The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 13, 2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Mikeyboy

Weird range day 2 vs 1 handed shooting

Saturday, I went to the range to shoot my Taurus PT-92 and my 2 S&W .38 snubbie revolvers. I was kind of jumpy, probably because I drank some coffee and I just started taking some allegery medication so both were not mixing well. Anyway I shot Weaver stance at 7 and 10 yards. I was getting decent grouping in the 9 and 8 ring with a few flyers in the outer rings (better with the semi auto) but nothing was going in the 10 ring. It was just weird, not even one good or lucky shot in the 10, nothing was going in. I was about ready to wrap up so my last drill is to shoot one handed. I put up a fresh target and shot a 7 yards with my PT-92, 8 rounds right handed and 7 rounds left handed, and I shot better one handed then I shot two handed all day (a nice grouping in the 9 and 10 rings). Usually one handed I am on the paper but all over the place, especially left handed. Fresh target again, then I got my S&W 60 snubbie and I took a 5 yard shot left handed. Bang...10 ring dead center in the X. I almost dropped the gun laughing. My friend in the other lane, who was reloading leaned over to say nice shot and was shocked when he noticed I was shooting one handed on my weak side. I empty the gun and all in the 10 ring. I just don't get it. I'm going to try to shoot more one handed to see if I'm just a better one handed shooter. Could also be that once I shot 150+ rounds 2 handed I'm in the groove by the time I switched to 1 handed. I'll try starting off shooting one handed to see what happens. Does anyone else out there shoot one handed better than weaver style.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:19 AM   #2
threegun

Mikeyboy, Don't look a gift horse LOL. Just try a couple more time to see if it wasn't a fluke and then work on that 2 hand hold. I am proficient in one hand shooting both strong and weak handed but prefer using two. I shoot better with two hands.
Old March 13, 2006, 02:01 PM   #3
tjhands

Good shooting!

I've tried one-handing it more lately and am not terrible, but I'm always better using both hands. I haven't done much left hand shooting......that'd be scary! I really should, though, I know.
Old March 13, 2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Mikeyboy

I think your right, My weaver stance may be getting "sloppy". I rather shoot two handed too, Most of my handguns are too heavy and I'm getting too old and out of shape to hold one handed all day at the range.
Old March 15, 2006, 10:19 PM   #5
atlctyslkr

My wife shoots with her eyes closed and always manages to hit the target.
Old March 18, 2006, 01:17 AM   #6
Jeff22

I see that all the time.

When you shoot with only one hand it usually forces you to focus on the basic skills, and sometimes your performance will go up.

The same thing often happens when you shoot with a weapon you are unfamiliar with. You know that you aren't familiar with that gun, and so you slow down and pay more attention to what you are doing.

I have found that my performance is best when I regularly introduce other guns into the practice rotation. I practice most with my duty gun & primary off duty gun, but this winter I decided I needed to work on trigger control in one-hand only shooting, so I did a bunch of shooting at 50 feet with my S&W 18 .22 combat masterpiece revolver. It was good practice, and I need to continue it.
Old March 18, 2006, 09:36 PM   #7
speedy8084

One handed?...

I can't do that, I have a Ruger 44MaG!!