The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 11, 2010, 04:51 PM   #1
PRONE2

One happy Dad!

My two boys have been waiting to take there hunters education for years and then that magic age of 11yo hit! So for the past 2 weeks every Monday and Wed night from 6:30 to 9:30 I have taken them to class and enjoyed it along with them. So last night was the "big" test and I must say they were soooo nerveous before they took it. So as I stood outside the door for what seemed like hours while they were takeing the test, when all the sudden it hit me I was just as excited/nerveous as they were. As they walked out of the room to set and wait for there grades both boys had the "pale white" face thing going on, one of them even began to shake and told me he thought he was going to pass out! As the instructor gave people the grades and we saw some of the "older kids" failing my boys sank deeper and deeper in there chairs. When he got around to them I was ready either to jump for joy, or do CPR! Well lets just say I now have 2 new hunting partners, and the ride home was filled with plans for our first hunt together! I know when they finally got to bed last night they could not have been prouder of themselves, and the smile is still on my face. No matter when it is or what it is for, my next hunt will be a great one with my boys.
Old March 11, 2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Alan Duke

Thats GREAT!! I am teaching my son as much as I can already. He's 7 right now. Give them a congradulations and a pat on the back for me. Good job Dad.
Old March 11, 2010, 05:56 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats and tell the boys that others are also proud of their new "card"!

Well, Don't fergit to plan them into any florida hog doggin you may wish to try with junior and me.

If on private land (100% of my hog doggin is on private land) you folks don't need anything in the sort of license or permits. Makes for a cheap hunt and reduces trip costs drastically. For gunnin' I really cannot do much to remotely guarantee a shot let alone a kill. Chances improve greatly when the crops are near ripe but still would only be good enuff for me to say 25% chance ONE of you would get a shot.

I expect that in a month or 3 I should have a new dog or 3 ready to go.
Brent
Old March 12, 2010, 12:25 AM   #4
reloader28

Congrats.
Just in time for turkey hunting too!
If you guys are like my daughters and me ,we cant wait for turkey hunting season.
I dont know what the age limit is there, but hopefully they'er old enough to shoot one.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:23 AM   #5
camper4lyfe

That's awesome.

Congrats!
Old March 12, 2010, 10:00 AM   #6
2damnold4this

Congratulations! It's great to see some new hunters entering the fields.
Old March 12, 2010, 11:00 AM   #7
knoxville

i still remember that day. all i wanted to do was hunt with dad he was my hero andi'm sure you are thiers. Can't wait til my boy is old enough to hunt. Congrats
Old March 12, 2010, 12:33 PM   #8
taylorce1

Good job to your boys!

My daughter who is 7 can't wait to start hunting with me. I told her when she passes her Hunters Safety I'll get her a big game rifle. I've already got it in the works, the day she passes her Hunters Safety I'll present it to her. I should have a nice custom Kevin Weaver built .250-3000 Savage on a Mini Mauser action Pac-Nor 20" #1 coutour barrel, bedded in a purple or pink laminate stock, topped with a Leupold VXII 2-7X33 scope. Thank god I have a few years to pay for it.

Should be all she needs for her first pronghorn hunt. Can't wait to hear your first hunt report with your boys. Keep us posted please.
Old March 12, 2010, 03:56 PM   #9
grubbylabs

That's great, I hope you have been taking them "hunting" all along though. I started prepping my son this year. He is only 4yrs old but we had a nice day so I took him on an afternoon hunt this year and we had a blast together. I am sorry if I sound preachy I don't mean to, but I hope you have been doing things like this with them already. Next year when archery season roles around we will go on some walks that I will call hunting, I'll carry my bow but it will be all about him.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 12, 2010, 04:30 PM   #10
PRONE2

thank you

Gurb, yes I have had them out in the woods on deer and turkey hunts and we shoot bows in the backyard when the weather is nice and walk the woods looking for tracks and animal sign. But they understood that this was the big step that lets them have there own hunting permit (well they still have to show and explain how they will be safe to the rest of the family who they will be sharing the hunting camp with), and not just be observers all the time.

Thank you to everyone for the congrats! I will show the boys this tonight at the dinner table. It's such a joy to watch them grow from children into young men. Thanks again to the TFL family.
Old March 12, 2010, 10:01 PM   #11
grubbylabs

I told my 4yr old that he gets to go on those "hunts" with me and he was so excited he cant hardly stand it. That is great that you have taken the time to spend with your children, so few parents do any more. Good luck to the three of you.

Since they are both doing it at the same time are they twins?

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 12, 2010, 11:12 PM   #12
Gbro

Way to go Dad, Those boys have a very bright hunting future ahead of them.
I sure feel for those that are not given the chance to hunt.
I have always enjoyed having parents sit in with their children during firearms safety. Its just another way of tightening the bond IMHO. However I do not remember ever not including the parents in the test. I never score it but let the parent do that while we are reviewing every test question.
Our spring class starts a week from next Monday and I have a bunch of pre-registered boys that are so excited about the upcoming class, and I have a Grandson 15 that will be a junior instructor this year. Now you think kids are excited about taking this class, this boy is beyond excited. He has all kinds of ideas that he thinks we should use Its going to be fun and I am excited too!

In Safety,
Gbro
Old March 13, 2010, 01:27 AM   #13
bamaranger

good job

the future of our sport
Old March 24, 2010, 10:32 AM   #14
davlandrum

Another proud papa

My boys went 3-for-3 on their final test! Oldest one completely on his own, the younger 2 (9 and 7) needed some reading help for the test. Since there was obviously a conflict of interest (I am one of the instructors), one of the other instructors did the reading with them.

Oldest one (14) is interested in becoming a junior instructor now.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old March 24, 2010, 12:18 PM   #15
Gbro

Quote:
Oldest one (14) is interested in becoming a junior instructor now.
That's the right age. I have started 2 youngsters out at that age that went on to become instructors.
There is no official program here for junior's but they do get entered on the instructor roster as do any helpers and then have the year(s) count for continuous service.
Old March 24, 2010, 02:22 PM   #16
Uncle Ben

I just love these stories. It is so great to see when Dad's want to share their hobby, tradition and heritage with their children. Congratulations and good for you. Thanks for sharing.
Old March 24, 2010, 11:30 PM   #17
Fat White Boy

That's what life is all about! I remember my dad sitting with me through Hunter's Safety class at that age. The wasn't a prouder kid in the world when I was on my first dove hunt with him... I was more than rewarded when my boy passed his class and started hunting with me.
Old March 24, 2010, 11:32 PM   #18
javven

You have done your kids and your country a great service. Congrats to them both.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:20 AM   #19
twinners

I have twin 4 year old girls and they have found deer tracks in a pumpkin patch and while we were "hiking" a trail. Awesome. Of course they also want to hunt using a pink horse to ride on. Have to wait to see if that works out.
Old March 25, 2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Gbro

What a lively class this year!
The class is 10 boys and 9 little ladies.
I have been using different power point games like Jeopardy, Family Feud and Who wants to be a gazillion-air for a few years. These students just love the competition of these games! The girls almost beat the boys, we ended in a tie. You talk about some intense moments waiting for the question to come on the screen. When almost all students are on there feet because of the pressure to be 1st makes me think my review of the information covered is working. The boys biggest downfall was buzzing in(first hand in the air) and not being able to give an answer in the 8 second window.
I have 2 junior instructors. One 16 year old girl that was by far the top student in her class 5 years ago. The other is my 15 year old grandson that is a standout also.

I love working with these youngsters!
Old March 28, 2010, 04:47 PM   #21
James R. Burke

Yup give them a big congradulations. Good job. We need young hunters who are into the sport. Congradualtions on your part also. I thing most the time the parent is a big part in all of it. Nice job!
Old March 28, 2010, 09:28 PM   #22
TXGunNut

This thread makes me feel better about the future of hunting. Thanks to all you supportive dads and instructors!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #23
davlandrum

Gbro - PM sent

While volunteering to be an instructor, and doing a good job at it, is a commitment on my part, we would be talking to an empty room if the parents were not willing to bring the kids! Being a parent of 4, I realize what a chore that can be.

Thanks to all who keep our sport going and growing!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old March 29, 2010, 12:03 PM   #24
taylorce1

Here is the thread where I took my future hunting partner on her first hunt.

Got Skunked!

She almost got a new 22 rifle this weekend. If it hadn't been a 3hr wait due to the local Gun Show she would have had a hot pink Crickett to shoot with me this coming weekend. May slip over to Wal-Mart and pick it up this week.