The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 14, 2014, 09:16 AM   #1
kilotanker22

Leupold rifleman???

Hello,

Today I found a leupold rifleman 3-9x50 was marked Down to $240 so I bought it. Figured I have never owned a leupold but their name is often related to good quality optics so why not!

Any way anything I should expect from the rifleman? Quirks pros cons?
I normally use Nikon prostrate and bushnell elite 3200 scopes. I even really like the bushnell trophy xlt scopes.

O and it's going on my browning xbolt that has the browning one piece bases and rings wondering if the 50 mm objective will fit
Old March 14, 2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Doyle

WAY too much. A Rifleman is really a $100 scope with an extra $100 for that Leupold warranty. They are charging a premium on that one due to the 50mm objective but it still isn't worth it. Personally, I wish Leupold would drop the Rifleman line because it just isn't up to normal Leupold quality.

You can get a VX-1 3-9x40 and have a much better scope for $230 or get a VX2 -3-9x40 for $299 and have a MUCH better scope. Both of those will transmit more usable light with a 40mm objective than you'll get from that 50mm Rifleman.
Old March 14, 2014, 11:40 AM   #3
kilotanker22

I see

So maybe return it and trade for a Nikon pro staff 4-12x40? Or trophy xlt with the Doa reticle? The nikons and bushnells have always treated me pretty good
Old March 14, 2014, 12:00 PM   #4
kilotanker22

Supposedly and according to leupolds website all scopes since the introduction of the vx lines are equal or better optical quality as the discontinued varix2 that built leupds reputation in the first place.
Old March 14, 2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Doyle

I don't know about the Prostaff but no Bushnel Trophy is going to be as good as even the lowly Rifleman. The only Bushnel line I've ever found to be decent is their Elite series (I've got a couple now).
Old March 14, 2014, 03:31 PM   #6
kilotanker22

Yeah I currently have a trophy. Xlt on it now it holds zero and is pretty clear.
Old March 14, 2014, 03:39 PM   #7
kilotanker22

Also I shoot repeatable good groups with the scope but wanted to try a leupold. My only question is will the 50 mm objective fit the current base and ring set I have?
Old March 14, 2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
My only question is will the 50 mm objective fit the current base and ring set I have?
Depends on how tall they are. Mounts require at least a medium ring when using a 50mm objective - some require a tall or extra tall ring set.
Old March 14, 2014, 05:31 PM   #9
SSA

As far as I know, the Leupold Rifleman and the Redfield Revolution are the only new scopes that sell for over $100 (for a 3-9) and aren't fully multicoated.
Quote:
will the 50 mm objective fit the current base and ring set I have?
What size scope do you have on the rifle now, and how much clearance do you have between the scope and the barrel?
Old March 14, 2014, 05:37 PM   #10
Hawg

I have a Rifleman 3-9 X 40. I really like it but I do wish I had gone with a bigger objective. Some people don't like the friction adjustments but I do.
From Leupolds website.

Every scope Leupold produces, including the Rifleman, is fully coated (all lenses, internal and external, are coated) and utilizes glass, coatings, and optical systems of equal or better quality than the discontinued Vari-X II’s of the past. Decreased cost associated with the Rifleman line is due to increased efficiency in our production process, not from reduced quality.
Old March 14, 2014, 07:56 PM   #11
Old Stony

I purchased two of the Rifleman 3x9's some time back...and put them on stainless Ruger 77's. One is a 7mm08 and the other a .350 Rem mag. They are the smaller objective, but have performed admirably. I have to admit they get beat pretty good as I carry a rifle in and out of a pickup every day and they spend a lot of time bouncing against the passenger seat.
No more Nikon's for me as the last one I bought was a nightmare problem...with the warranty.
Old March 14, 2014, 11:10 PM   #12
kilotanker22

well i did not realize that it was friction adjustment knobs until i messed with it tonight. i hate that, it may be effective but not for me.

i returned it and got the nikon prostaff 4-12x40. i have owned several of these and have always treated me well. plus i really like nikon's zero reset turrets.

the trophy xlt i have on the browning 300 wsm now seems to be a good pair. it shoots sub 1 inch groups at 200 yards and is very clear also backed by the bulletproof garantee. it just goes to show that you dont have to have a Zeiss or a vxiii to do well. hell on my savage axis with the 30 dollar bushnell that came with it i am shooting .75 inch groups at 200 yards.

however i need to decide which rifle to put the nikon on.

OLD STONY

what problems did you have with nikon's waranty?
Old March 15, 2014, 05:16 AM   #13
Old Stony

Kilotanker...The story about my last dealings with Nikon cover about 6 months, and it would take too long to detail it all here. Basically I had a Prostaff that would not hold zero and returned it following the instructions in the original box. After months of not hearing from them I called and they had lost it. They asked for things like the serial number off of the scope...not anything I would have a record of. They admitted that one of their facilities in L.A. had closed and it might have gone there, but long story short, I was just left in the cold with no scope and no sympathy from their end.
I went back to buying Leupolds, they are nice people to deal with.....
Old March 15, 2014, 01:31 PM   #14
BigG

Typically speaking the scope ought to cost dang near as much as a typical first class commercial bolt action rifle ($500 +) if it's worth owning. Leupold Vari X 3 and above are what I consider.

Don't waste your money on cheaper scopes.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old March 16, 2014, 10:32 AM   #15
Toolman

"Don't waste your money on cheaper scopes". Well said, BigG. Been there, done that too.

I have VX II's & VX III's. I believe in buying once & having it for life. My brother on the other hand, criticizes me for spending $350 to $700 for good scopes. He buys the $39.95 scopes and swears the $39.95 scopes are just as good as the expensive ones. Time will tell. Would you want to go on a hunting trip and depend on a $39.95 scope???

When people ask me where they can get a "good, cheap scope", I tell them that I don't know, it just can't be done. "good & cheap" don't belong in the same sentence.
Old March 16, 2014, 08:54 PM   #16
kilotanker22

cheap scopes

i will say that i have seen friends of mine with alot of issues with scopes and always figured it was them. but wouldnt you know just yesterday after talking up my bushnell the damn thing broke. the turrett stripped out and wont tighten or adjust
Old March 17, 2014, 09:07 PM   #17
jmr40

The Rifleman isn't a bad scope. But I think you overpaid. A new VX-1 is a far superior scope and a 3-9X40 sells for under $200. The 50mm glass is a waste of money that just makes the scope harder to mount and use.

The Prostaff is a small step up over the rifleman, but not near the scope a VX-1 or VX-2 would be.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-1-...pe-P51827.aspx

At one time the Rifleman and VX-1's were essentially the same scope, but in 2012 Leupold upgraded all the VX-1's, 2's and 3's. The $199 VX-1's are essentially the same scope as a $300 VX-2 sold in 2011.
Old March 17, 2014, 09:35 PM   #18
Doyle

Quote:
i will say that i have seen friends of mine with alot of issues with scopes and always figured it was them. but wouldnt you know just yesterday after talking up my bushnell the damn thing broke. the turrett stripped out and wont tighten or adjust
I could have told you that was going to happen eventually. The Trophy is no match for the recoil of a .300WSM.
Old March 19, 2014, 08:27 PM   #19
Toolman

I had a Bushnell that was mounted on a .30 cal rifle & had to send it back to the factory three times because the crosshairs separated in less than 30 shots each time. It was very embarrassing at the range. I sent it back the third time and told them I didn't want THAT scope back, I don't care what you do with it, just don't send it back to me. They sent me a new Dusk to Dawn & it has worked well. I've got other Bushnell scopes that I've had for 30 years & no problem, they're still good. You can get a lemon with any brand scope. Just depends on how their service after the sale is. I have a .308 bolt action Savage & I put a (don't laugh, try it yourself) $400.00 Leupold AO air rifle scope on it and it has worked flawlessly.
Old March 19, 2014, 08:41 PM   #20
Doyle

Quote:
I put a (don't laugh, try it yourself) $400.00 Leupold AO air rifle scope on it and it has worked flawlessly.
Believe it or not, air rifle scopes have to be pretty tough. Air rifles recoil in a nasty, forward way that will destroy a poorly designed scope.
Old March 21, 2014, 09:17 AM   #21
aarondhgraham

Bushnell Banner versus Leupold Rifleman,,,

I have an H&R Sportsman in .22 LR,,,
I mounted a Bushnell Banner scope on it and have been very happy.

Later I purchased an H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 Magnum,,,
The same store had a used Leupold Rifleman for $150.00 so I bought it.

I had always been happy with the Bushnell Banner,,,
But there is no comparison between it and the Leupold Rifleman,,,
The absolute clarity of the Rifleman's image took me completely by surprise.

It may be the low end of the Leupold line,,,
But it's a vastly superior scope over my Bushnell Banner.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 21, 2014, 10:49 AM   #22
rebs

I bought a used rifleman scope for $65.00 and it is a decent scope. I have it mounted on a 223.
Old March 21, 2014, 08:06 PM   #23
Toolman

Doyle, I'm told the erector springs in an air rifle scope are heavier due to crosshair turbulation (forward & backward movement).
Old March 22, 2014, 08:14 PM   #24
Doyle

Toolman, you could be right - I don't know what pieces are beefed up. I just know that too many people make the expensive mistake of thinking that a cheap rimfire scope will work. They generally learn their mistake fairly soon.
Old March 24, 2014, 10:04 PM   #25
kilotanker22

i replaced the bushnell trophy xlt with a limited edition bushnell elite. i bought the elite for 199