The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 19, 2020, 04:59 PM   #1
TheOdessa

Ruger LCP Build Thread/MOD Review - Quest from hate to acceptable

Hey guys. Long long time lurker. I decided to join the forum to share my quest on my LCP build as I didn't really see a lot of questions that I personally had answered. I'll first share my build, mods done to accomplish goals, then thoughts.

A little about me. Long time shooter and gun owner of various firearms. Bought my first gun at 21 to train and carry (PF9) on my college budget. At 33 I now have 18 guns to fill various roles, or try to, and just to own because I wanted it.

The LCP is a gun people either love or hate. I hated it when I first bought it, but found it to an absolute dream to carry being in Florida and being a business professional. I've tried many other guns as carry but the LCP kept finding its way out the door with me.

It's a Ruger LCP Gen 1 (dash in serial number)

Mods:

Polished barrel and feed ramp - Done for looks and reliable ammo loading.
(I used Mother's Polish and Dremel)

Lasermax Laser - Sights on the gen 1 is terrible. Also for night scenarios.
https://www.amazon.com/LaseMax-Cente...9925849&sr=8-1

Hogue Grip - This little guy has kick to it. This helps a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Handall...9925981&sr=8-2

Talon Granulate Grips - Bought it before the hogue. Didn't give me the grip I wanted but left it on.
https://www.amazon.com/TALON-Grips-5...9926000&sr=8-1

Galloway Precision Peacekeeper Trigger - I had the Sweet Pea but according to Galloway this trigger has a 25% less pull. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's 25%. I would say 10% maybe but I like the flat face design and red look.
https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/...er-lcp-pistols

Arachnigrip - Racking the slide isn't fun with sweaty hands. This helps a ton.
https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Model-B...9926087&sr=8-1

13lb Wolff springs - Helps with muzzle flip and recoil.
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod42416.aspx

M.CARBO lightweight trigger springs - Coupled with the trigger, it makes a huge difference on follow up shots. One of my favorite mods.
https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-lcp-tri...r-upgrade.aspx

M.Carbo stainless steel slide rod - Bought it mostly for looks and ensure reliability.
https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-lcp-/-l...guide-rod.aspx

Mag guts +1 for magazine - an additional round is always good to have.
https://magguts.com/product/ruger-lcp-magguts/

Painted sights - The thought was there to improve the sights but when your sights are tiny to begin with it doesn't do much, but I'll take it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vedder light tuck holster - It works on everything from going out to gym shorts to business attire to tuck your shirt in. Absolutely love Vedder holsters.
https://www.vedderholsters.com/lighttuck/

Future mods: Innovative Arms Sights
https://innovativearms.com/portfolio/sight-upgrade/

Thoughts - I hate to love this gun. It conceals great. I've trained a ton with it. I've learned it and how to shoot it accurately but she isn't exactly fun to train with. She doesn't lock as the last round. Her sights suck (which will cost more $175 to fix). I had to mod it a ton to get it where I found it acceptable. Will I keep carrying? Yes. Will I love carrying it? No. Am I confident though? Yes.

I've been eyeing other guns like the Springfield 911 in 380. Not sure I'll like it due to weight but we will see.

I know I'm sounding picky. I know I'm looking for a unicorn - but for now this will do. I hope this helps someone out there looking to like their LCP and let me know if you have questions.

Last edited by TheOdessa; May 19, 2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old May 19, 2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Forte S+W

Nice LCP.

I myself EDC a Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary Edition, which is basically just the LCP Custom with a Stainless Steel Slide, front slide serrations, and lower profile Gen 2 style milled sights.

It was the first polymer framed firearm I ever purchased, and I only did so after a particularly scorching hot Summer made carrying my Walther PPK/S a complete nightmare, but it has since become an integral part of my EDC arsenal which I quite literally carry with me everywhere, even on trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Old May 19, 2020, 08:44 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
Hey guys. Long long time lurker. I decided to join the forum to share my quest on my LCP build as I didn't really see a lot of questions that I personally had answered. I'll first share my build, mods done to accomplish goals, then thoughts.

A little about me. Long time shooter and gun owner of various firearms. Bought my first gun at 21 to train and carry (PF9) on my college budget. At 33 I now have 18 guns to fill various roles, or try to, and just to own because I wanted it.

The LCP is a gun people either love or hate. I hated it when I first bought it, but found it to an absolute dream to carry being in Florida and being a business professional. I've tried many other guns as carry but the LCP kept finding its way out the door with me.

It's a Ruger LCP Gen 1 (dash in serial number)
OK, I'll dig in. I have that very same LCP. First model, but after they fixed the initial problem they had that led to their recall.

Anyways...

Quote:
Mods:

Polished barrel and feed ramp - Done for looks and reliable ammo loading.
(I used Mother's Polish and Dremel)
Don't see the need. Mine has fed fine.

Quote:
Lasermax Laser - Sights on the gen 1 is terrible. Also for night scenarios.
https://www.amazon.com/LaseMax-Cente...9925849&sr=8-1
I'd rather go with a Crimson Trace Laserguard, for the switch in the grip I don't have to think about.

Quote:
Hogue Grip - This little guy has kick to it. This helps a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Handall...9925981&sr=8-2
Have this grip. Great addition to the LCP.

Quote:
Talon Granulate Grips - Bought it before the hogue. Didn't give me the grip I wanted but left it on.
I like talon grips, but with the Hogue, don't need it.

Quote:
Galloway Precision Peacekeeper Trigger - I had the Sweet Pea but according to Galloway this trigger has a 25% less pull. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's 25%. I would say 10% maybe but I like the flat face design and red look.
And I'm going to go against common opinion on this. The original LCP trigger is fine for the sort of gun the LCP is. It does not need to be made shorter or lighter.

Quote:
Arachnigrip - Racking the slide isn't fun with sweaty hands. This helps a ton.
Might be useful.

Quote:
13lb Wolff springs - Helps with muzzle flip and recoil.

M.CARBO lightweight trigger springs - Coupled with the trigger, it makes a huge difference on follow up shots. One of my favorite mods.

M.Carbo stainless steel slide rod - Bought it mostly for looks and ensure reliability.
Don't need, don't need, don't need. See above comment about LCP trigger.
Quote:
Mag guts +1 for magazine - an additional round is always good to have.
Not sure I want to trust a third part magazine modification.

Quote:
Painted sights - The thought was there to improve the sights but when your sights are tiny to begin with it doesn't do much, but I'll take it.

Future mods: Innovative Arms Sights
The biggest shortcoming of the LCP is its "sights". I tried painting mine. It came off right away.

Quote:
Vedder light tuck holster - It works on everything from going out to gym shorts to business attire to tuck your shirt in. Absolutely love Vedder holsters.
The LCP is one gun I never got a belt holster for, only a pocket holster. DeSantis Nemesis, all you need.

Quote:
Thoughts - I hate to love this gun. It conceals great. I've trained a ton with it. I've learned it and how to shoot it accurately but she isn't exactly fun to train with. She doesn't lock as the last round. Her sights suck (which will cost more $175 to fix). I had to mod it a ton to get it where I found it acceptable. Will I keep carrying? Yes. Will I love carrying it? No. Am I confident though? Yes.

I've been eyeing other guns like the Springfield 911 in 380. Not sure I'll like it due to weight but we will see.
Prices collapsed on the LCPs, once Ruger was ramping up to bring out the LCP2. So, I'd never get much back out of it if I sold. If I was to do it again, I'd probably be looking at the LCP Custom (with better sights from the factory), or S&W Bodyguard .380 (w/out laser).
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; May 20, 2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:22 AM   #4
TheOdessa

Very fair replies and I appreciate the input. I guess I was trying to make a pocket gun more then it was made to be or my expectations were too high. I have many other guns I own and shoot and sometimes I felt like I was trying to make it something it wasn't. With modification I am happy with it. Without the mods I really didn't like it at all.

The LCP has really gone down in price - agreed. It really kicked off the pocket carry trend but with new guns on the market I feel like it phased out a bit. I still see them popular on sites such as gunbroker and such with people bidding so there is still an interest.

I've tried the LCP 2, I own a Kahr CW380. Those are the smallest pistols I tried or own to compare and I just keep going back to the LCP. I may bite on the 911 by Springfield as I absolutely love my 1911s but we will see how that goes. I was just hoping to help people out who may be on the fence with the gun to perhaps give it another chance with mods.

I also do have a Nemesis holster as well. I also have various other holsters for the gun such as ankle and side back but the vedder keeps me happy.

I forgot to mention, I've also lined an old altoids can with felt and can fit 2 factory mags in there nicely. That also helps with carry with reloads if needed. My only qualm with that is the last side stuck open. I don't see myself round counting under a high stress SD situation.

I also want to state this gun has been 100% reliable with mods made. No issues and this gun gets shot a lot. Every time I hit the range she gets 50-100 rounds put through it. No issues. If I ever have an issue with reliability or feel like a mod doesn't help in a certain way I take it off. I've never ran into this with mods done on some of my guns but just throwing it out there.

Last edited by TheOdessa; May 20, 2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old May 20, 2020, 11:03 AM   #5
Mosin44az

I have a Gen1 with the Hogue wraparound like you got, and a Sweet Pea trigger. Both major improvements.

I also sprang for the redone slide with night sight from Innovative Arms, the $175 job I think you were referring to. Definitely solves the sight issue with the Gen 1.

Pricey, but well done and they are easy to deal with.

Not a fan of lasers personally. Have to train with them and I’m always concerned I won’t pick up the dot fast enough. But I admit that’s a less expensive alternative.

I tried the 13 pound spring from Hogue but it caused malfunctioning on mine. Went back to standard, but with the Hogue and extended mag base plates recoil is fine. I’m sure I’ve gotten used to it also.

In my opinion Ruger fixed the main fixable problems with the LCP—the “sights” and trigger— with both the LCP II and the Gen 2. The Hogue wraparound and the finger extensions on the mag bases largely handle the recoil issue, to the extent you can.

Last edited by Mosin44az; May 20, 2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:10 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

My mods on my EDC Elsie Pea:
1. Smoothed and polished edges from ten years of pocket carry in
a DeSantis Nemesis
2. Smoothed and polished insides from thousands of rounds fired.
3. Hogue grip sleeve because it adds a little needed bulk in the hand. Recoil has never been a problem.
Shoots and functions as good as the day I bought it!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 20, 2020, 01:24 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

I would probably spend $100 more on an LCP gen2 today if it were the exact same size but with real sights.

(not Custom crap sights either)
Old May 20, 2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Mosin44az

Wild cat, you think the Gen 2 sights are still too small?
Old May 20, 2020, 08:31 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

I'm mixed on this. To me, the LCP is an easy to carry CCW gun that was designed for close quarter encounters. If you need more features, you should look for another gun.

I have a first series LCP and other than a Hogue grip, Ive done nothing to the gun. It runs 100%, shoot well for what it is and I carry it often. In fact, it's my most carried gun even with it's limitations. I know what those are and accept them.

Now, as far as the OP, if all of those additions give you more confidence in your gun, and you carry it more often, I'm all in, even if it isn't for me.
Old May 20, 2020, 09:07 PM   #10
wild cat mccane

Yeah, I personally do.

I think my Custom sights are kinda ridiculous too.

Take the height of the Custom LCP's sights, but just add actual real gun sights.

I know a company milled and put sights on LCPs, but think they are done now?

Meh. If Ruger sold an LCP gen2 (not LCP II) with real sights...I would spend $300 on it. Sure, totally overpriced. But the LCP is just unbeatable for carry. The lack of sights feels like like a cost thing more than a technical thing.

I do know the Custom had front sights fall off that required total replacement of the slide though..

Meh. Ruger. 300 bucks and I would buy it tomorrow. LCP Gen2, in stainless, with real three dot sights.

Boom. I would post pics of it in a week
Old May 20, 2020, 10:25 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Always talk of sights on the LCP. Why? It ain't no target pistol, never was, never will be. Putting some kind of three dot "real" sights on a 380 mousegun is like adding a laser guidance system to a hammer. Completely unnessary!
It's a pull, point, squeeze self defense belly gun.
The very best attribute to me is that the LCP points so natually that sights aren't even needed at the range it was intended to be used.
Old May 21, 2020, 06:12 AM   #12
kozak6

Be careful changing the batteries on that laser.

When it comes time to snap it back together, everything has to be lined up just right, and you need to be careful and gentle.

Otherwise, you might just shear the post off the internal switch .

What do you think of the CW380 compared to the LCP?
Old May 21, 2020, 09:48 AM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Always talk of sights on the LCP. Why? It ain't no target pistol, never was, never will be. Putting some kind of three dot "real" sights on a 380 mousegun is like adding a laser guidance system to a hammer. Completely unnessary!
It's a pull, point, squeeze self defense belly gun.
The very best attribute to me is that the LCP points so natually that sights aren't even needed at the range it was intended to be used.
Small pocket guns can do a lot more than just be a belly gun. Those that train often with them will totally disagree withyour statement.
They at least need a good front sight. Someone skilled can do head shots rapid fire at 15 yds. And if you are going to carry a gun, any gun then become skilled with it. Otherwise do not carry it. To some owners they make them range guns. If you believe they are just gut guns, then you will never get better, never see improvement in your skills.
Train with them often. Become proficient. These guns have enormous potential as a self defense gun.
Old May 21, 2020, 08:52 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

I hit really well with the stock sights.

I'm just saying, it wouldn't change anything about the LCP but improve it to have a real sight option out there. And I would buy it.

It's not the lack of sights that makes the LCP carry better than all the others I've owned. It's lighter, thin, and rounded with a forward slanted slide that makes it carry better than all the others. Adding sights? doesn't change that at all.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 22, 2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old May 22, 2020, 04:55 AM   #15
Adventurer 2

I got rid of my LCP in favor of a Kahr CW380 The LCP had a long heavy trigger and much more felt recoil. My favorite CCW 380 is a Colt Mustang pocket lite. Shoots surprisingly larger than its size.
Old May 22, 2020, 06:53 AM   #16
dannyb

I have an LCP Custom. The trigger is better than the LCP Gen 1 and the sights are better too. I had trouble with it being extremely ammo finicky until I swapped out the 9 lb. recoil spring for an 11 lb. recoil spring. Now it eats everything I feed with no burps.

Regarding the Mustang Pocket Lite - I carried one for a while but replaced it with a hard-to-find Colt Pony Pocket Lite. I prefer DAO in a pocket pistol. The LCP custom replaced the Pony because of weight issues (gun, mine is another matter).
Old May 22, 2020, 07:56 PM   #17
franco45

I carried a first generation LCP for several years when they first came out. It was 100% reliable and a joy to carry. Since then I've owned several pocket 380s. I currently own 2 RM380s and a Kahr P380 but I missed my LCP. I bought an LCP Custom and here I sit waiting for the slide to be returned from Ruger. I took it to the range once. The front sight fell off after 200 rounds.
Old May 22, 2020, 09:08 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I bought an LCP Custom and here I sit waiting for the slide to be returned from Ruger. I took it to the range once. The front sight fell off after 200 rounds.
Yup, just gotta have those "better" sights! LOL.
Seriously, the first gen LCP is such a perfect little pocket carry, point and shoot gun that it doesn't need any kind of "improvement". Especially the sights.
Old May 22, 2020, 09:08 PM   #19
wild cat mccane

From all reports I've seen, you're waiting for Ruger to completely replace your slide.

Their proprietary front sight mount might be the kill off of the Custom from the line up and only to return under Ruger # 3755 as a Davidson exclusive model that is pretty much gone.
Old May 23, 2020, 09:39 AM   #20
Carmady

I'm happy with my Gen2 LCP. It has a polished feed ramp, white fingernail polish on the sights, and a MagGuts kit that makes it 7+1 (flat floorplate). Everything else is OEM.

I tried a stronger set (12 lb?) of recoil springs, but went back to stock.
Old May 23, 2020, 06:58 PM   #21
tallball

I've had a P3AT, an LCP, a Pico, and an LCPII.

The LCPII has the best trigger and the second-best sights (after the Pico), so it's the one I carry.
Old May 23, 2020, 07:38 PM   #22
Carmady

I had a Pico, and the front sight came off just before round #70. I had a tarp on the ground to catch the brass, and the sight land on that instead of hiding in the grass.

I liked the Pico a lot, but couldn't handle the short trigger reach. Felt like shooting a Zippo.
Old May 24, 2020, 07:17 AM   #23
lunger

Wow 22 replies about a LCP and no one has said "they just copied Keltec"

Nice for a change.
Old May 24, 2020, 09:31 AM   #24
wild cat mccane

No. They totally did.

No question there. All the way down to the Kel Tec first removable FCU.

Not relevant though...
Old May 24, 2020, 11:00 AM   #25
Ruger45LC

I like the size of the LCP, but that's about it. I have a Glock 42 and it's the best shooting 380 I've ever had, it's so easy to shoot and small. Not LCP small but definitely pocket friendly with better contols, trigger and sights, just put on some Ameriglo Bold night sights. Great gun. Not knocking the LCP though, I've had the LCP, LCP Custom, LCP II and Kahr CW380 but the G42 is where it's at.

I guess to define it better, the LCP sized guns are good for their size but not so much for shooting while the G42 is actually shootable, worlds less recoil than an LCP, it shoots like a much bigger gun but, but it's small. Thinking about a light/laser combo for it too.

Last edited by Ruger45LC; May 24, 2020 at 11:11 AM.