The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2009, 05:54 AM   #1
OGHITMAN187

What's good

I'm looking to purchase a reloader, I wanna know which model/brand would be ideal for a beginner. I've never reloaded a bullet, I shoot about 200+ rounds every trip to the range. Calibers 270 win, 7mm stw, 308 and 270 weatherby. Which reloader would best suite a beginner in reloading these cartridges?
Old October 14, 2009, 06:46 AM   #2
rwilson452

You didn't how often you go to the range. But my first thought would be for a turret press. I'm partial to the Lee Classic Turret.
Old October 14, 2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Don P

Quote:
I'm partial to the Lee Classic Turret.
I'll second this statement. Lee's products will be the easiest on the wallet to get started and don't be fooled by prices. There equipment is as good as anyone else's and will get the job done.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 14, 2009, 07:20 AM   #4
wncchester

I would prefer a single stage to a turret for rifle loads. The Lee Classic Cast will handle the long cartridges (7 STW) easily and has excellant user features at the right price. It's big, well made, very strong and will last two forevers,
Old October 14, 2009, 07:41 AM   #5
OGHITMAN187

Thank you very much for the advice. I only go to the range once a month, so I dont need many rounds. The Lee press sounds perfect for what I need
Old October 14, 2009, 07:50 AM   #6
QBall45

For a beginner my recommendation is a single stage press. This gives you complete control of all steps.

Brand? Its your money & they are all built well. Best value I believe is Lee's Breech Lock Challenger. If ya look you can get the press only for around $50. The starter kit is about $100.
Old October 14, 2009, 09:42 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

There are two convenience features that tend to separate single stage presses.

First is spent primer handling. Lee Classic Cast (iron), Redding Big Boss II, Redding UltraMag, and Forster Co-Ax all direct spent primers and debris down through the ram into a tube to a catch bottle or bucket. For some reason, RCBS, Lyman and Hornady single stage presses still do not have this feature, and each of them directs more than the occasional spent primer bouncing to the floor.

Second is a mechanism for accurately, quickly and easily changing dies. The Lee and Redding presses mentioned above are compatible with Hornady's Lock-N-Load press conversion kit. This lets you use Hornady LNL bushing on the dies that allow insertion and removal with a quick 1/8th turn, instead of screwing the die all the way in and out. The Forster Co-Ax has its own floating, snap-in/out die retention systems, but you need to use either Hornady or Forster lock rings on your dies.

The LCC is definitely the best bang for the buck of this group, with the co-ax is at the other end of the cost spectrum, with commensurate quality and features. The Redding BBII is in between these two in price, but similar to the LCC in design. The UltraMag is a little more $$ than the Co-Ax in price, with capacity for longer than standard-magnum-length cartridges, but lacks some of the accuracy and convenience features of the co-ax.

Andy