The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 3, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1
nate17170

H & R Sportsman .22

Recently got this gun from my grandfather, the original owner. My grandmother told me she bought it in 1950 for $52 at the local hardware store. The gun is in great shape, with very minor pitting on the barrel. it shoots great and works 100%. It's been living in the leather Bucheimer PMA-7 holster for more than 25 years. I just wanted to know some history on this gun, possibly the holster. The serial number is W 1147. Also, I haven't came across a pic of one with same grips as mine. Thanks in advance for any info, Nate.
Old November 3, 2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Smaug

Nice-looking gun Nate!

Similar to my "22 Special". The action seems to be about identical, mine is more rounded, while yours is more squared.

Yours seems to have a fuller grip frame. Mine is more of a grip stud, so I can tame the recoil with aftermarket grips.

I'm not sure what all that jazz is behind the trigger loop. just decorative?

That doesn't look like a stock hammer to me, unless your grandpa milled those marks in himself or replaced the hammer.

I like your grips loads better than mine. I'll just post links, so as not to hijack.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...uns/HR22_6.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...uns/hr22_1.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...uns/hr22_2.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...uns/hr22_3.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...uns/hr22_4.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...uns/hr22_5.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...uns/hr22_7.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...uns/hr22_9.jpg

If the mainspring is weak, I can tell you where to get one. Come to think of it, it may not be a bad idea to get one now, just in case. No telling how much longer they'll be made. (does yours use a leaf spring, or some kind of coiled spring)

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old November 4, 2008, 08:16 AM   #3
nate17170

The mainspring is a coil spring. I would like to know where to get one, always good to have a spare. I'll ask him if he jeweled the hammer, but he's pretty deep into Parkinsons's, so who knows if he will remember. nice pistol btw, does look very similar to mine.
Old November 4, 2008, 02:17 PM   #4
sasquatch

Nate:

I have the twin brother to yours (your photography skills are much better than mine).

The hammer is jeweled like yours, and the grips are the same. I have seen two of these at gun shows recently, and the hammer was the same.

Fun gun, and very accurate as well.

Old November 4, 2008, 07:19 PM   #5
woad_yurt

A tidbit....

"W" serial number prefixes signify a 1960 model year.

PS: Great gun! I'm jealous. I love H&Rs.
Old November 5, 2008, 12:13 PM   #6
RWBlue01

Great Gun!

My grandfather had one also. I had access to it for many years. As we divided up the guns, I let my brother have it. I kind of regret that. Even though I have several other 22lr rifles and pistols I would like to have that one back.
Old November 5, 2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Merk_fmr8511

I have the same revolver with a 4 inch barrel that belonged to my grandfather as well. My dad taught me how to shoot with his revolver that has a 6 inch barrel. I haven't been able to shoot the guts out of mine yet.
Old November 24, 2008, 10:35 AM   #8
flight

H & R "Sportsman"

Hi folks. Just happened to come across my fathers H & R Sportsman last night. It looks very, very similar to the one Smaug has posted, except that the rear sight clip is squared vs round. Handgrip is identical.

The cylinder retaining pin is apparently quite worn, as the auto-eject feature no longer works. You have to remove the cylinder and manually press the extractor to remove cartridges.

Other than that, the bluing is pretty bad. Looks as though somebody tried to either scrub it off, or used some type of nasty solution on it. As I recall, although the last time it was fired was over 10 years ago, it is a fairly accurate, fun shooter. What I believe to be the serial number is stamped on the frame beneath the grips, and also on the "front" of the frame near the bottom of the grip. Serial number is A2459.

I have no idea how long my Dad had this. He was born in 1897, and served in WWI. Any info or opinions on this handgun would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Old November 24, 2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Smaug

flight - It could well be that it was just not put back together right last time it was taken apart.

I took mine apart to give it a thorough cleaning last week, and it took me some time to figure out how to get the extraction working again.

Take out the break-open hinge screw, pull it apart, and see if there are any broken parts. There should be one loose part in there, which must be assembled correctly for it to work right.

I was having lots of problems with mine, but finally figured out one of the rotating notches on the back of the cylinder was chewed up. Mine was over-rotating in DA firing, and it would shoot the bullet right into the frame, shaving off a chunk of it. One part would splatter on the frame and jam up the cylinder, the other part would go down the barrel and come keyholing out, cutting weird shapes in the target. SA, there is no such problem. I don't want to spend the money to have it fixed by a gunsmith, so I'll just use it in SA mode. (it isn't a combat handgun, after all)

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old November 27, 2008, 11:46 AM   #10
flight

Older(?) Sportsman

Hi Smaug -

Funny thing: The evening following my post, I did break her down. Didn't go so far as to pull the hinge, but, after some detail cleaning with a bit of LPS, it appears the retainer is working properly! I plan on taking it to the range, and at least throw a couple of rounds in SA (maybe in DA if I'm brave. (Nah, everything seems to line up and lock properly)

As this appears to be an early model (hence the "A" serial number), and it is one of the few things I have from my Dad, I'm probably going to check around for quotes on reblueing. I'm sure it'll cost more than it's worth, but as I said, sentimental value.

If I have a chance, I'll post a link or two for photo's. Maybe you kinds folks can take a peak and just tell me what you think.

Everyone please have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.

Breathe, Relax, Aim, Stop, ...Eat/Enjoy!
Old November 27, 2008, 12:06 PM   #11
45Marlin carbine

my Great-Uncle (WW1 vet) had one of those. I admired that pistol every time I saw it. no telling at the grouse, rabbit, squacks and coons he took w/it.
he died while I was in service and the pistol went to who knows where. I'd like to have one.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:41 AM   #12
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

Smaug's H&R is one like the second gun I ever had a chance to fire, about 1943. I remember needing two hands to hold it, and the double action pull was a BEAR. The big 'bag' grip marks it as prewar. I was told that the grip was delivered in that shape so that the shooter could carve and customize it to his desire. The gun in nate's post is a prettified post WWII version, when H&R seems to have tried to make the piece look more like S&W revolvers. The bar behind the trigger guard is H&R's take on a 'grip adapter'. The earlier bag grip didn't need any filler in that area, but H&R apparently thought the new grip needed it.
The Model 999, as it's known, is the apex of the H&R revolver heirarchy. It was definitely below the Colt and S&W .22 revolvers in 'charisma', but it was a rugged and accurate gun. The bag grip was quite a handful for a young shooter at the time, as I remember.
There is a trick to reassembling the gun so that the auto eject works, but I have forgotten it. A web search for '999 H&R' would probably turn something up.
Nice guns. They're no K22 or Officer's Match, but they'll serve all but the most serious needs for a rimfire revolver.
Your Buchheimer holster is something of a collector's item itself. Buch. made a lot of police leather and sportsman's holsters and gun cases, before WWII. Good stuff, look how long it's lasted to still look that good!