The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 22, 2009, 02:49 PM   #1
mukibetser

870 Express Problems

I've had a few problems with my 870 Express 12 ga that I'd appreciate some help with. Occassionally, when a load a shell, the carrier comes down over the shell, which leads to all sorts of problems. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the gun? I've also had a shell become stuck in the chamber, but from what I've read that could be caused by a combination of expansion of non-brass shells and burrs or other defects in the chamber that can be buffed out, which I haven't done. Thanks.
Old May 22, 2009, 03:23 PM   #2
olmossbak

If you make less that a full stroke with the pump you can have a shell come out from the mag prematurely. Also try giving the piece a thorough cleaning including the chamber and the action. The action is very easy to take down. Let me know if you need instructions.

I would not buff the chamber with anything other than a brass brush covered with a patch saturated in solvent. You could have a build up of plastic residue which can be removed with elbow grease and any gun cleaning solvent. Have you been shooting 2 3/4 inch shells and then notice the problem with 3" shells? A good cleaning will eliminate the residue building up in front of the shorter shells.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The shell getting pushed back into the action on top of the shell lifter is an operator caused stoppage.

(In other words, it's your own fault)

To prevent this, you have to take care to push the shells ALL THE WAY into the magazine. When you don't quite push a shell all the way in, it gets pushed right back out again on top of the lifter.

If your gun has a long "U" shaped cut in the bottom of the lifter, you have a gun with the "Flex-Tab" system.
This allows you to clear the jam by simply pulling harder on the fore arm to open the gun.

As for the shells sticking in the chamber, first buy a shotgun chamber brush and scrub the chamber out. Shotguns are bad about carbon and plastic fouling building up in the chamber and causing shells to stick.

Second, try different, better ammo.

If that fails, you may need to polish the chamber, or have it polished by a gunsmith.
Old May 23, 2009, 05:26 PM   #4
MagnumWill

Here's an easy fix so you never have to worry about it again - get a Mossberg

This is good though, I've been looking into an 870 Express myself, and see what kind of stuff comes up with them.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Wallabing

Get rid of your 870 express and get another shotgun.
Old May 28, 2009, 09:06 AM   #6
oletymer

If you people quit buying the cheapest thing you can find there are still some good pumps around. The only ones I would buy are the Ithaca 37 and the Browning BPS. I used to include the 870 Wingmaster but the quality seems to be going down there as well. That being said the new Wingmaster is far better than the Express which is a truely crude firearm.

Last edited by oletymer; May 28, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:58 AM   #7
TEDDY

shotgun

the 870 is a shotgun made for low cost,little finishing done.not every one can afford the high cost guns.now if I had to pay the price I would not buy a gun period.I have enuf any way.and I have some that were low cost but are big bucks now mod 52 S&W,colt gold cup 45.garands, springfield.I got them when they were $80 class.
my 870 $0 the mossberg $100 new.the colt $250,the S&W 52 $250.and the mod 10 $60.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:07 AM   #8
GeauxTide

You must give it the full stroke. I've got an 870 WM and an Express Tactical. The finish is rough, but will be fine after a couple hundred rounds. Have you inspected the chamber after cleaning? I've never had a chamber stuck round, even using 35 year old shells.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:45 PM   #9
xm21

GeauxTide,it ain't the old shells that are giving problems,it's the new low cost stuff.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Naterstein

I havent had any problems outta my 870 Express yet.
Old June 1, 2009, 04:13 PM   #11
mukibetser

I think Dfarris hit it on the head. I'm not short stroking -- the problem occurs when I'm loading shells and it's probably my fault for not pushing the shells in all the way. For those who lament the crude build of the 870 express -- I hear you. The cheap laminate forend and rough finished barrel and receiver aren't pretty. However, I use this gun mainly for breaking clays launched with a trius one-step on an informal trap range, and for that purpose, with a 28" barrel. For that purpose, it performs well. I also use it with an 18" barrel for HD, which gives me a little pause since I've had a few problems, including shells sticking in the chamber, and don't have more than 100 rounds through it. Maybe a mossberg, or a stoeger 20" sxs or o/u for HD is in order.