The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2016, 11:52 AM   #1
rebs

ladder test ?

Do you shoot about 5 or 6 different loads at the same target ?
Is 100 yds long enough range ?
Old October 8, 2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

For an Audette Ladder, shooting from the starting load to the maximum load you've already found for your gun in steps of about 2/3 of a percent of maximum charge weight is good. Be prepared to get no results with some powder and bullet combinations.

Creighton Audette used to shoot these ladders at 200 yards, but he was a benchrest shooter using heavy, ultra-precise guns. Randolf Constantine suggested 300 is a better range for most people and guns. You just have to avoid windy conditions. At 100 yards the shot-to-shot differences in POI can be difficult to discern.

You can see how I helped someone evaluate a 300 yard ladder by reading through this thread.

One system that makes it a little easier to find the differences in POI at 100 has you average three shots to improve the resolution of each the shot location, but this means having a separate bull for each load rather than putting all rounds onto the same target. That is part of Dan Newberry's method of finding loads in his OCW system. I would read about his theory from the start, and not just the instructions at the end of the first link in order to get a better overview.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 8, 2016, 09:48 PM   #3
nhyrum

I also prefer ocw. I have specifically designed targets to my liking.

I have slightly tweaked the color, and they're 2moa top to bottom. I also have some for 2 and 3 hundred yards that keep the same proportions

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old October 8, 2016, 10:45 PM   #4
firewrench044

I use different targets for each load
( targets are not expensive )

If 100 yards is all that is available use it, but farther is better
( 200 is what is available to me and that has worked fine )
Old October 11, 2016, 08:42 PM   #5
SARuger

I use a poster board with the 4" "shoot n c" stick on targets, one for each group/charge. At 100yrds, they are easy to see(many of my rifles are open sight)

So for example, if I have a start of 25g and a max of 27g, I will run my first test at .5g increments;

Five or six rounds at each charge.

I take the best group of those five and I load 5-6 more at .3g below and .3g above that best groups charge to see if I can dial it in closer.

Anyway, that's how I do it, a poster board, some stick on targets, .5g increments from min to max, and 5-6 rounds at each .5g increment. Then dial it in with .3g above or below that best group.

It works for me, everything I own is MOA or better, including my Mini 14. I live 5 min from my private range that I belong to so two trips to dial in a load isn't a huge inconvenience for me.