The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2017, 12:11 AM   #1
arpcentralone

Lee Classic Turret Press NEW priming arm issue

Hi! New poster here. I have been scanning these forums for quite a while now and decided to join! Everyone is so knowledgeable. I have an issue and I believe you fine folks may be able to offer some valid suggestions.

It appears the issue I am having is the primer arm is leaning back too far into the ram, or the shell holder hole is too large. I cannot seat the cartridge fully back into the shell holder to insert a primer. The primer will crush one side because it isn't centered with the primer pocket. It seems to be caused by the primer arm leaning back too far into the ram, causing it to hug one side of the shell holder priming hole. Without a cartridge in the shell holder, the priming arm is not protruding centered of the shell holder priming hole. I have placed a piece of electrical tape on the back side of the priming arm with great success, however, it is only temporary as the tape eventually falls off.

I have made every attempt to ensure the shell holder is installed correctly. It lines up perfectly with the dies I use. I am out of options here and decided, after purchasing and reading the Lee Precision Modern Reloading 2nd Edition book, that greater support was needed and that you would be quite interested in helping. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have some pics, let me figure out how to attach.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
Greg

issue.jpg
Old November 23, 2017, 03:55 AM   #2
rmelton

Looks like the primer arm is not centered in the little slot. take the arm and pull it to the left, make sure it sets down in the center of the slot.
the ram will move and line it up. youtube video showing how to fix it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcplq0vvzEs

Last edited by rmelton; November 23, 2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old November 23, 2017, 04:16 AM   #3
TruthTellers

I bought this same press about a month ago and even before I bought it I decided not to bother priming on it. That was more to do with the Safety Prime setup, not because the press has a design flaw or something.

If that video above doesn't help you fix it or nothing seemingly can, I'd looking into getting a priming tool that's off the press. I bought an RCBS hand primer because I like being able to prime wherever. There's other stuff out there, but mostly are bench mounted tools.
Old November 23, 2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Smoke & Recoil

Looks to me that you might be using the wrong primer cup.

After looking again, you have a wrong shell holder...put a Lee
shell holder in there.

Last edited by Smoke & Recoil; November 23, 2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Different opinion
Old November 23, 2017, 10:22 AM   #5
arpcentralone

Thanks for all the replies!

You know what, that's the wrong brand shell holder. I see that my Lee shell holders have a smaller hole. You guys are all right, to some varying degree, but the wrong brand shell holder hit it! I don't know how I didn't realize that before, but sometimes it takes another set of eyes to see clearly. I am going to order some Lee shell holders for my other dies and be happy.

I have though of priming separately. I just haven't gotten the equipment yet. If I go with a Lee primer, I will still need the Lee shell holders.

Thanks again!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Greg
Old November 23, 2017, 10:25 AM   #6
arpcentralone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelton View Post
Looks like the primer arm is not centered in the little slot. take the arm and pull it to the left, make sure it sets down in the center of the slot.
the ram will move and line it up. youtube video showing how to fix it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcplq0vvzEs
Hey, that's the angle of the camera/phone. It's actually centered nicely as I have had to do that already. I did go through all the little fixes for this press to make it right. Even still, i'm glad I bought it. Thanks for your reply!
Old November 23, 2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Smoke & Recoil

Also, keep in mind that the Lee hand priming tool and the Lee press use
different shell holders.
Old November 23, 2017, 03:56 PM   #8
arpcentralone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Recoil View Post
Also, keep in mind that the Lee hand priming tool and the Lee press use
different shell holders.
Yeah I was looking at the Lee shell holders and noticed 2 styles, one clearly marked for the primer system and one universal. I purchased the universal set for the press. They should be here soon so that I can continue. I don't know how long it would have taken me to figure out that I was using the wrong brand shell holders, as I was informed through many sources that the press would use most other brands. They should have pointed out that other brands were not compatible for all features, such as the Hornady cam-lock case trimmer needed Hornady shell holders due to the larger diameter hole. I should have drew my own conclusion on that one.
Old November 23, 2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Smoke & Recoil

The Lee Classic Cast Turret press is a great outfit, though many people don't understand
that the timing issue for detent is a simple matter to adjust. If you have timing issues
with yours...simply hold the square drive rod with a wrench and turn the square nut at
the top, I've found the need to do this at times when I change turret heads.

And yes...most shell holders are interchangeable between press', but as you'll find out, not all features of the press will work with any given shell holder.