The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1
pfcperry18

Painting Shotgun

Hi guys. I want to repaint my H&R Pump shotgun. It has a black finish on it, but it's flaking and scratching off everywhere. I'd like to do an Arctic Camo paint job on it. I was told for the stock and forearm (synthetic) to sand it some, primer, paint then clear them. If I do that, I also want to paint the barrel and receiver to match.

Someone said for the barrel, use high heat paint (i.e, header paint). Would I do the barrel and receiver parts the same way as the stock or a different process? It's not going to be a great paint job. It will most likely start to come off after a year or so. That can just be touched up real quick, though.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:20 PM   #2
zippy13

Typically, I'd recommend the finishes available from Brownells, but your arctic color scheme may be hard with their colors.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3
pfcperry18

Yea, I'm considering getting some high heat spray paint for the barrel, Krylon Fusion for the stock and forearm and regular metal spray paint for the receiver and mag tube. And primer & clear coat
Old January 11, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Mrgunsngear

I've used aluma hyde from brownells (the non bake kind) on a lot of gun parts and it works well as long as you let it cure long enough. ---learned that lesson the hard way...
Old January 11, 2012, 08:37 PM   #5
cheyenne'sfinest

i have done the exact same thing about a month ago, H&R pardner pump, artic pine camo... literally everything you're looking into... buff your surface with 00 steel wool, stuff your insides with cotton balls, tape off anything remaining black, go to your nearest pine tree, find a pattern you dig, brake off a branch and then, now bear with me, go to wal mart and get brake cleaner, and whatever colors you want in an outdoor heat resistant rust stopper spray paint. hit all surfaces except plastic with brake cleaner(cleans off every last bit or oil so that dried up paint can soak in fresh coat) and paint your gun. allow it to dry on a furnace vent for a day or two so the paint doesnt get gummy. this is the easiest/cheapest way to do this and regardless of inexperienced belief, the best also.. avoid expensive paint, it doesn't adhere to the parkerized metal right, it beads up like water on a new coat.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Edward429451

FYI Walmart sells milspec camo paint. That's what I used on my SG when I camo'd it. I cut weird patterns out of a manila folder to spray over and it was great. A few leaves off the tree were another good pattern. Ti give the subdued look spray in short bursts from 2 ft away from the stock with black. This helped calm the whole thing down and turned out very nice.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:39 PM   #7
cheyenne'sfinest

here's a pic of my finished product... you can't argue with it looking great and not scratching off. the only issue is hoppe's no.9 will strip it right off, but no biggie just don't slop your bore cleaner all over when cleaning it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H&R.jpg (233.8 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by cheyenne'sfinest; January 11, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:40 PM   #8
cheyenne'sfinest

my pic won't post :O
Old January 11, 2012, 08:45 PM   #9
OEF-Vet

Duracoat is an option

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.c...ategory_id=832

This is a kit but you can buy any colors you want. This stuff is a 2 part paint made specifically for guns and can handle the heat of normal shooting. they also have a high heat product though the colors are limited. I am in the middle of doing my first project with it now and it is awesome.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr