The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 9, 2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Mothertrucker

1911 Holsters and Lights

Be warned multiple questions
Ok so here is the deal, after having my 1911 stolen from truck last year I finally bought a new one.
I am wanting to become an LEO. I have taken 2 semesters in criminal justice and i am about to start my FDLE training. My goal is to go with County Sheriff and our TAC division (like SWAT) I would like to carry my 1911 (i know some departments wont along certain firearms) but even if they dont heres my first questions.
1.)Do some Law departments allow the Thigh Rigs for regular duty carry?
2.)I really love the clean look of a surefire 310r but i know its near impossible to find one, does anyone make a clone? (apart from the airsoft clone by VFC, i have heard it will work the same if you use a extended or thicker slide release by surefire)
3.)If my options are limited to the add-on rail departments, how hard is it to find holsters or thigh rigs that work with a non-railed 1911, with an add on rail, and light..

Thanks for any help
Old May 9, 2013, 07:26 AM   #2
grizz223

Hi Mothertrucker

I am a Deputy Sheriff in Florida. I am assuming that you also live in Florida because you mention FDLE. I don't know of any departments in my area that allow their Deputy's to carry a 1911 because of the perceived notion that they are less safe because they are cocked and locked. We are not even allowed to carry a 1911 off duty due to department policy but if you’re like me you just find a way around it by getting a concealed carry permit. We are allowed to use thigh rigs in my county if you are in an elite unit like SWAT or CERT mostly because those high speed low drag types think it looks cool. If you have any questions just pm me
Old May 9, 2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Mothertrucker

Well thanks for that info.
I know I see most deputy's here in the panhandle carrying glocks, a few sigs, and I have seen one or two SW MP's.
I bough a glock 22 when I decided to get into law enforcement, and I just dont like them in my hand, I have a hard time finding sights.
But yeah i was curious about thigh rigs because I am a tall guy 6'6 and when i draw from the hip its a little awkward with my long arms, whenever i use my thigh rig i am quicker and it feels more natural.
I know i have a 1 year "probational" period once I join but it is my goal to join SWAT as soon as I can, SWAT or Narcotics. My wife pokes a little fun at me when we go to the gun range because I run drills and practice various techniques, like drawing, reloads, switches from my AR to my sidearm. I am luck enough that my brother has a farm and we have 3 shooting lanes built into it @ 50 yards, 100 yards, and 300 yards.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Alabama Shooter

Our County Department all carry 1911 pistols (semi-rural Alabama). None of the patrol officers carry a light on their weapon that I know of nor use a thigh holster. Most of the SWAT team guys have thigh holsters. I believe the department provides most weapons to the officers for duty free of charge.

Personally I don't like thigh holsters and prefer a chest rig when wearing armor and waist carry when not. It tends to be a bit more comfortable.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Mothertrucker

Yea, im in panhandle FL, close to lower alabama, the county i want to work in is considered rural.
I prefer a weapon light, but i have been training/practicing shooting with a normal light. I just dont like have both hands occupied. Like we thought someone was trying to break in a few months back and my nightstand gun, at the time, had no light. So when opening doors and so forth I hated having to make the decision of putting down my light and losing visibility or putting up my firearm to go through a door way.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:18 AM   #6
tg461

1911 Holsters and Lights

What county? I lived in the panhandle for many years before moving to Birmingham to become an LEO. we are not allowed to carry a 1911 but we can off duty if we have a pistol permit. You still have to carry it. We are not allowed thigh holsters but Tact uses them on calls.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Mothertrucker

In Escambia County.
But I want to work for Santa Rosa County
I got to see TAC raid my neighbor's house as he was making meth and selling pills. It was awesome, kinda what inspired me to change careers
I was in college for Graphic design, then i switched to criminal justice after that haha
Old May 9, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
tg461

1911 Holsters and Lights

If you can still do the academy without being a criminal justice major I'd suggest switching it. Criminal justice degrees are a dime a dozen in law enforcement. Psychology, Public administration, Business administration are what will help. Good luck getting a job down there. I was in Pensacola when I decided to live up here. I'd been trying there for 2 years. Got hired by Birmingham in 6 months.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Mothertrucker

That is the hard thing about Pensacola, so much military, they give their pound of flesh for out Country then a lot want to become cops, so they get jobs before I would.
And I am, I should start FDLE traingin in august. I was just starting my 2nd semester (which i just finished last week) when I found out you dont need a degree, lol. But I found out if you have an associates degree you do get a pay raise. Plus I have taken criminal law, constitutional law, victimology. This gives me an advantage i feel.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:53 PM   #10
grizz223

Mothertrucker
I will tell you a little secret the easiest way into law enforcement is Corrections plus you learn how to talk to people and deal with things that your average road deputy has never seen before. Needless to say that is how I started in FDOC spent a couple of years there learned the ropes went to the County and the road. Never looked back and learned so much. To be honest a lot of our road deputies should have gone to the jail first and learned that they work for the people not the other way around. Still keep my duel certification always over time at the jail if I need it.
Old May 9, 2013, 05:34 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

SIG-Sauer training center, 1911a1 sidearms...

FWIW; SIG Sauer operates a training center in metro Orlando FL. They may be open to the general public or new LE cadets. The Orlando PD uses the P226R in 9x19mm. SWAT & detectives(homicide, DED/narcotics, etc) use the P226R or P229R in .40 or .357sig.
The Osceola County Sheriff's Office uses the Gen 04 Glock 17 9x19mm & are authorized to use the Glock 26 9mm, 19, 22/23 .40S&W. The Orange County Sheriff's Office has issued the Glock 21 series since 2002 with good results. Sworn deputies & detectives also tote Bushmaster M4s in 5.56mm, Remington 870 pump shotguns, HK UMP .45acp SMGs(select fire) & X26 Tasers(EDWs).
Orange County also hosts the big SWAT round-up every year. A event for sworn LE tactical units & spec ops. See www.OCSO.com or contact the NTOA; National Tactical Officers Assoc.
To my limited knowledge, no sworn LE SRT or SWAT members in central FL carry 1911a1 .45acp sidearms with or w/o white lights.
Most sworn officers or agents I've seen use Glocks or SIG Sauers. The Daytona Beach FL SWAT unit is all volunteer so those officers may use 1911a1 models depending on the PD's regulations or policy.
I've used a 1911a1 .45acp on duty for 12mo as a lower enlisted MP in the US Army. I'd carry it if required but I wouldn't pick it as a SWAT or SRT sidearm. Many working cops & spec ops use SAO or SRT(short reset trigger) pistols but Id want a P220R DAK(Double Action Kessleman) or a HK45 LEM(law enforcement modification). The Viridian green laser/white light is a good add-on.

CF
Old May 9, 2013, 06:11 PM   #12
FireForged

Focus on an effort to be obviously more fit than any person you have ever met in your life, finish your schooling, develop a positive team mentality coupled with a real understanding of what a professional work ethic really is, study the principles of leadership and communication.. work towards getting your foot in the door and when it happens, work hard and don't expect a special assignment for several years. During that time, demonstrate your ability to do your job well and look out for your brothers by being loyal and dependable. Stay away from drama, gossip and rumor... don't waste sick leave or abuse personal leave, don't be the fist to head home at the end of shift, don't duck or avoid calls and always be there when someone needs a little extra help.... get all that down pat and don't worry about how you can wear your gear or what pistol you can carry.
Old May 9, 2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Mothertrucker

Yeah if i couldnt carry my 1911 Id carry a sig, I have shot them and use a 22lr version for plinking and i love them

As far as work ethic, I will admit I love criminal justice but i have been more of a book burner or study freak up until April 2nd, my son was stillborn. And I dont know why that but that motivated be, a week after I started running, and now I have started lifting weights.
Now I work out 7 days a week, both cardio and strength, I go to shooting range every weekend, and my full focus is my career in law enforcement.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:14 PM   #14
Corrections Cop

Good luck to you Mother. I would just try and get a get job in LEO and don't worry about what gun you carry. Most of the time you carry what they give you, just be lucky to get a job. And they will teach you the way they want you to shoot, every department does that. Our MCOLES (Police Licensing Board) trains way different than the Department of Corrections. I tried for 2 yrs to get a LEO Job, no one was hiring here in MI, and when they did they would hire one officer and 200 people would apply for it. That's how I ended up in corrections, almost 7 yrs later I am a Sergeant at one of our state prisons. I guess what I am trying to say is don't get to ahead of your self, get the job first and everything else will fall into place.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:06 AM   #15
Mothertrucker

Well thank you everyone for your advice
Old May 10, 2013, 08:09 AM   #16
Mothertrucker

I do have a question back to 1911 with light, It looks like I may not be able to get my 310r, so I was looking at add on rails and I saw this one by Urband Advantage called SPRS, anyone have any experience with them?
Old May 10, 2013, 08:36 AM   #17
ClydeFrog

SAS or drop type rigs...

There are a few high quality brands re: SAS or drop leg holsters/gear.
The big names include; Safariland Blade-tech Blackhawk Bianchi-intl.
Safariland has many great features & security styles(ALS, weapon-light, SFS).
Blackhawk has the SERPA. To my limited knowledge, the holster was issued to the USMC for combat ops in OIF/OEF. Some armed professionals knock the SERPA design. I see the points for extreme hard use(desert, mud, snow, etc) but I own a SERPA for my M&P full size with 0 problems.
The Bianchi M12(UM92II) has a lot to offer. You can wear it SAS(Special Air Service) style or on your side, tanker or cross-draw.
The nylon Cobra line can handle 1911 pistols with lasers/white-lights.

Blade-tech drop leg holsters(thumb drive) are popular with a few "operators" & SWAT/SRT. Former Delta/SFOD-1 member & respected tactics instructor; Larry Vickers uses the Blade-tech.

ClydeFrog
Old May 20, 2013, 09:50 AM   #18
Mothertrucker

Well some of you might have heard of Owen Black, missing autistic child in Perdido, well my wife and I went to volunteer as part of a search party. Well I noticed when dealing with my Local Sheriff in helping out with search, he carries an Ivory gripped 1911.

There might be some hope in my carrying one after all