The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 15, 2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Nomo4me

Snapped a decap pin on Lee neck collet die

Die was in a Co-ax press. 204 Ruger.
I wasn't really paying attention. I guess all the "float" touted in that press means one has to be a bit careful as the pin is about to enter the flash hole.

Looks like I've got to order a replacement direct from Lee. $4 each. Is it common to break these, especially when used with the Co-ax? If so I'll order a few of them.

Thx
Old October 15, 2009, 10:19 AM   #2
chris in va

Call Lee, they may just send you a new one. I had an issue with the powder through die sticking, and they replaced the sleeve inside.
Old October 15, 2009, 10:38 AM   #3
NavyLT

They'll replace it for free, probably just a phone call. The little nut on top of the die that holds the decapping pin is too tight, loosen that up a little bit.
Old October 15, 2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Sevens

There's no nut on the collet neck-only size die.

Lee will repair or replace any die within two years of purchase, so they state. I broke a decap pin on a standard size die once and they never asked me when I bought it, they simply mailed me a pin.

E-mail or call them, you'll have it in less than a week.
Old October 15, 2009, 01:29 PM   #5
wncchester

"Snapped a decap pin on Lee neck collet die"

I've deliberately removed the decap pin from my collet sizers, use a universal decapper instead. That way I can toy with neck sizing even if the case is primed.
Old October 15, 2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Twinsig

get 2

better get 2 of em, for the next time ya know.
Old October 15, 2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Nomo4me

They sent one free of charge.

Thanks for the replies.
Old October 15, 2009, 04:42 PM   #8
amamnn

Sometimes metal parts just fail--I broke a decap pin on a Lee Collet
I was using for the .30-06 and also on a Forster 6BR FL die. Neither of the cases were out of shape, the decap pins were centered in the primer, and new pins installed immediately worked fine.
Old October 15, 2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Nomo4me

Eh, I was just screwing around in preparation to load my first rounds in 20 years. The resistance was too much and I suspected such an instant before the pin went 'snap'
I'll have to pay attn to how I locate the dies in the Co-ax.
Old October 15, 2009, 05:19 PM   #10
NWPilgrim

I also use a Universal decapper die. I got fed up bending RCBS decapping pins and just took them all out. Now I use a Lee universal decapping die that has a very sturdy pin and collet arrangement. This is real brute and punches through stuff that other dies struggle with.

Never had an issue with decapping pins until this year when I went through several batches of old cases of mixed headstamps. Some were heavily crimped primers, and a few Berdans snuck in there as well. And since I was running so many more cases through than normal I did have a couple hit the case head off center and miss the primer hole.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison