The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 2, 2010, 09:23 AM   #26
thesheepdog

Pointing an empty weapon is a great way to get a broken arm.
Old September 2, 2010, 01:42 PM   #27
Daugherty16

You could always call a time out...

If they watch enough TV or play enough video games, they might go for it.

Anyway, why after expending all your ammo have you not neutralized the threat? Were you totally outnumbered before the SHTF? Did you have no way to run away before the first shot? Was your panic so uncontrollable, or your shooting just so poor from adrenaline or a thousand other things that you just couldn't hit the BG? or couldn't hit them all? or was your sin the worst of all - failure to bring enough ammo?

I assume they've been returning fire and you aren't immobilized yet, so they aren't shooting any better then you are. Guess i'd want to use available cover and run like the wind, only a wind that darts from cover to cover, zigs and zags.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old September 2, 2010, 01:48 PM   #28
TylerD45ACP

I never could understand how someone could carry a pistol with NO reload. Im not even comfortable with 1 reload, I want at least 2. I also want a backup pistol with a reload.
Old September 2, 2010, 01:50 PM   #29
DiscoRacing

Tyler... you want like four or five primary guns... two pocket guns(four if wearing cargo pants)..three ankle guns.... and two backups... all with four or five mags......and... if possible....a shotgun or two somewhere in the back/shoulders.
Old September 2, 2010, 02:09 PM   #30
TylerD45ACP

LOL, Disco. Sounds like you got something there .
Old September 6, 2010, 12:07 PM   #31
plumbernater

If you dont hit the bad guy by then runnnnnnnnnn, You need to practice if that question is in your head
Old September 11, 2010, 01:38 PM   #32
Manco

In situations like these, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
Old September 11, 2010, 02:09 PM   #33
Don P

When pointing that empty gun should we pull the trigger and say BANG, BANG your'e dead?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 11, 2010, 04:56 PM   #34
TylerD45ACP

I love when Harry Callahan is messing with the bad guys in one. He pulls up along side there car.
-(Harry)"Excuse me do you know where the entrance for San Quentin is?
-(BG)"What are you blind, you missed the sign on the fence back there?
-(Harry)"No, I see just fine. I just wanted to know if you knew where San Quentin was. You do, dont you A**hole."
I LOVE IT, HIS COMMENTS ARE GREAT.
Old September 11, 2010, 05:22 PM   #35
TimberWolf7.62

If forced, I'd rather use my pistol as a blunt object than a projectile. Or go to my knife.
Old September 11, 2010, 05:32 PM   #36
TylerD45ACP

Agree about the knife. I have a good folder, and know where to go with it on the human body. My mother is an R.N. she taught me alot about the human anatomy. Im glad because now I know better ways to disable it.
Old September 28, 2010, 02:20 PM   #37
booker_t

Quote:
..once all mags are depleted.
If for some reason it ever did come to that, and there is no escape, I'm pulling my knife and going to work.

Then again, if I run through 46 rounds and haven't stopped the threat, I might just try beating myself over the head with the gun and do the BG a favor. haha
Old September 28, 2010, 03:13 PM   #38
2500ak

"I know what you're thinking. Did he just fire six shots, or only five? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself." -Harry Callahan

As awesome as movie bluffs like that are, I don't think that a bluff like that, would work out quite so well in real life in most cases.

I suppose maybe if the assailant was really gunshy, and rational.
Old September 28, 2010, 03:41 PM   #39
Archie

Rounds ran out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugherty16
Anyway, why after expending all your ammo have you not neutralized the threat? Were you totally outnumbered before the SHTF? Did you have no way to run away before the first shot? Was your panic so uncontrollable, or your shooting just so poor from adrenaline or a thousand other things that you just couldn't hit the BG? or couldn't hit them all? or was your sin the worst of all - failure to bring enough ammo?
Mr. D here beat me to the answer.

I'd suggest practicing to the point where one runs out of adversaries prior to running out of ammunition. The adage "One cannot miss fast enough to win" applies to gunfights as well as matches.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 28, 2010, 03:47 PM   #40
hardworker

If I've fired that many shots and still am not safe you're gonna see me running like a Kenyan.
Old September 30, 2010, 03:33 PM   #41
TylerD45ACP

Agreed. No one wants to get into a SD situation; let alone a massive firefight where 30-45 rounds are fired between both parties . Mostly me .
Old September 30, 2010, 04:09 PM   #42
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

It might buy me enough time to decide whether to run away or throw it or decide to try to beat them down with it or whatever...

I'll note that, generally, folks tend to turn away from a gun being pointed at them. I don't know how much this applies to folks that have already been shot at a few times...
Old September 30, 2010, 04:10 PM   #43
jimbob86

If I am through the FIRST magazine, and the threat is still there, I am retreating until there is nowhere to go. I still have 9 more...
Old September 30, 2010, 06:22 PM   #44
Lucky 7

Why bother faking the funk with an empty gun?

The attacker(s) show intent to kill you (ie presenting a weapon) correct? Well, it's time for weapons of opportunity if you have burned through all your ammo. Use a dropped firearm, pipes, rocks or chunks of concrete, a knife, whatever you can find. The fight is on and you may have to get your hands dirty.

Regards and Semper Fi!
Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC

Last edited by Lucky 7; September 30, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old September 30, 2010, 07:43 PM   #45
kaylorinhi

Somebody stated something like this earlier...

Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

This maybe enough to get you that mental pause from BG to get the flock out of there!
Old September 30, 2010, 08:14 PM   #46
imprezagm4

We are absolutely taught to never show an empty weapon during my LE reserve class. Attempting to "bluff" someone who is still in the fight though? Not a chance!
Old September 30, 2010, 08:59 PM   #47
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

You know, I may not realize it's empty for a second, either. Just sayin'...
Old October 2, 2010, 05:15 AM   #48
therealdeal

it is a very possible scenario, but it is situation specific+you need to trust your gut. If you have distance between you and your target, you have fired a bunch of roads so far to help your situation, and the target doesn't know you are empty, then you can use this tool. You don't have to, but sometimes you only 'got what you got'. If its your last option than it can help. You have to decide the risk factor and if you are willing to pay the price(there might not be a better alternative).

example only:

-you have killed 3BG's and there is one left.
-you can't retreat(you are basically cornered)
-there hasn't been a huge time lapse and there is no reason why 4th BG thinks you're empty of ammo
-you see an opportunity to hold the 4th BG @ gunpoint(you're unloaded)

you can take it or do nothing. of course thats one of infinite scenarios.

in this perfect scenario, you could, in a very loud commanding voice inform BG you donot want to kill him like his friends but you will if he forces you to

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)