The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 16, 2017, 08:21 PM   #1
rmocarsky

Commander hammer

I was wondering and for the life of me I can't figure out what purpose did/does the commander hammer on a 1911A1 serve over the traditional style hammer?

I figure it had to be for a purpose since our military did it.

Rmocarsky
Old June 16, 2017, 08:45 PM   #2
briandg

So, here you go. It was reported by one of the really smart guys who write in gun magazines that it was designed for cavalry or horsback use, as the shooter could swipe the thing downward on his saddle to cock it.

Myself, I figure that it wass less likely to hang up on things.
Old June 16, 2017, 08:58 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Since Colt's "commander" hammer did not come out until around 1960, I think any intention of use by cavalry would have been a bit late. Other pistols, e.g., the Radom, had that kind of hammer earlier supposedly so it could be cocked by rubbing the gun across the saddle. (The Poles found to their dismay that while they were worrying about horse cavalry cocking their pistols, the Germans were building tanks.)

Actually, the rounded top hammer was used by Browning early on and the very first .45 model, the 1905, had that type hammer; the U.S. military decided on the spur hammer so it could be more easily cocked when the pistol was held in one hand (the other being needed to control the horse).

Jim
Old June 17, 2017, 12:58 AM   #4
briandg

guess we need to take that warning about information on the internet to the printed word.

Who would have imagined something that wasn't right being actually printed?
Old June 17, 2017, 02:22 PM   #5
KyJim

I always just thought it was used to reduce hammer bite.
Old June 17, 2017, 03:48 PM   #6
Ed4032

Me too
Old June 17, 2017, 04:05 PM   #7
rkbanet

The commander hammer helps to prevent hammer bite. It is only recently that some military M1911 pistol have been outfitted with one.
Old June 17, 2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Rob228

Quote:
The commander hammer helps to prevent hammer bite. It is only recently that some military M1911 pistol have been outfitted with one.
This got me thinking. I honestly cannot remember if my MEUSOC 1911 had one or didn't, and I can't find any pictures that show the hammer. What I do remember about that little gem, was despite the fact that it was a great shooter, whoever the guy was at PWS that fitted the beavertail didn't blend it very well and my hand was a bleeding mess at the end of every 600 round day during our 6 week shooting course. Can't remember anything about the hammer though.
Old June 17, 2017, 07:01 PM   #9
claydoctor

In 1949,the original Commander, now known as the Lightweight Commander, was developed to participate in Army trials to replace the standard 1911. A lighter, more compact version was desired. I do not know for a fact but always assumed, that the rowel or circular hammer served the same purpose as the lanyard loop on earlier 1911's, to prevent the gun from being separated from the user during combat .
Old June 17, 2017, 08:34 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

You can't use the hole in the hammer for a lanyard.
Think about it.
Old June 17, 2017, 10:20 PM   #11
ocharry

Lmao....hole in the hammer for a lanyard....lol..lol..

That is a good one right there...lol

Ocharry
Old June 18, 2017, 01:00 PM   #12
RickB

Well, actually, you can, just not for retaining the gun on your person.
Old army manuals described marksmanship practice with the instructor installing a lanyard on the hammer, standing behind the shooter to observe sight alignment as the hammer fell, then jerking the lanyard to re-cock the hammer.

On a different note, I get a chuckle out of commander hammers being called "combat hammers", when 99.9% of 1911s that have seen combat were wearing spur hammers.
Old June 18, 2017, 01:30 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
On a different note, I get a chuckle out of commander hammers being called "combat hammers", when 99.9% of 1911s that have seen combat were wearing spur hammers.
I have the same reaction when I read about modern sights that are called "combat" sights. As if the originals weren't for combat?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. There was a recent discussion over on the M1911.org forum in which someone commented that he had some kind of problem with an extended slide stop, so he chopped off the extension. Someone asked why he didn't just install a standard slide stop, and someone else retorted that an extended slide stop was standard on that model.

Words are supposed to be our medium of communication, but sometimes they seem to do a lousy job of it.
Old June 18, 2017, 08:42 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hammer bite with the 1911 was was reduced a lot with the adoption of the M1911A1 (c. 1927), which has a longer tang on the grip safety and a medium length hammer spur. The worst combination was the old long spur hammer and the short tang, a combination that drew blood from more than one "cruit" in the WWI era.

I suspect that at least part of the reason for the rowel hammer spur in the Commander was the rather stiff recoil of the alloy frame pistol, even in 9mm.

Jim
Old June 19, 2017, 11:59 AM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

Okay, I love this thread. I literally laughed out loud at the lanyard comment.

I like the commander hammer second best. The "combat" hammer is by far my favorite and seems to be on most modern production pistols.
Old June 19, 2017, 12:06 PM   #16
polaris joe

Why would there be any sort of hammer spur on the 1911 if it was intended to be carried cocked and locked ONLY as some claim?
Old June 19, 2017, 12:12 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...since our military did it..." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. The military does everything in a certain way because that's the way they've always done it. The military gets very little say regarding what kit they will be issued too.
Installing a lanyard on the hammer even in training will stop the hammer from falling properly. Assuming the lanyard itself is being used correctly. That as a quasi stock for stabilizing the pistol and the other end looped around one shoulder like a proper cavalry officer would have it. That's how cavalry kept from dropping the thing. The PBI can just pick the thing up. snicker.
The round hammer helps keep the pistol from getting hung up on clothing while drawing and reduces the hammer bite.
Old June 19, 2017, 03:26 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
I like the commander hammer second best. The "combat" hammer is by far my favorite and seems to be on most modern production pistols.
???

What do you consider to be the "combat" hammer? To me, the hammer that was used on the original M1911, and the flat-side version used on the later M1911A1s, both of which saw actual combat with military forces, are what should be referred to as combat hammers, and you don't see those on very many modern 1911s. Certainly not on "most" modern production pistols.
Old June 19, 2017, 07:05 PM   #19
dogtown tom

Quote:
RickB ...On a different note, I get a chuckle out of commander hammers being called "combat hammers", when 99.9% of 1911s that have seen combat were wearing spur hammers.
And I do a belly laugh when someone refers to a ring hammer on a FN Hi Power as a "commander" hammer.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old June 19, 2017, 08:23 PM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

The M1911/A1 was NEVER carried cocked and locked in military service, except possibly during a momentary cease fire or to make the pistol safe while controlling the horse. Other than that, the pistol was always carried with the hammer down and chamber empty. That may seem odd for those whose idea of gun carry was formed by cowboy movies, but war is not a fast-draw contest; when a soldier was going to be involved in close combat, he darned well knew it and the place for the pistol was in his hand, not in a holster.

Jim
Old June 19, 2017, 08:41 PM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris joe
Why would there be any sort of hammer spur on the 1911 if it was intended to be carried cocked and locked ONLY as some claim?
The M1911 wasn't intended to be carried cocked and locked. It was intended to be carried with the hammer down most of the time, and cocked and locked only when enemy action was "imminent."
Old June 19, 2017, 10:23 PM   #22
RickB

It was also intended to be handled with one hand while your other hand handled the horse, but does anyone today argue you can't shoot a 1911 with two hands for that reason?
Old June 20, 2017, 10:18 AM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
What do you consider to be the "combat" hammer? To me, the hammer that was used on the original M1911, and the flat-side version used on the later M1911A1s, both of which saw actual combat with military forces, are what should be referred to as combat hammers, and you don't see those on very many modern 1911s. Certainly not on "most" modern production pistols.
I've seen it marketed as "combat" hammer and "skeletized" as well. This one.

Combat / Skeletized Hammer

Commnder Hammer
Old June 20, 2017, 12:48 PM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
I've seen it marketed as "combat" hammer and "skeletized" as well. This one.

Combat / Skeletized Hammer
I thought you might have that one in mind. It's nothing but a Commander hammer with an elongated hole. Since it has never been used in real combat on any official basis by any country's armed forces, I remain of the opinion that it can't be called a "combat" hammer.
Old June 20, 2017, 01:16 PM   #25
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I thought you might have that one in mind. It's nothing but a Commander hammer with an elongated hole. Since it has never been used in real combat on any official basis by any country's armed forces, I remain of the opinion that it can't be called a "combat" hammer.
Ahh. Okay. Gotcha. Thanks for that. So it's just called a skeletalized hammer then, right?