The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 9, 2024, 10:24 AM   #1
44caliberkid

New 357 Magnum Lever Gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792jIBP5CHw

https://gforcearms.com/firearms/rifles/gflvr357-rifle/

It is also supposed to be cheap. Made in Turkey. Aluminum frame. Weighs 5.45 lbs. with polymer furniture.
Old March 9, 2024, 11:54 AM   #2
44caliberkid

I also noticed Winchester has a new .22 lever gun called The Ranger that has an aluminum frame and MSRP is $400.
Old March 9, 2024, 01:14 PM   #3
Pumpkin

Beware, sometimes you get what you pay for.
This new rifle might be great, but if not, you could have a hard time getting it functioning to your expectations.
Old March 9, 2024, 06:55 PM   #4
ThomasT

They have my attention. I am interested. Looks like a great truck gun. In my favorite round. Hopefully it will feed 38 sp too. I don't care where its made as long as its durable and accurate to the limits of the round. I like they used the model 92 action. One thing I did notice was that guy was dry firing the gun the hammer fall looked really slow.
Old March 9, 2024, 09:39 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
the hammer fall looked really slow.
While it would be smartest to have a clean lubed gun as your display piece, its not impossible that gun might be full of the shipping preservative "grease" slowing things down a bit. OR maybe its normal, watched many 92 hammers fall? I haven't.

What has me wondering is the long term durability and repair ability of the 92 action with an aluminum receiver.

Unlike the AR system where the bolt locks into the barrel and the aluminum upper just holds those parts, the 92 action locks at the rear, and while I assume they were smart enough to use steel inserts to lock into, I have my doubts about how long (round count) the mortises for the steel lockup inserts will hold up. Recoil force from the .357 Mag is very mild by rifle standards, so in that caliber, with the right design and alloys, they could last a good long time.

BUT, if something isn't right, things might get battered in fairly short order.

Guess we'll have to wait until someone wears one out to see.
Old March 20, 2024, 10:23 AM   #6
thekidd76

Has anyone done anymore research on these? I see Bud's has the walnut stock version for $587 cash price.