The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2013, 04:03 AM   #1
Elerius

Chamber support on these autos

Since 95% of the ammo I shoot are reloads, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of particularly bad chamber support for the autos on my buy list. Or any other concerns with these models having to do with firing reloaded ammo. If there are I can take them off my list since they won't be much use if I cant fire them. I've omitted guns I know about already and all 45's, as I understand they don't generate enough pressure to be a concern.

.380-

Walther ppk/s
Beretta cheetah

9mm-

Sig p228
Ruger sr9
HK p7m8
Walter ppq

.40-

CZ p-07 duty
S&W M&P40L Pro
S&W 4006 Shorty forty
HK p2000sk
Sig p226
Beretta px4 storm
Beretta Steel-1 (or model 96 Brigadier until I can find one)

Anyone with knowledge of problems reloading for these guns would be appreciated
Old November 7, 2013, 11:54 PM   #2

The .380 is somewhat similar to what you described about .45 ACP. Low enough operating pressure that chamber support issues are not much of a problem. Although it's a higher pressure cartridge, very few problems occur with 9 x 19mm pistols because of its tapered case so pistol makers do not make overly generous chambers as has been the case with some .40 S&W pistols. You have a .355" bullet feeding into a chamber opening sized for its larger .391" case-head spec. It's one of the reasons why 9mm pistols rarely have feed issues.

From your list of .40 S&W pistols, the only one I can't speak directly to is the Beretta Storm simply because I have no experience with it, but I've never heard of any chamber support issues with the PX4. Any of the others are good choices.

There's one more you might want to consider and that's .357 SIG because it's a bottlenecked cartridge where you have a .355" bullet entering a much larger charge-hole for its .40 S&W parent case and its .424" case-head diameter.
Old November 8, 2013, 06:34 AM   #3
1911Tuner

Support

It's hard to judge head support on appearances. Dynamic headspace is part of the equation.

The barrel chamber can appear to provide good support, but if the headspace is a little long, the case will back up in the chamber and become unsupported when the gun fires.

And vice-versa. If the support looks a little sketchy, but the headspace is minimal...it'll probably be fine.

Short of gauging the chamber and measuring headspace, the only way to tell is to shoot the gun and inspect the brass. If it bulges on one side...even a little...the head support is questionable.
Old November 8, 2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Jay24bal

I do not have experience reloading for any of the guns you list except for the 226, which mine is fine.

What I did, and has helped, is picked up the Lee Bulge Buster kit. For $30ish, you can fix any bulges you may come across. I do not own a gun that produces bulges, but I do reload a lot of range pick up brass.

When sorting cases after the range, I just set aside the ones that have the bulge. When i get to 50ish or so of a certain caliber, I hook up the bulge buster kit and run the cases through.

Just know, you will need the Lee Factory Crimp Die for each caliber in order to use the bulge buster.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 9, 2013, 02:49 AM   #5
Elerius

I do already use Lee factory crimp dies on my sets, so I won't have to worry about that. I have heard of the Bulge Buster before but not really learned about it. If that is the case I guess I'll buy the guns eventually and get the bulge buster if any of them have problems of that kind. Thanks