The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Rickenbacker53

Need some scale advice

I have the Lee CT with Pro Powder dispenser ..I want to upgrade to an Electronic Chargemaster or similar scale. for obvious reasons

I just need the scale right?? Or would the combo Unit be that important..I could see the need on a Single stage maybe..

Please give me your thoughts..

Also right now I am only loading one caliber. I am going to be loading 3 ..I already ordered extra turrets.. How convenient is it to have extra Powder flows hooked up for each caliber.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Rickenbacker53; March 11, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G,day. Your old woman post got locked while I was typing a reply on it. Probably a good thing.
To answer these questions, I think you need to get the most expensive scales with all the extras. You must measure every charge individually and keep the variation to +/- 0.025 of a grain.
You also need to get a thermal imaging camera and monitor the barrel temperature to ensure you get optimum performance from each shot.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Doby45

Quote:
You must measure every charge individually and keep the variation to +/- 0.025 of a grain.
Dude, that is stupid crazy. Are you trying to get the guy killed? If you can't keep your powder charge to a MINIMUM of +/- 0.000013 you need to step back from reloading and consider taking up something not as harmful to your health, like kitten bowling (don't ask).
Old March 11, 2009, 09:26 PM   #4
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day
Quote:
If you can't keep your powder charge to a MINIMUM of +/- 0.000013 you need to step back from reloading

Sorry,My bad.
Old March 11, 2009, 10:09 PM   #5
SL1

Well, I think Rickenbacker53 is getting the message that his "old woman" post had killed any chance he had of getting a serious answer to his question in this post.

Now, I only hope that somebody new to reloading and this forum doesn't take these responses seriously and give up any hopes of reloading.

And, I especially fear for the kittens, now that Skullandcrossbones has let that cat out of the bag, so to speak.

SL1
Old March 11, 2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Inspector3711

I had a Redding beam scale but it was just a slow process. I bought the Lyman 1200 DPS3 with dispenser and scale. This is for my single stage rifle reloading which I wanted to make more efficient. I reload pistol on my Lee progressive so I just check a load periodically on the Lyman system (you can use it just as a scale if you want) to make sure nothing funky is happening.

The benefits to buying the system if you buy the Lyman are as follows.. 1) It weighs charges faster than any other such system. 2) It automatically weighs a charge while I seat a bullet. It keeps up with me and decreases my loading time by a good percentage. 3) It has a 100 load storage capacity so you can store your favorite loads and recall them later. 4) My Redding scale often had creep and zero would change. The new system eliminates that problem. 5) It keeps me from making errors and comes with it's own check weight.

You need to be able to hold +/-.1 grains for optimal consistency and the system does it all day long without a hiccup.

If you can't afford a whole system then just buy a digital scale.

Man these guys have no mercy!

Last edited by Inspector3711; March 11, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old March 11, 2009, 10:24 PM   #7
RamSlammer

Get the Chargemaster if you like, but please just don't ever put powder in it.
Old March 12, 2009, 07:45 AM   #8
robfromga

To be truely accurite your going to need the Lee Particulate Form Function Auto Mass Weight Perfect-Cal Scale Measure System. Or the LPFFAMWSMS for short. A fast call to Lee will have it shipped out right away. The system will give you charges +/- 0.0000004532 to 0.0000007312.

Its how roll mine. I can do 6 rounds every 3hrs with that system
Old March 12, 2009, 08:34 AM   #9
wncchester

I'm scared to answer. As an old woman, I may come across as a "know it all"!

Robfromsc's solution should be okay, if you can accept that casual level of semi-precision powder weighing. I can't keep the Multihexicomplicator in my RCBS combo auto digital powder dispenser/tumbler unit calibrated even that well so I live with a +/- .1 gr. beam scale.

Last edited by wncchester; March 12, 2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:23 AM   #10
ThomasT

Wait a minute. You guys actually WEIGH your powder charges? I think your wasting a lot of time.

I just use the handy dandy powder dispenser that came with my black powder rifle starting kit from Cabelas. It has a scale on the side. You just set the plunger to the amount of powder that the loading manual says to use and fill it to the top. Then scrape off any extra with a credit card and pour it in the case.

Its that easy. Just be sure and use a loading manual. No guessing on charges. Safety is the watchword.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:37 AM   #11
Acenes

Quote:
I only hope that somebody new to reloading and this forum doesn't take these responses seriously and give up any hopes of reloading.
I'm new. No worries about giving up, but kitten bowling has me confused. Are they the ball or the pin?
Old March 13, 2009, 01:48 AM   #12
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day Acenes. Welcome to TFL.

Quote:
kitten bowling has me confused. Are they the ball or the pin?
YES.

It works either way, or even combined. It will be entertaining whichever option you use.

Live kittens work even better.

Please note that no kittens were harmed in posting this thread.
Old March 13, 2009, 05:08 AM   #13
Flipper 56

RCBS 1500 All kidding aside Those beam scales take longer than the cleanup after kitten bowling :barf:
Old March 13, 2009, 01:02 PM   #14
ThomasT

Okay now I will be serious. I don't really use my ML charger for smokeless loads.

I do still use an RCBS 505 scale. When loading rifle powder I use the Lee dippers and pick one that holds just a little under the weight I want to use. Then I use a dribbler for the last few grains. That does fine for the 40-100 rifle loads I might do at one time.

For loading the 223 to shoot in my Mini I use the Lee perfect Powder Dispenser. I use the chart and a calculator to set the chager and adjust it with a scale for the exact weight I want. I don't like the Lee all that much but I will say this. Once it is set it seems to throw the exact same amount every time. The leaking with ball powder bugs the hell out of me.

I can't help with the electronic scale. I have never felt the need for one. I just don't get in a hurry when loading.
Old March 13, 2009, 02:07 PM   #15
CrustyFN

Quote:
Once it is set it seems to throw the exact same amount every time. The leaking with ball powder bugs the hell out of me.
Ratshooter I hear if you run some powdered graphite through the PPM it will get rid of most of the leaking with ball powders.
Rusty
Old March 13, 2009, 02:10 PM   #16
Hunter04

I purchased the rcbs chargemaster combo unit and dont know how i lived without it I highly recommend this unit if you want to upgrade to digital!
Old March 13, 2009, 02:11 PM   #17
ThomasT

Thanks Crusty I'll have to try it. I just got in some 2230 and will most likely be setting up to load a few 223.