PM   #4
Metal god

I'm looking at a Glock because I'm in CA and the only other 10mm firearms sold here are 1911 platforms . I'm mentally not a fan of cocked and locked even though every striker fired gun is basically the same . Although it's more the idea of needing to disengage the safety before firing that turns me off .

So the polygonal barrel will be a limiting factor . How ever I've read that if I want to shoot full power 10mm loads in a Glock . I should buy an after market barrel that has a full supporting chamber . So if I were to do that I could then shoot lead .

I'm a big fan of the XD line that use the grip safety as well as the trigger safety . Although both are safety's just grabbing the gun and holding it correctly disengages those safety's with out any extra thought or effort . Springfield no longer sells the 10mm XD here in CA . They do still sell the 357sig which is an option but not my first one .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 6, 2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old October 6, 2017, 05:54 PM   #5
Astocks2622

I've found the 200 gr hardcast to be the best compromise between weight and velocity. I've seen 220 grain loads from Buffalo Bore, but in my testing, the 200 did the best for penetration. I get my 200gr handloads up just under 1300 fps it off a 4.75" barrel. The other benefit of the 10 mm over the Desert Eagle is capacity. You can have 14-15 on tap instead of 6-7...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old October 6, 2017, 06:03 PM   #6
Metal god

I just checked the CA approved handgun roster . There is a total of "9" 10mm firearms to choose from . 2 Kimbers & 7 Glocks and the Glock count really can be cut in half because the only difference some in models is the color .

Old October 6, 2017, 09:56 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I'm in CA
Yeah, me too.

Basically, all we have here is Glocks 20 & 29 (I have both); and a Springfield 1911. That may not be exactly accurate. Whatever. Point is, our choices are limited here in the sanctuary state, and it sux.

I like 10mm. I'm getting old and they beat me up a bit; but I like 'em none-the-less.

I load almost exclusively 180 grain bullets through the spectrum of power levels. (Dabbled with 165's, but I think they're best reserved for 10mm's little sister ) I've taken 180's to 1200 f/s using AA#7. AA#9 is very commonly recommended to me when I mention this - and it's probably good stuff. But I'm getting all the performance I need.

If I was loading 200 grainers, I would likely look toward AA#9 (or with 180's if the longer barreled Glock 40 was available here).

I'm meandering here a bit. Sorry. I think where I'm going with this is with my experience, I have little doubt that you could make some pretty nasty 200 grain ammo for 10mm - even though I've never done it myself.
Old October 6, 2017, 11:32 PM   #8
disseminator

So my favorite powder for 10mm is vvN105.

It shoots clean and accurate and gives top velocities with the heavy bullets.

I shoot Nosler 200g HP @ 1200fps and a 230g WFNGC (bullets sold under the doubletap name made by someone else though) @1100 fps.

These are from my Glock 20 with a Alpha Wolf 5.2" threaded barrel.

The 230g shoots great and has no issues feeding either. I tried some 200g WFNGC from the same vendor and they didn't feed very well for some reason, they kept hanging up on the feed ramp. Bullet profile is my guess.

If you really want a blaster, get a magnum revolver. If your set on 10mm, you'll get more fire and boom from lighter bullets than the heavy ones. Try a 135 Nosler at 1600 feet or so.

Old October 8, 2017, 12:48 AM   #9
jmr40

The 200 gr hardcast loads by Double Tap chrono right at the advertised 1300 fps in my G20. That load has stopped at least one brown bear attack in Alaska and taken at least one Cape buffalo in Africa. Penetration is excellent.

Winston Churchill
Old October 8, 2017, 02:37 AM   #10
Metal god

Thanks guys , lots of good info and help . Now to my second problem that goes along with my limited choices of firearm . I'm pretty much stuck with the Glock 20sf I believe as far as what my requirements are . The issue with that is I can only get the Gen 3 which has the finger grooves on the grip . I have large fat fingered hands and my fingers don't line up with the grooves . Mainly my middle finger gets jammed/compressed up against the trigger guard and It's uncomfortable , and that's just handling it in the store . I'm sure If I was shooting full power loads at best I would rub my finger raw with maybe some bruising . I've always wanted a Glock but they just don't feel good in my hand , at least the gen3 doesn't I almost bought a Glock back in the 90's but went with the Berretta 92g ( decocker no safety )

What would be the best way to modify the grip . Sand down that first finger lip thing ( Not sure what to call that It's not the groove ) or sand/notch out some of the underneath section of the trigger guard ?

I don't want to mess with the trigger guard if it contributes in any way to the strength of the frame .

EDIT : just found this and seems to answer the question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9axS0nbB8Co

Last edited by Metal god; October 8, 2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old October 10, 2017, 09:22 PM   #11
Chainsaw.

Look at the hard cast loadings from buffalo bore, many feet of penetration can be had by these rounds. Also check out some of the lehigh extreme penetrators loaded by underwood.

About shaving under the grip, have at it. Obviously dont go to far but making some room for the middle finger knuckle is really common. Same with the finger grooves, plenty of folks do that, and lots of guys actually make a living shaving grooves along with stippling.