The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 30, 2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Southern Shooter

Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum...Should it be retired?

My daughter spends a lot of time in the mountains of Utah and wanted a gun to carry while she was out hiking and/or camping. I offered her my S&W 629 .44 Magnum. And, even though she could shoot it the grip frame is a bit large for her hands (she is barely 5' 3"). I have an early 1980's production Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel, a Hogue monogrip, nice trigger pull, that has perfect timing and rock solid lock-up, and fits her hand. My thought is that with 158-200 grain hard cast bullets she could take care of herself while out and about.

I have been catching a little flack from friends who say that because the Security-Six parts are near impossible to get that I should get her a more recent production gun like the SP101 .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel. Then if something happens to the gun it can more easily be repaired.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; January 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old January 30, 2014, 10:35 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Why would you think you'd need to get parts? That gun will take thousands and thousands more rounds before you even think of getting parts for it. Also, Ruger can still provide parts for the gun and any good gunsmith can make or repair a part if needed. I had a Ruger Security Six that was customized by Bill Davis and has had at least 50,000 rounds fired out of it with no repairs to date. I sold it to another shooter who shoots it every week and he's put several thousand rounds out of it. I would give her the gun and never have second thoughts about it.
Old January 30, 2014, 11:32 AM   #3
shrewd

unless you're looking for a reason to pick up a new gun, of course
Old January 30, 2014, 11:57 AM   #4
mavracer

Odds are pretty low that she's gonna break it or wear it out, they are one of the best built 357s ever and will stand up to a lot of shooting.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 30, 2014, 12:07 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

Quote:
unless you're looking for a reason to pick up a new gun, of course
Yup. You always have that to fall back on. I do it myself.....it's a guy thing.
Old January 30, 2014, 12:08 PM   #6
g.willikers

Why that shootin' iron is barely 30 years old.
Probably ain't even broken in good, yet.

Sounds like a good subject for a new conversation - what's the oldest gun you have?
Old January 30, 2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Southern Shooter

Oldest gun?

I have a 1936-1938 Mossberg Model 25A .22 rifle and a 1940 H&R .22 revolver, 1953 H&R .22 revolver, and a 1960 J.C. Higgins Model 88 .22 revolver. And, yes, I use them often.

I have thought about using the "I want/need a new gun" excuse. LOL...I have used that excuse too many times. It is a costly excuse.
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; January 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old January 30, 2014, 12:44 PM   #8
Sharpsdressed Man

Do we know for sure that Ruger is unable to fix a Security Six? They may still be servicing them. Beyond that, I doubt that it will ever break.
Old January 30, 2014, 12:49 PM   #9
CajunBass

One of the things I have never needed in my life is a part for a gun...any gun. I'm sure they break from time to time but it's never happened to me.

But let's assume for a moment that it might, so you "retire" it. What good is it doing you now? You're not shooting it. It might as well be broken.

Either way, you're not shooting it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 30, 2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Southern Shooter

An Unused Gun Is An Unhappy Gun

CajunBass,
Point well made. My guns are "tools" to me...they each have a purpose. Take care of them, wisely use them, if they break try and fix them, if they can't be fixed and they have sentimental value then make them a wall-hanger.

What better use of a gun than to protect a loved one.

Thanks for the reminder.

Old January 30, 2014, 12:57 PM   #11
g.willikers

The concern probably is that it might fail when it was most needed.
The oldest handgun I now have is a mere 40 years and I'd trust it anywhere.
The oldest long gun is 68 years old, a relic from WW2, and it works just fine.
Most guns will outlast many generations, even with regular use.
There might be something wrong in the universe if the stuff we make is better than us.
Old January 30, 2014, 02:40 PM   #12
RUT

Get her a new SP101 w/ 3" bbl and be done with it.
Old January 30, 2014, 02:53 PM   #13
Southern Shooter

Rut....Why??

Rut, why do you say that?
Old January 30, 2014, 02:59 PM   #14
RUT

Because it's "new", so you wouldn't have any problems with parts availability. (not that you'll need any) For a woman in particular, it's a bit smaller and more wieldy than a S.S., and the 3" bbl. makes a nice compromise. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the S.S. and have had several over the years. If the 4" bbl. is ok for you there's also the new SP101 w/ 4.2" bbl. and adjustable sights. Just trying to throw out some alternatives.
Old January 30, 2014, 03:02 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

The Ruger is a solid, dependable gun. If it suits her, and she it, its a no-brainer.

If you want to get her something in current production, by all means do so, but there is no need.

The most dangerous critter commonly encountered while hiking walks on two legs. For that, I would recommend a good 125gr JHP load. A speedloader with hard cast 158s to switch to in bear country. The 125gr would also be fine medicine for cougar, wolf, or coyote if needed. Many will carry a shot load as the first up, as snakes are most common of all, in warm enough weather.

I'm an old S&W (pre lock) guy for DA revolvers, but I do know the Security Six, and even I won't tell you to get a S&W instead.

Lots of folks these days are big on the 180gr or heavier bullets, but in a mid size revolver, with a 4" barrel, I think a 158/160 hard cast slug will get you as much as you need, and then some, plus being a little easier on the gun, and the shooter.
Old January 30, 2014, 04:57 PM   #16
Garycw

Sounds like a good choice to me. If load it up with first shotshell, two FMJ & three JHP , but I'm funny that way.
Old January 30, 2014, 07:39 PM   #17
Homerboy

One benefit to ruger (and I love S&W) is in the unlikely event the six is beyond repair ruger will sell you a gp or sp at cost (like less than
400 bucks) shipped right to your door

I have a service six and have no doubt my grandkids will shoot it and my son is only 7!
Old January 30, 2014, 08:52 PM   #18
jrothWA

USE it, ...

let the grandkids worry about parts.

I carried two speedloaders full of the Federal 180gr hot cast leads for hiking in the Cascades.
Old January 31, 2014, 12:45 AM   #19
Jim March

That gun is a really excellent piece for the described role.

It is a fraction larger than an S&W K-frame 357 but significantly stronger. Smaller than a GP100 or S&W L-frame, not much heavier than an SP101 but holds an extra shot.

Ruger stopped making the DA "Six series" mainly because they were too expensive to produce, and people assumed they were weak because they were similar in size to the K-frame S&Ws that did have long-term reliability issues, esp. when the latter were pushed hard with hot 125gr loads that were becoming popular in police circles.

It's as reliable as anything else you can score for her. I'd say put it into service.
Old January 31, 2014, 01:21 AM   #20
cheezhed

I have a security six that I bought new in 1975 and it still is in excellent shape.
I do not know what parts you expect to break but I do know people that have had problems with brand new guns. If you have not had problems with this piece then why should your daughter.
Old January 31, 2014, 01:29 AM   #21
JimmyR

You've provided her with a revolver whose durability is the stuff of legend and lore. Replacing it with a newer model out of fear that it will fail is rather silly. If the revolver timing and lock up are as good as you say, then what reason do you have to be afraid? The new models won't do anything that your Security Six won't do. You're essentially wasting money (unless, as has been stated above, you just want a new gun) retiring that gun in prime condition.
Old January 31, 2014, 02:40 AM   #22
Webleymkv

The only times I've ever even heard a Security Six damaged beyond the point that it could be easily and inexpensively repaired are cases of abject abuse.

If it makes you feel better, Gun Parts Corp still has most of the parts for these guns in stock and you could easily and inexpensively stock up on small parts like the pawl, transfer bar, and various springs which would be most likely to need replacement in the future. Honestly though, unless your daughter plans to subject the gun to some pretty extreme situations, I doubt it would ever give her problems.
Old January 31, 2014, 03:31 AM   #23
leadcounsel

The Security Six would probably last the average person several lifetimes of shooting without needing repair, with basic maintenance.

It's an excellent revolver, well suited for back country, with manageable recoil for a smaller shooter.

It'll take care of any 2 or 4 legged predators except probably a bear... and you'd need to step up so an unmanageable .50 caliber SW 500 or a long gun to help her with a bear.

So, send her off with the Ruger, some quality training and ammo, and a can of bear spray, and a bearbell and whistle and other back woods tools and feel confident she'll be fine.
Old January 31, 2014, 09:29 AM   #24
Hal

Ruger "Six" series guns aren't all that rare.

They aren't common - but - they aren't rare either.

I did a quick look see and they seem to be going for $400 to $450 - asking price.

They seem to be an exceptional value at the moment.
If I wanted to invest in a gun that should go up in value in the next few years, I believe I'd be sinking some money into a few.
Old January 31, 2014, 09:50 AM   #25
savagecornmuffin

I think the Ruger will server her well. So will the 200 grainers.

Also,.. I hate to stray to far from the original plan,... but if bears are a real issue, 10mm Glock. They are ugly, but they keep a lot of lead on tap and the 10 has the punch to handle all of her potential Ursine woes. It does have a thick"ish" grip. My wife and daughter didn't like the grip of my Glock until they had run out a few mags. And there's a Short frame version for those with smaller hands. 10mm, even full on hot loads, are easier to shoot than the 44 mag.

If it were my pride and joy out, I'd fell better knowing there was 15 shots ready to go riding on her hip and an extra mag to boot.