The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2005, 01:55 PM   #1
pittbug

XL650 users, loose wingnut?

I find that the wing nut that holds the powder throw case check arm tends to come loose after a few hundred rounds. For now I've put on a fender washer and a couple of nuts to lock it in place. Anyone else have this same issue?

I only noticed when I went to seat a bullet and saw there was no powder inside the case. I had about 100 rounds finished in the bin that I had to weigh out to make sure there weren't any squib loads. Fortunately I found 3 light ones, so I pulled them and recycled them.. *phiew* This obviously brought my attention to the powder check, it seems it wasn't adjusted quite right so it was shy of maybe .1" before it would trigger the alarm's microswitch.

Now I visually check each case before I seat the bullet to make sure it has powder.
Old December 2, 2005, 02:09 PM   #2
caz223

Powder check systems can fail. There is no substitute for the ol' fashioned eyeball.
That's the reason I stand while I load, to keep an eye on the powder station.
Old December 2, 2005, 03:40 PM   #3
pittbug

Yup, I was on the lookout for a stool, but I think I'll continue to stand and just get one of those rubber floormats instead.
Old December 2, 2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Rivers

Some powder check systems DO work. Try the mechanical RCBS Lockout Die. It's just about perfect. Unless you have a really old 650, then I guess you're talking about the wing nut that tightens a spring, related to the powder measure. You're probably not tightening the wingnut enough.
Old December 4, 2005, 06:12 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

XL650 -- lotsa zeros.....

I took all that crap offamy now-11 toolheads; I run a powder-check at station #3; I use a spring on each measure; my powder-check(s) work.
Old December 6, 2005, 11:47 AM   #6
Philthy

Might want to get into the habit of doing QC checks every 20 or 25. Make sure the locknut on your powder check is tightened really well, but be careful. Sometimes after you remove it from the powder check body the adjustment moves on the threads. You may even want to re-install your poweder check system assemble from scratch. This is a fairly simple device that should not fail.

Another thing, I fail to see how the failsafe system (which is, I'm assuming, where the wingnit in question is attached) is giving improper powder throws. As I understand, the objective of this system is to bring the powder bar back to its original position after throwing powder. Maybe I'm just not understanding the issue!!!! I'm tired, run-down, and have gas
Old December 6, 2005, 02:56 PM   #7
renaissance7697

What are we talking about here ??

At first, I thought that we were talking about the "nut" that locks, {at a proper position on the "rod"} .....the "cylindrical mass" (into which is cut a notch for the powder check buzzer mechanism/head point to fall) [thereby NOT sounding the alarm]....when the probe end of the rod comes to a rest on top of the pile of powder which was dropped into the case by the powder measure.

Whew....that was hard!

Then people are talking about mechanisms on the Powder Measure [ I got rid of all that stuff and retrofitted my measure to the more sure (IMHO) double spring return set up].

Assuming that we are talking about the "powder Check mechanism in station #3...................... Mine came with an ordinary nut...which I have to use a wrench to tighten while holding the cylindrical mass with my fingers....

A WINGNUT ??? !!!

That sounds like a MUCH better Idea.

I am off to my hardware store for an ingenious upgrade.

>> >>>>>> DILLON ................... Why not ??

Mine came from BEnos with a ordinary nut...Was it supposed to be a wingnut ??
Old December 6, 2005, 04:38 PM   #8
Rivers

You won't need a nut of any kind, no batteries, no buzzer, if you use the RCBS Lockout Die.
Old December 6, 2005, 07:04 PM   #9
renaissance7697

for RIVERS

I HAVE a RCBS Lockout Die!
Used it with my Piggyback before I got my 650
It does work well
but no better than the Dillon Powder Checker
plus
The Dillon is easier to set..
and gives you a "visual" of how consistent your throws are (just note the position of the "point" within the "Groove")

I also believe the Dillon is more accurate
(3 different sized probing heads vs. 2 on the RCBS)
and
I never did like the jarring "slam" when the RCBS "Locked Up"

Buzzer is better

IMHO