The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2005, 08:38 PM   #1
No Name XII

Off Center Ram

Well, this is embarrasing to say the least. I have had my new press (An RCBS Rockchucker Supreme) for about a week, and Wednesday noticed that the ram is not lined up with the hole that the dies go in. If you are looking over the top of the press from where you would be sitting if you were loading, the head of the ram is between 1/16" and 3/32" to the right of centered. Fortunately for the rounds I had already made, the shell holder was indexed in such a way that the cartridge could slide instead of just being bent.
I noticed this when I was getting ready to put in a new sizing die and had the ram at the top of the stroke. At first I thought that it might have been the Lock N Load bushings, but after waiting a day (made a spanner (sort of) to make it easier to remove), and returning the original bushing to the press, there was no doubt. I called up Midway today, and they said I would have to return the whole package (I bought it as part of a kit). I wouldn't have a problem with this except that I had everything else from the kit set up, and it would be a real pain in the ass to take everything apart and pack it up again. Plus shipping would be crazy, and I don't know if they would cover that.
So I called RCBS. Guess what; they aren't open on Fridays. So now I have to wait until Monday just to be able to talk to somebody. Chances are that they will want me to send at least the press back before they even think about sending a new one out. This means that it will probably be at least next Monday before I get a new press, since they are in Oregon (I think).
This is really annoying; I had big plans for this thing over the next few weeks, and I just ordered a bunch of dies and other accessories. I guess the moral of the story is to check stuff like that when you first get something. I wouldn't think I would have to though; I would think that they would bore both the top hole and the hole for the ram in the same operation, ensuring alignment.
Has anyone else had this problem? This isn't within normal tolerances, is it? (I would hope not, especially when you have to be able to seat bullets and perform other operations to the thousandth of an inch.) What do you think I should do about it; Should I just return all of it to Midway, or should I go through RCBS? How is RCBS's service?

Last edited by No Name XII; November 26, 2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old November 26, 2005, 03:58 PM   #2
hivel37

Before the Blue Yodelers get cranked up -

Wait and contact RCBS. They stand behind their stuff 100%. Sorry about your problem, though. I've not heard of that one before.

All the major manufacturers are good about that.
Old November 28, 2005, 11:50 AM   #3
No Name XII

Well, I talked to RCBS, and they are sending out a new one. That was a pleasant surprise; most places give you a really hard time about returning stuff. I just told him what was wrong, and he just asked for my name and address and said a new press was going out. No questions asked. I'm glad I bought their product, even if it was messed up, since they took care of it without any hassle.

If anyone was curious to see.
Old November 28, 2005, 06:40 PM   #4
hivel37

Glad they handled your problem quickly, No Name.

RCBS and Redding, along with Dillon, back thier products up as they should. Probably Lyman, Forster and some others do also.
Old November 28, 2005, 06:55 PM   #5
drvector

Thanks for posting No Name XII, I just bought the Rock Chucker Supreme kit too. So I’ll have to examine it carefully when I open it. …Unfortunately though, it’s going to be my Christmas gift, so I’m going to have to wait another month before I can get a good look.
Old November 28, 2005, 09:58 PM   #6
No Name XII

DrVector, yours will probably be fine; I'm sure it was just a fluke, and I don't even understand how it could have happened. It just really freaked me out at first.

Oh, and have fun loading when you start; I think I found another hobby to waste all my time on instead of doing what I am supposed to.

P.S. You should try the Hornady Lock N Load bushing system, it really makes die changes less annoying. I would be weary of their installation instructions though, as it is relatively easy to jump the cam things on the bushing if you set it all the way in. What I did to get it out (and should have used to get it in) was to take a piece of steel stock (1/4" x 1 1/4") and grind or mill it down to 1/4" x 1.085", then round off the corners and tack a nut onto it. This way you can get a torque wrench (I think the spec is 50 ft-lbs) on it, and be applying force on a beefier part of the bushing. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
Old December 5, 2005, 11:54 PM   #7
No Name XII

Well, I got my replacement press today. I was hoping to get it by the end of last week, but oh well. This one appears fine, so it seems that it was probably just a fluke. RCBS support was good, although they did misspell both my name and street on the address label. As long as it got here though, I don't really care.
Old December 6, 2005, 11:20 AM   #8
Ruger4570

RCBS does in fact have great customer service. I bought a set of 45 LC dies a couple of years ago, and they were stamped 45LC. When I used the sizer I had to really push on the press handle to resize.. I later miked a case and found that it was the same size as my 44 Mag cases. I called RCBS and they sent me a new set of dies right away. It appears that a 44 Mag die set got marked 45LC. I guess we all make mistakes, but RCBS was fast to fix it.
I also had a Burris scope years ago and I had it on a .308 Win. I fired a couple of shots to sight in prior to a hunting trip the next week and the crosshairs after a few shots were an X. I called Burris, told them what had happened and they sent me a new scope even before I had to send the bad one back. I told them about my upcoming hunting trip out of State and the in fact "overnighted" to me,, now that is good service too.
It is too bad more companies don't realize that service is a big part of doing business.