The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Crapulence

Tired of fighting the urge to reload

For about a year now I have been wanting to start reloading. Initially I want to load for 357.sig and .45 ACP. I am looking for advise on what road to take as far as single stage or turret/progressive. My initial feeling is that a single stage setup would be the best bet but think a multistage setup would be nice in the long run. I am not specifically looking for a "Brand X is better than Brand Y" answer, from my time lurking here I think this can turn into a P!ssing match. The main questions I have are;

- Do they make single stage presses than can be adapted to a turret or can you effectively run a turret as a single stage while learning the ropes?
- Do the dies in a single stage press index via a holder or will I need to reset everything at every change?
- Can a turret press be changed for different cartridges via some kind of indexed system?
- Is it worth looking at used presses or do they not really drop much in value?
- What is a good resource (other than here of course) for beginning reloading? I prefer something that doesn't try to dumb things down. Aside from my wife most people don't claim I'm an idiot.
- Am I being a dumbass for considering reloading a necked pistol cartridge?

Thanks all for the help.
Old October 12, 2009, 06:29 PM   #2
azredhawk44

Quote:
- Do they make single stage presses than can be adapted to a turret or can you effectively run a turret as a single stage while learning the ropes?

Some turrets can have the die indexer turned off and run effectively as a single stage press.

- Do the dies in a single stage press index via a holder or will I need to reset everything at every change?

No, that would be a turret press. A single stage press only holds one die at a time.

- Can a turret press be changed for different cartridges via some kind of indexed system?

Yes. The die plate on top can be switched out and if you have multiple die plates you can leave your dies configured in the plate and switch the entire assembly rather than unscrewing and losing your die adjustments. Obviously an extra cost.

On a whim I picked up a Lyman turret, used, on this forum, with a nice powder measure too. Much less than retail. Have yet to set it up, but I just bought a new house and I even have a complete workshop out back... so it will get set up next to the ever-present RockChucker.

- What is a good resource (other than here of course) for beginning reloading? I prefer something that doesn't try to dumb things down. Aside from my wife most people don't claim I'm an idiot.

Modern Reloading, Second Edition by Richard Lee.

IMO and IME, yes. But you're welcome to learn that on your own. I used to reload .400 corbon (the .357sig's big brother based on the .45acp case) and I hated it. In general I hate reloading any bottleneck case, though. .223, .308, x54R, .30-30. I much prefer straight wall cases. I find .45acp to probably be one of the most pleasant, simple and fast cartridges to reload out of any that I have done so far.
Hope this helps!
Old October 12, 2009, 06:38 PM   #3
vsgonzo

First press was a dillion 650. 1000+ .40 and .223 through all fired perfectly. Got a lee hand press and small single stage for the off cartridges.

I have so far had 2 squib loads in the off carttridges. Dunno what happened but IMO i feel safer with my dillion 650. Only down fall is feeding the darn thing. I make about 600 rnds an hour taking my time to ensure all is good.

Anywhoo good luck. Just remember to take your time. In one year of loading i have made a few thousands rounds. Put a big endless hole i. Wallet cuz its addicting. I load for 5 calibers and i try to fi d a reason to reload others. I want to start .357 sig next.

Well good luck
Old October 12, 2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Dragon55

If you're still not ready.....

to fully commit.... maybe consider a Lee single stage to start. You can get your feet wet on the necked down pistol (.357 Sig????).
Then you will always have the single for sizing and depriming later if/when you graduate to turret.
Old October 12, 2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Farmland

Do they make single stage presses than can be adapted to a turret or can you effectively run a turret as a single stage while learning the ropes?

They may but not that I am aware of at this point in time. Though you can use any turret press as a single stage press.

A Single Stage press will not index. Some SSP's do require you to reset the die each time others have a bushing that eliminates the need to change the die setting unless you change bullets then you may have to reset that die.

You can buy additional heads for the turret press thus you do not have to change dies at all.

You could save some money buying a used press.

Books, ABC's of reloading and many more just do a Google search. Second point I find that women have good judgment which means you may want to stick to factory ammunition.

Can tell you if it is any harder or has some other issues, I never had to reload any. If they are the same as necked rifle then you should be fine.

And to think I did that all without dropping one name like you asked.

Last edited by Farmland; October 12, 2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Sevens

Some thoughts...

You might be a bit "off" with your thinking of what a turret press is compared to a single stage. The only real tangible difference between the two is that the turret press holds multiple dies and the single stage holds only one. The number it holds varies on what brand you buy.

Here's what is important: A progressive machine is a large step forward in production over both single stage and turret. These hold more dies but more importantly, these machines lift 4 or 5 cases in to dies at the same time, with one throw of the handle.

A turret press may hold more dies, but it's still doing only ONE thing with ONE case each time you throw the handle, just like a single stage.

Also, why azredhawk's post was good, there's one part I'll take issue with: You do NOT have to lose your die settings simply because it's a single stage and you unscrew the die.

Bottom line is that a turret press is merely a single stage without the hassle of screwing dies in and out. It's not progressive and it's not semi-progressive, it's still ONE single operation with each lever throw.

As for choosing .45 and .357 Sig to start, I say "yeah!" to .45 and *gulp* to .357 Sig. It's not the fact that you have a different route to prep the brass in .357 Sig, it's the PITA of finding the bullets that have a proper cannelure and finding neck tension to keep them seated to the proper depth that will give you grief.

Used equipment? I say absolutely. Problem is, most decent equipment doesn't degrade and most folks don't sell it, so on the rare chance you find some good used equipment, there'll usually be a whole gaggle of goofs bidding it up so much that it's hardly cheaper than new. But if you find a good deal, GRAB IT.

Other resources? There's a zillion, but the best resource is using this forum in two ways: Post concise, clear questions (like you already have!) to get great answers from good people, and make good use of the very strong search engine on this site. Most questions have been asked already, so by running searches, you can see what THAT group answered, as the group is constantly changing.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:08 PM   #7
BigJimP

You've got technical answers to all the questions you asked ..

Are you crazy, no / many of us, me included, reload because we like it. It becomes part of the hobby long term / we like shooting our own custom loads / and I like passing on the knowledge to the boys and the grandkids.

Personally, I've been thru the single stage, turret presses - nothing wrong with them - but they're really slow when it comes to high volume handgun calibers. I was at my local range for 3 hours or so on Sunday afternoon - and I went thru 200 rounds of 9mm, 50 rounds of .357 mag and 50 rounds of .45 acp / and on a progressive press ( you only load 1 caliber at a time, but a press like a Dillon 650 will easily put out 1,000 rounds an hour ).

All the big name companies make good equipment - Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, etc - but for me, a deal breaker on a new press, is a press that will accomodate a "powder check" die - to help ensure there are no double charges of powder / and no "no drops" making a squib round. You can still screw up on a press with a "powder check" die - but its a real good system / another safety check.

Not all presses will take a "powder check" die - so in Dillon's lineup, as an example, the SDB and 550 will not take it, but the 650 will. Hornady and RCBS have presses that will - and some that won't - same issue.

Start slow / read up on it. Loading a .357 sig and .45 acp are very easy ( personally I load 9mm, .40S&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag in handguns - and they're all easy / .357 sig is no big deal although its not a caliber I'm interested in owning - a lot of my buddies shoot and reload .357 Sig with no issues.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Crapulence

Thanks all for the fast responses. I guess my ignorance in terminology make have muddled things a bit. When I referred to indexing on a single stage I was hoping that I would not need to reset the die heights between changes. It seems that Farmland gave me the proper terminology, bushing it is .

I did wonder about starting off with a single stage and then later using that for either a less frequently used action or as a way to ass a stage to a turret system. That way I could make room for the monogramming station. My concern was that the dies for the single stage unit would not be usable one a turret system. Forgive my ignorance but are the dies interchangeable amongst brands or would I have to stick with the same maker to be able to use what I have for the single stage unit? I wasn't trying to be an ass when I wanted to avoid the brand name battles. In retrospect I welcome any information on what a good starting kit would be, I just don't care what brand since the quality of any of the big names players is more than adaquate for my needs. Thanks again for your help and patience.

Edit: Yes I was confused on the Turret-Progressive aspect. I am wiser now although it leaves me asking if there are progressives that can be run as a single stage.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:26 PM   #9
GeauxTide

I gave my 40 year old Lyman Spar-T away last year and bought a Lee Classic Turret. Also gave away my 40 year old Uniflow and bought a Lyman 1200DPS3 Powder Measure. Mahvelous!
Old October 12, 2009, 07:28 PM   #10
Jector

After thinking about it for ~ 20 years, I started reloading ~3 week ago, started with a progressive... and glad I did. How much of an issue is cost to you? (rhetorical) And do you want to relax and kill a lot of time reloading (single stage), like building a ship in a bottle, or have things move right along, like building bird houses with a table saw & a nail gun (progressive). All are hobbies with different approaches.

Last edited by Jector; October 12, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:29 PM   #11
Farmland

Questions are cool.

For the most part all modern dies are interchangeable among the major manufactures and presses. If your in doubt just check the size of the die. Really unless you buy an older press from the 1950's you will not have tow worry about this. off the top of my head I can not remember the current common size but I am sure another person will.

Now there are a couple of things you should know, Dillon dies for their Square Deal Press will not fit other types of presses including their other progressive presses. @ I'm sorry had to use brand names for this one.

Another thing to note is that Dillon dies do not come with a case expander. The case expander for handguns is built into their powder die system. Thus you would need to buy a case expander from another mfg.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:33 PM   #12
Farmland

Progressive press used as a single stage press. Yes you can just place one die in the tool head. Actually I do this when reloading 223. I will just use my resizng die and size all of my 223 brass. Thus I am doing just one process the same as you would with a single stage press, though because I can feed the cases in a large feeder tube t goes faster.

I then do all of my case prep such as trimming etc.

Then I just put on the powder measure and the bullet seater for the last steps.
Old October 12, 2009, 08:00 PM   #13
Crapulence

In response to Jector, I can't say that cost is not an issue but it is not the driving force. I try an live a simple life so I can afford nicer toys. I don't think that the cost of a progressive press is a deal killer as long as the wife and child don't balk at ramen noodles for sustenance. The nail gun and tablesaw analogy hits very close to home for this remodeler
Old October 12, 2009, 08:16 PM   #14
alloy

I geared up inexpensively off ebay with a couple of used single stages, used scale, trimmer, hornady powder measure etc. Digital calipers/micrometers I already had...so a few new carbide pistol dies and some small bits and then off to the races. Whatever you start with can be used for smaller batches or depriming etc..after expanding or stepping up to a progressive press, and I think the components for the calibers I began with cost me more than the equipment(def harder to find) so you might want to start rounding them up for at least one caliber.

Here, THR, you tube, and the forwards of the hornady and sierra manual were all invaluable. Great hobby for my spare time, and it seems extremely economical. Good luck.
Old October 12, 2009, 08:25 PM   #15
Christchild

About the dies fitting in presses from press brand to press brand...

There are some presses that have Bushings that enable You to "Quick Change" and keep Your Die Adjustments that way, but most of the dies You'll come across are 7/8" x 14. 7/8" diameter by 14 thread count. Die and Press Manufacturers will specify this.

I use a turret press. It's a Single Stage (as turret presses are) that allows me to keep as many as 6 dies mounted/installed. I don't shoot a whole lot, so a single stage is great for me. I'm a Lunatic for Precision, doing every stage/operation by hand, one at a time, but I work in batches, which is always the best, safest way. Size a batch of brass (I clean brass AFTER sizing), prime a batch of brass, powder charge a batch, then seat bullets by the batch.

I'd recommend getting a Progressive if You're going to do a bit of High Volume Loading/Shooting, tho. If You can swing the extra $, I'd say get the Single Stage of Your choice, get Your feet wet. Learn with a Single Stage. Although some here on the Forum have likely started on a Progressive, I'd suggest learning with a Single, then once You get it down pat and want to get a Progressive, do it then.

Just my $0.02
Old October 12, 2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You may want to "cut your teeth" with the 45acp and go to the sig after getting down the basics. I recently began my reloading adventure with 357sig and, while it can certainly be done, it is a STEEP learning curve. Reloading is a steep enough curve without complicating it right off the bat. IMHO YMMV.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:05 PM   #17
Crapulence

I will be concentrating on the 45 for a good amount of time. Other than the higher degree of difficulty, I can get sig ammo pretty cheap. 45 ammo seems to remain on the pricier side. Ironically I still have to get a 1911 but it's on my todo list. I like to make purchases for each of our current administrations milestones. My Sig 228 signified the horrible loss the "Dream Team" took when they failed to persuade the IOC to see the light. I am currently looking for a 1911 that will join my collection as the "Nobel Peace Prize Piece".

I would like to thank everyone for their invaluable responses, although I have not addressed each one they have all been very useful and please keep the comments coming, the more I learn the less ignorant I shall become.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Jector

Quote:
as long as the wife and child don't balk at ramen noodles for sustenance.
LOL, I have a brand new RCBS digital scale, delivered today... And I buy Ramen Noodles by the case at Sam's Club. LOL.
We've got to keep our priorities straight.

Last edited by Jector; October 12, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:54 PM   #19
CraigC

Sevens assessment of the turret press is spot-on and a turret is a good learning tool.

I would strongly advise against learning to reload on a progressive. There is A LOT going on at one time, A LOT of opportunity for mistakes and you REALLY need to know what you're doing before using one.
Old October 12, 2009, 11:28 PM   #20
Tex S

Quote:
Do they make single stage presses than can be adapted to a turret or can you effectively run a turret as a single stage while learning the ropes?
The Lee Classic Turret Press can work single stage or as an auto indexing turret press.
Old October 13, 2009, 02:30 AM   #21
sc928porsche

I started reloading on a single stage press. After learning all the basics and accumulating some experience, I went to the progressive press. I bypassed the turret press altogether. Depending on how much you reload will have a large bearing on what style of press to use. You can start out on the turret press and use it as a single stage to begin with. As for bottleneck pistol cartridges, they really arnt any more difficult to reload that bottleneck rifle cartridges. The 2 bottleneck pistol cartridges that I reload are the tokerev (7.62x25) and the Bain & Davis (357/44mag). Once the brass has been formed on the single stage, I use the progressive for them.

I hope that you enjoy reloading as much as I and so many others do.