The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 9, 2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Malabris

Mossberg 45A questions

My grandfather passed away a while back and had left behind quite a few rifles. None of my uncles are really into shooting, and as a result they've been sitting in one of my uncle's closet. Not too long ago, my uncle gave me one of grandfather's many rifles. It is a Wards Western Field 47A, an old bolt action 22. I did some research an found out that it was made by Mossberg and is the same as the 45A. He had bought this a couple of years before he had left to go fight in WWII, and used it quite often for the remainder of his life. From what I hear, this was his favorite rifle.

Anyways, I had taken it out to go shooting with it and quickly realized that this thing is DANGEROUS! At first it was shooting great, but after a very little bit, it had randomly fired a couple of times. I got into the practice of putting the safety on after every single shot to avoid this, but this really isn't something i'd like to do while plinking. Now, I've noticed that the bolt wont hold at all. If I try to cock it, immediately upon closing the bolt the firing pin will fire. If i put the safety on before I cock it, the bolt will hold, but it fires immediately when disengaging the safety, essentially making the safety the trigger. Can anybody tell me what is going on here? I would really like to get this thing functional again. I know it would be cheaper to just buy a new rifle, but that isn't the point. I have other rifles. I want to fix this one. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Doyle

Two possibilities readily come to mind. Either the oil inside the bolt/trigger assembly has gunked up really badly and is preventing the trigger engagement seer from holding. Or, the the engagement seer is worn down and needs to be replaced.

Since it hasn't been shot in a very long time the first is a real possibility. Remove the stock from the receiver and remove the bolt. Clean the trigger assembly and bolt REALLY well with brake cleaner and then LIGHTLY reoil with a good quality gun oil. Reassemble and take it to the range. If it still fires prematurely, take it to a gunsmith.
Old April 10, 2011, 11:14 PM   #3
gyvel

Here is an excellent link for an exploded view of the 45A trigger and receiver.

http://www.box54.com/ex35.jpg