The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 7, 2015, 08:25 PM   #1
tahunua001

hunting pack supplies.

hello all,
to be perfectly honest this post is pulling double duty. I am looking for some lightweight survival equipment which is primarily for a bug out bag but would also be useful in a hunting pack. I prefer to stay out of the SHTF forums because frankly those guys are so crazy that they even make me uncomfortable. so basically what I'm looking for reviews on is:

1. waterproof match containers.

2. lightweight hunting knives(preferably folding knives).

3. meal suppliment(protien bars, MREs, ETC).

4. flashlights.

and while we're on the subject, lightweight, durable packs. I'm thinking a full backpack for the BOB and a fanny pack for the hunting pack.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Doyle

What goes into a hunting pack is entirely dependent on where you hunt. Are you hiking all day through the woods/mountains or are you sitting in a stand? Are you only going to be a short distance from your camp or truck or will you be more than a mile or so?

At the very least, you'll need "comfort" items. Snacks, water, butt wipes (I prefer 1/3 sheets of high-quality paper towels in the damp woods), bug repellent, etc. As to flashlights, knives, game cleaning supplies, extra clothes, etc. - that all depends on the distance to camp or your truck. When I used to hunt on a lease, I was never more than about 1/2 mile from camp and seldom more than a hundred yards or so that could be driven to with the truck if needed. Therefore, no need to carry game cleaning supplies, tracking lights, extra clothing, etc.

Now that I have to hunt public land and the good areas are at least a mile from the nearest road, I have to bring everything I need on my back.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:46 PM   #3
tahunua001

I hunt a wide array of terrain, but rarely stay within 1 mile of my truck or camp. a lot of times I'm hiking for 6 hours straight sometimes as much as 12. I normally carry either protein bars or granola bars, a bottle of water, paracord, a GPS, and have taken to packing a travel pack of wet wipes. however my GPS has been buggy from day one and I have been led in circles more than once by that POS and on the off chance that I get lost and have to stay out all night, I think things like a fire kit and flash light might come in handy.
Old February 7, 2015, 10:10 PM   #4
reynolds357

The P.L.B. technology has greatly changed how much you absolutely have in your pack. Now you can pack to survive a day or two as opposed to having to take supplies for the worst case scenario. If you really get in a jam, push the button.
Old February 7, 2015, 11:03 PM   #5
Blindstitch

Pick up a small hatchet or limb saw. Match containers don't need anything special besides an oring seal. Guess it depends on how many matches you need but I always bring a lighter also. Cheap clip on compass costs like $2.

For a flashlight you will probably want something led that can also take a normal (AA, AAA, C) type battery.

Get some rope like paracord, a small tarp 5x7 ish,

Beyond that there's whatever you may want and sources of food but that should get you started.

Some people may opt to have a large knife that they can hit with a log instead of the hatchet.
Old February 8, 2015, 03:03 AM   #6
hartcreek

Here we go again.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...+pack+supplies
Old February 8, 2015, 11:17 AM   #7
tahunua001

I don't see too many parallels between that thread and mine. aside from the fact that thread is a year and a half old.

1. I served in the military and I can tell you that MILSPEC means diddly squat in terms of quality. my $140 dress coat was ruined by being rained on, food came in boxes that said "fit for military/prison consumption", TP was so thin you could see through it, pens broke after you signed your name twice... absolutely nothing I worked with was quality and if the military uses it, that's just one reason I'll never spend money on it.

2. the reason for this thread is mostly about the little things, bags are just a secondary objective.

3. although I am looking for stuff that would be useful in a BOB, I think the odds of needing one are slim, however with my terrible sense of direction, my GPS' even worse sense of direction and my proclivity towards staying outdoors as much as possible, needing this same stuff for a hunting bag is much more important.

4. I am very good at making bullet points.

Last edited by tahunua001; February 8, 2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old February 8, 2015, 08:22 PM   #8
camper4lyfe

Grab an emergency blanket in there too. It weighs nothing, takes up next to no space, and could save your life should you need it.
Old February 8, 2015, 08:31 PM   #9
jmr40

In my hunting pack I carry:

4-5" fixed blade knife, the folders stay in my pocket
Folding saw for cutting through bone
Disposable rubber gloves for dressing game
10-20' paracord
Toilet paper
At least 2 methods to start fires
Small flashlight with extra batteries
Small light that clips to hat brim.
Compass
First aid kit with Ibuprophen (or any other medication as needed)
Pen
Multi-tool.
Protein bars, peanuts, etc.
Water

Those items are always there. Depending on the conditions and what I'm hunting, gloves, jackets, bug spray, GPS, etc.

I don't keep the same gear in there during archery season that I do in rifle season or turkey other than the basics. I keep spare ammo for the appropriate game hunted as well as calls, etc. In a nutshell the bag is always ready to go. During hunting season I just grap the bow, rifle or shotgun and pick up the bag and I'm good to go.
Old February 9, 2015, 04:48 AM   #10
hartcreek

Two of my hunting companions are younger guys and they like camel backs. I find camelback to be not so good. You eever try to make cofee or tea ina camel back so I insist on stainless steel bottles and carry tea bags and water sterilization tabs. The young guys ran out of water early archery as it was hot.....I just refilled from the creek and dropped in two pills.
Old February 9, 2015, 09:49 AM   #11
tahunua001

that's actually a very good idea. I hadn't thought of that.
however I think that people are missunderstanding the purpose of this thread. I am looking for pruduct reviews on specific items, not looking for what types of items I need to stock. I will be looking into those tabs though.
Old February 9, 2015, 10:42 AM   #12
kraigwy

Being a wimp, I go light. But I get by quite comfortable.

I always have my coffee and cigarettes. Not giving those up. With the cigs I have a couple of bic lighters.

I don't fire starters, never needed them. Get to where you can build a fire in a rain storm with just a pocket knife and your bic lighters.

I carry a GI poncho and poncho liner. In the winter I carry a light weight down sleeping bag. I've since replaced the poncho with a small tent foot print I got from REI. Its water and wind proof, lighter then the poncho and stuffs in little bitty stuff bag.

I don't carry water either. I do have light weight water purification gadget that turns water from mud puddles in to clean clear water.

I carry a tin cup and an arctic canteen w/canteen cup. In the morning, and sometimes through the day I make coffee which stays hot in my canteen.

About the only food I carry is oat meal packet. Unless I'm hunting I don't carry a gun except for my pocket revolver (S&W 642) which I carry 24/7 anyway. Its great to pick up a rabbit or two.

A map (1:24000) and compass. The never need batteries.

If I'm not out and about this outfit stays in my truck, or I switch it to my MC, boat, ATV, horse, or what ever.

Now since I'm old and wife thinks I'm about to keel over any minute so to make her happy I carry a sat phone.

I doubt the whole outfit weights more then 15 lbs.

I use to teach Arctic Survival. One thing I've seen is people carry way too much crap they don't need.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I'm not on foot, as on my ATV, truck or boat, I do become a gadget man. I have my GPS, G7 Range finder. portable solar battery charger. Kindle,

All the stuff you don't need but fun to play with.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 9, 2015, 11:06 AM   #13
cnimrod

Just bought this pack and find it very comfortable. I t may be larger than what you need but for hunting in cold weather i can bring plenty of extra clothing. it does have a camel back which is convenient for staying hydrated on the move but i did have the mouthpiece freeze shut on me out in 9 degrees. keep it ticked in the neck of my jacket now and i'm sure to blow the water out of the tube after a drink.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104392080

Done a number of extended (7-10 days) wilderness treks with a Princeton Tec, Remix headlamp and love it - Maybe not the brightest out there but Great on batteries.

Always gotten by with a cheap bic lighter but a small tea candle can really help get a fire started when everything is wet.

Happy hunting
Cliff
Old February 9, 2015, 12:59 PM   #14
SPEMack618

Between generally sheparding around my sisters and being an Eagle Scout, I generally carry a ruck with assorted sundries.

First aid kit
Compass
Map
Matches/dryer lint
Couple of nalgenes
A few grocery sacks
Snacks
Field dressing kit
Flagging tape
Space blanket
Signal mirror

On my person, I generally have lip balm, a Multi-Tool, ammo pouch, lighter, watch, Swiss Army Knife and a whistle.

It all fits nicely in an old book bags that started life as a very pleasant forest green with my sister's monogram on it and is now has a more effective pattern of stained dirt than anything in Multi-Cam.

Multi tool wise is a Leatherman Wave.

CLIF Bars are hard to beat for energy on the go.

L.L. Bean makes a good book bag, it's what my Sister's is.

Last edited by SPEMack618; February 9, 2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old February 10, 2015, 03:22 PM   #15
6.5swedeforelk

Tahunua, you could say that I've done a 40yr
in-field test on magnesium fire starters.

They have worked when I just could not clear a bic's wheel after taking a dunking.

Water seems to have a magnetic pull on me, magnified 10x when covered by ice!
The -42f wind chill has a way of taking the humor out of the situation...
Old February 10, 2015, 04:58 PM   #16
123kiwi

Ive been using an LED Lenser headtorch, SEO7 rechargeable, for a year and a half now and highly recommend it. Light lasts all night if not set on high power and it can also take normal batteries if you get caught out...
Heaps lighter than the H14 I was using and very useable light...
Old February 11, 2015, 04:14 PM   #17
TimSr

I'll add a couple of gallon size, and a couple of sandwich size ziplock bags. They are always coming in handy for field cleaning rabbits, to a deer heart. I also carry the travel size packet of wet diaper wipes instead of paper towels when deer hunting. Another thing that has come in handy countless times is a roll of blaze orange duct tape. Its great for everything from trail marking, to slapping a few patches on any animla you might throw over your shoulder, to bandaging a deeply sliced finger one time.

They still make matches? I carry Bic in my pack, and I carry one in my pocket which is great for testing wind direction, even when its barely moving.