The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 31, 2016, 01:08 AM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have several I'd like to take hunting. Problem is you can only shoot so many critters a year.

You have a couple you swear you're going to use next year, but when hunting season rolls around, you find a couple more have shown up in the gun safe that you just have to try.

Many I have wanted to try but I didn't buy for hunting, like my vintage military rifles. I was planning on using one of my Trapdoor Springfields (50-70 & 45-70) this year but a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM showed up. My pre-64 Model 70 in 'o6 showed up a few years ago is on the list but keeps getting pushed a back.

I built a 416 Rigby in the late 70s that still hasn't gotten it chance. I have 5 different 308s, none of which have been hunting, same with my two Model 70 300 WMs.

Frankly I seriously don't believe I have enough years left to catch up. Even if I stop buying which isn't likely to happen.

But its fun to dream, esp. about using the old surplus rifles.
Another .444 Marlin founds its way home today.

Old July 31, 2016, 07:31 AM   #27
4570Tom

I bought my first centerfire rifle some 32 years ago. I grew up in a family that didn't hunt, but I had a friend who did and my sister married a guy who hunted as well. The rifle was a Ruger 77 in .270 and I shot that thing a lot, but was unsuccessful with it the first 7 years of deer hunting. My friend had a Winchester Model 88 in .308 and I always like that gun, so when I found one on a used rack I bought one. Started using that and I started taking deer. Became intrigued with the Ruger No. 1 in 45-70, got one, and started taking deer with that. The .270 sort of just languished in the corner and eventually I sold it to a new hunter in order to fund some other gun purchase. That new hunter went hunting with us opening weekend...and he took his first deer with it. So 20 years or so after it was initially purchased it finally took a deer, but not by me. Guess it was just waiting for the right person.
Old August 21, 2016, 06:21 PM   #28
FairWarning

While technically not a "hunting rifle", my Schmidt-Rubin K31 has accompanied me on several close range hunts where open sights would suffice, but unfortunately, I've never been in the right place at the right time. Which is a shame, because I am very accurate with it and I have no doubt my vintage Norma 180 gr SPs or modern Hornady 150 gr ballistic tip 7.5mm ammo would do the trick.
Old August 25, 2016, 09:37 AM   #29
Picher

Regarding the "un-blooded" Rem 700 CDL, SS .270 I posted about earlier in this Thread (with picture):

Took it to the Range yesterday and it shot a beautiful 0.35", one-hole, 3-shot group at 100 yards, using a favorite target load consisting of a 90 grain Sierra HP over 48.5 grains of IMR 4895, CCI std. primers, COAL: 3.265".

The load shoots well in any rifle I've tried it in, but this rifle is ready for big game and will hopefully help fill a deer tag this year, using my hotter load consisting of Hornady GMX 130 grain bullets and Reloder 22.