The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 1, 2019, 09:43 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Ruger American Go Wild

I Traded my used savage 110 Tactical desert today for a NIB Ruger American Go Wild in the same caliber.

The Savage was great. Shot well etc. I decided though that I wanted something lighter.. Something that wasn't as difficult to carry if I choose to hunt with it.

Also one reason is that I wanted a rifle that wasn't throat-ed as long as the Savage. With the Savage, With the eldx and game changer 6.5mm bullets. I couldn't get any closer than .050 from the lands at mag length.

With the Ruger, I can fit both bullets into the magazine when seated to the lands. This will make it easier for me to Tune my loads with this rifle I think.

Overall, Its what I set out looking for today. After switching to the lighter rifle and losing the Bipod. This rifle comes in 3.5 pounds lighter than the Savage was setup with the same scope.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 1, 2019, 09:57 PM   #2
Chaparral

I bought one this last deer season in 7mm-08. Dandy little rifle. And I reload for it. It is quite accurate.
Old March 2, 2019, 07:19 AM   #3
std7mag

The Ruger American are known to be shooters. Let us know how she does.
Don't forget.
New rifle, new load workup. Throw all your notes from the Savage away.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 2, 2019, 09:21 AM   #4
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
The Ruger American are known to be shooters. Let us know how she does.
Don't forget.
New rifle, new load workup. Throw all your notes from the Savage away.
Yeah, I already started figuring where I am gonna start. I have made my dummy rounds. And picked up some new powder to try. I got some RL 17. I think between the RL 17 and H-4350 I will find a winning load with each of the bullets I intend to use.

But Range time will have to wait till next week. I got sucked into working this weekend so.......
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 2, 2019, 04:31 PM   #5
std7mag

Hmmm...
Kinda a toss up which will be faster. Leaning towards RL17.

Old March 2, 2019, 05:35 PM   #6
kilotanker22

Both Sierra and Hornady data suggests that I can get around 100 fps with RL 17 vs H-4350.

The reason for the purchase of RL 17 is for the 130 grain Game changer. With H 4350 I wasn't able to push it any faster really than the ELDX.
– St. Augustine
Old March 5, 2019, 04:39 PM   #7
kilotanker22

This rifles definitely shows some promise. I shot a few loads today. I shot some rl17 with the eldx. Very tight group, but the load was a little hot with the federal brass I had. (That brass always shows high pressure)
– St. Augustine
Old March 5, 2019, 06:32 PM   #8
std7mag

Good to know she shoots well.
Of course i wasn't too worried about a Ruger shooting.
Now if Sierra would quit playing ammo maker, and get back to making bullets, then i'd be happy!

Old March 5, 2019, 07:39 PM   #9
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Good to know she shoots well.
Of course i wasn't too worried about a Ruger shooting.
Now if Sierra would quit playing ammo maker, and get back to making bullets, then i'd be happy!
Yeah no kidding.
– St. Augustine
Old March 6, 2019, 06:58 PM   #10
PlatinumCore16

Sad to see you trade it, I'm actually getting into one here in the very near future, but it sounds like the Ruger will make you a bit happier. Keep us updated.
Old March 7, 2019, 10:01 PM   #11
DPI7800

Sure I’ll be persacuted for this but I am certainly not a fan of the Ruger American. My experience with the one in 243 I purchased for my son is not all that stellar. Now I will throw out there I have exacting standards and perhaps this is my problem, if it doesn’t shoot sub MOA preferably 1/2 MOA I’m not impressed.

So far at this point the best I have been able to achieve is 1 1/2 MOA shooting one round every 3 minutes with an open bolt and no mag inserted in between rounds. Typical results at more akin to being 2MOA.

A coworker has had similar results with one in 308.

Neither one of us are inexperienced reloaders in any way. My loads for my other rifles are all consistent in the 1/2 MOA range.

Again perhaps I am use to higher standards.

Last edited by DPI7800; March 8, 2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old March 10, 2019, 02:38 AM   #12
Jsnake711

Wow, my ruger 308 is shooting under 1/2"with sst165gr. Maybe just that there is a few bad ones. It was shooting 1 1/2" with factory ammo.