The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 8, 2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Ky_Collector

Question about Mosin rifle

I saw a 1924 Finnish Mosin P26 in a local pawn shop. It is not in the best of shape. It has some surface rust, but no major pitting that I could tell. It is also missing the upper handguard. It has some dings on the stock. I was unable to get a pic of it unfortunately. I looked it up while at work and found that they are fairly rare. They had a price of $220 on it. I could take care of the surface rust, but no too sure about getting another upper handguard. With this being the case, would it still be worth picking it up? Can I get an upper for a 91/30 and make it work?
Old December 8, 2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Ky_Collector

I guess what I am asking is would this rifle be rare enough to pick up in less than desirable condition and missing the top handguard for roughly $200 and try to clean up?
Old December 8, 2014, 08:27 PM   #3
ligonierbill

How's the bore? If it's OK, you can't go wrong for $200.
Old December 8, 2014, 10:44 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

If you want to sporterize it, the barrel and action in nice condition would be worth having. For a milsurp, I'd pass on it and put the $220 toward the next complete specimen that comes along. Rust and missing pieces are not worth the Finnish Mosin mystique.
Old December 9, 2014, 01:28 PM   #5
tobnpr

delete
duplicate post
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; December 9, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old December 9, 2014, 01:33 PM   #6
tobnpr

P26...
Re-tubed/relined M91, by the Finns in 1926. About 13,000 barrels went through this process, it would be interesting to see a picture of the muzzle to see the liner used.

The Finns deemed the process unsatisfactory and stopped it in 1927. Should also have an "AV-1" proof (from Arms Depot #1) on the barrel shank.

Need pics...do any of the numbers match?

Price seems high to me, a complete rifle would be in the $250-$350 range even with today's inflated (IMO) prices. Here's one that sold on GB a couple of months ago for $255

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=444931853
Old December 9, 2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Ky_Collector

The one that sold on Gunbroker was in a lot better condition than the one I saw at the pawn shop. Thanks for the replies. I think I will pass on the one at the pawn shop and go after one that is in a lot better shape.
Old December 10, 2014, 08:01 AM   #8
tobnpr

In my experience, pawn shops shoot for the moon with their "sticker" price, and never expect to get that much. They typically have no more than half "into" their merchandise (and usually less). I'd offer them $125 and see what they say if the condition isn't too bad, at that price it still could be completed for a reasonable price.
Old December 25, 2014, 09:06 PM   #9
skizzums

I picked up a beautiful condition m91 last January for 100 even. no original stock, aftermarket ati monte carlo. not sure if that'll help you price yours, but I was trying to sell it for 150$ on the mosin forums about 6 months ago and I didn't have any takers. I am really glad no-one offered to buy, I have sporterized it and it has ended up being an amazing shooter so far and getting better.

in your case with the handgaurd missing and rough cond., I would think your getting over-charged, but I don't know just how desirable the collector market of the p26 is.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/6179340
obviously this gun is in beautiful condition, but for selling at 400$ TEN years ago, there must be some kind of desire for the model out there

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/thr...26-Finnish-M91
this one looks pretty rough and missing the handgaurd, and has a hole drilled in the receiver. maybe your getting a steal