The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1
gdeal

Buying components online

Not all online shops are created equally. I ordered .40 S&W bullets and small primers from Cabelas in August. First they said back ordered until Sep. then Oct. Now Dec. I know of at least 4 other online places. Would I have the same problem with them? Should I just wait until Dec to reload? Or would I have better luck with some of the other online places? I got the brass and powder ok.
Old October 12, 2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Tex S

What specific kind of bullet are you looking for? Someone here might be able to steer you in a better direction.

I personally would not wait until Nov or Dec for bullets.

Primers could get a little tricky though.
Old October 12, 2009, 01:22 AM   #3
NWPilgrim

Some places will not accept backorders, or limit backorders to what they can reasonably fulfill. Some guys are willing to get on a indeterminate list, such as Midways'.

If you for sure delivery then only order from places with them in stock. Try Wideners, Natchez, Grafs, Powder Valley, etc.

Lead or jackets bullets? Dardas has lead bullets and good delivery.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 12, 2009, 07:01 AM   #4
hornady

Hopefully this shortage garbage is coming to an end. I have a back order with Mid-South. Coming up on 6 Months. However. I went to a Gun show, this past weekend. They had Primers and powder. At surprisingly reasonable prices. Powder about $21.00 a can. And they had CCI primers for $26.00 a thousand. So maybe the end is near.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Farmland

How was the Monroeville show? I was too busy to make it the darn corn needed cut.
Old October 12, 2009, 10:38 AM   #6
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmland
How was the Monroeville show? I was too busy to make it the darn corn needed cut.
There was plenty of powders and primers available–for reasonable prices too.

Overall it was a good show, nice selection.
Old October 12, 2009, 11:03 AM   #7
snuffy

I feel sorry for people buying primers or powder from internet suppliers. You're going to have to wait in line to get served. I deal with two gunshops that I have known for years. I get "special" perks because of my patronage. If I didn't already have plenty of primers, I would be able to get enough to load what I NEED simply by asking. Both hold back a few for regular customers. Besides the prices are not scalper prices.

Same goes for bullets. If they're on the shelves, they're within a couple cents of what I would pay for them from midway or other internet sites. Only when something new is first out is when I go for internet sites.

My handgun bullets are satisfied by my own cast bullets. There it's me that fills the orders!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 12, 2009, 12:46 PM   #8
BigJimP

I use Montana Gold - for all my bullets ( and they have a good website for ordering in case lots ). They've been backed up - but I think they're filling orders in about 4 - 6 weeks now.

Primers are tougher - you really need to find a good local source / and buy in case lots.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:37 PM   #9
GeauxTide

Why I only buy components from Midway