The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2009, 03:42 AM   #1

Problem with rcbs 5-0-5 scale

I decided to put a new work top on my bench the other day and after doing so, i was reorganizing. I was moving a box to the back of the bench and bumped into my scale, tipping it over on its side. I set the set the scale back up and now it won't zero no matter where i turn the wheel, (all in/out/middle) it doesnt come close. I checked the bench for level in both directions, I wiped off both pans, and checked the V notch pivots, i really can't see anything wrong, but then again, it would have to be obvious, because i didn't memorize exactly the way everything was prior to the accident. And I've taken the beam completely out a few times. Nothing seems to change. It zeros out at 1.3 gr. I weighed about 5 each 120gr partions, 117gr Hornady SST, 117gr Sierra SPBT. I've weighed bullets before I had scale problems I know they arent all perfect. They all weighed correct +/-.01 plus 1.3gr (partions 121.3, SST 118.3 Sierra 118.3) What should I do? Send the scale back? Maybe try something to remove some weight from the gold pan? I was thinking abrasive rubbing compound, 600grit sand paper, needle file. Any thoughts?

Last edited by 257; December 1, 2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: additional information
Old December 1, 2009, 04:16 AM   #2
Lee Roder

Perhaps your new bench top now isn't level?
Or if the scale has supports, maybe one got knocked off.

Raising one end of your scale to zero it would be less drastic than permanently removing material.
Old December 1, 2009, 08:24 AM   #3
steve4102

Did you put the brass powder pan back on the scale?
Old December 1, 2009, 09:00 AM   #4
wncchester

I'm confused about your 505.

You mention "both pans"...? Are you refering to two pans or the (gold) pan and (alum) pan hanger assembly?

And "the wheel"... do you mean the leveling screw at the left end? THAT is the only "zero" adjustment you have. Set the poises at zero with the pan in place and no weight, adjust the screw for beam zero and you should be fixed. ??

If you are using any beam scale on the bench top you would be a LOT happier if you put it on a small support or shelf at about nose height. That makes it much easier to read the pointer marks.
Old December 1, 2009, 11:57 PM   #5

its fixed... i guess?

i set it up on a block of wood, i had to do this because the hanger pan was grazing the bench top just enough to keep it from balancing. it doesnt seem right to have the adjustment screw that far out, it wasnt that far out before. but it works thanks for the replies
Old December 2, 2009, 12:28 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
i set it up on a block of wood, i had to do this because the hanger pan was grazing the bench top just enough to keep it from balancing
That shouldn't be happening. Something is definitely wrong.
Don't reload with that scale, until the problem is solved.

Can you post a picture of your current set up for the scale?
Old December 2, 2009, 12:34 AM   #7
LHB1

I wonder if the wire hanger arm got bent when the scale fell over. This might be letting the pan sit lower than it did before. If this is the problem, a simple bending of the hanger arm wire to raise or straighten the pan should correct your problem.
Old December 2, 2009, 04:09 AM   #8
Stargazer

Similar thing happened to me. Send it back, RCBS will stand behind it, they had Ohaus scale send me a new one. I had had that scale for decades, no questions asked, they just sent me a new one.

M70 Web Page
Old December 3, 2009, 10:47 PM   #9
jpsshack

Quote:
That shouldn't be happening. Something is definitely wrong.
Don't reload with that scale, until the problem is solved.
+1 on that. It ain't worth it