The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 3, 2001, 05:45 AM   #1
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I've been reading Elmer Keith's "Hell, I Was There" and "Keith on Sixguns" recently and of course, I decided to try some long range revolver shooting. Last week at the range, I took some clay pigeons some one had missed and left on the range and put them in a row on the berm 150 yds downrange. (Wasn't I hopeful?) I've got a pair of S&W 29's and that's what I used. I sat on the shooting bench and braced the revolvers on a sandbag. I didn't hit the four inch targets but I sure made them nervous. I had dirt jumping all around them. I partially covered three of them with dirt from near misses and totally covered one of them. I think I could hit a coffee can without much problem on a regular basis. I'll let y'all know when I try it.
Old February 3, 2001, 03:06 PM   #2
Hal

Spartacus,
This is going to sound a bit crazy, but next time try sitting on the ground with your knees up, and brace your arms against the top of your thighs and rest your back against something solid. This is how Elmer fired at an old outhouse 600 yards away. I envey you folks that have the facilities to shoot handguns at 100-150 yards or more.My range limits handguns to the 50 yard range. I've tried the above technique at 50 yards w/.22 Ruger and a Buckmark shooting at empty 12 ga shells. I can hit them more often this way than I can using a rest. I found it a lot easier to walk the rounds onto the target doing this.
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Old February 3, 2001, 03:11 PM   #3
BigG

Elmer is cool!

What a cultural icon he is! If only gunwriters today had half the color of old Elmer everybody would be pro gun!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old February 3, 2001, 05:42 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

200 yards is my longest pistol shot. Its a very challenging sport.