The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 28, 2013, 06:47 PM   #1
IAMDEATH

Ruger 22/45 suppressor

I don't know if this is the right forum for this..I recently purchased a Ruger 22/45 with the threaded barrel and I've been watching videos on YouTube of how well the shoot supressed. Does anyone know of a well made suppresesor that won't break the bank since I also will end up paying the $200 tax stamp fee.
Old October 28, 2013, 11:30 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Silencerco Sparrow.
Well-made & easy to break down for cleaning.
I like mine, average sound reduction of about 36 DB. You can find some slightly quieter, but the Sparrow gets the job done.
Denis
Old October 29, 2013, 12:53 AM   #3
bt380

Guns & Ammo magazine http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/09/2...lencer-review/
-
The front page is of a silencer available in .22lr, .223,.308, 9mm from Sig Sauer. http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...lr-sig-sd.aspx
Old October 29, 2013, 03:22 AM   #4
Theohazard

Considering this is about silencers, it should be in the NFA forum.

I love the Sparrow, but if the primary host is a pistol I'd get a Spectre II. The Sparrow is super-quiet, but the Spectre is slightly quieter (especially on a pistol) and has much less first round pop; that's the main disadvantage of a monocore design like the Sparrow: more first round pop (the first shot is noticeably louder than subsequent shots; this is especially noticeable when shooting the Sparrow on a pistol).

The Sparrow is slightly easier to clean than the Spectre and is shorter (but slightly wider). And considering I've never seen a .22 can that was easier to take apart when dirty, the Sparrow a great can and I would love to have one. But the Spectre is cheaper, almost as easy to take apart and clean, has less first round pop, and is slightly quieter, so I'd choose the Spectre if I could only have one .22 can.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:41 AM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

I know there are other preferences, but that first-round-pop issue has no importance to me.
Not all that much difference.

I like the convenience of the Sparrow & you're not going to get "Hollywood Quiet" anyway.

The Sparrow allows use of the sights & reduces the sound enough to shoot without plugs, which is all I care about.
Does not affect accuracy, velocity, or point of aim.
Denis
Old October 29, 2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpris
Not all that much difference.
To be fair, there IS a difference when it comes to first round pop; the first round out of a Sparrow is noticeably louder than with a baffle-stack can like the Spectre. But the question is: does it matter to the user? Some people don't care about FRP, but some do. And for those who don't care, the Sparrow is a terrific can.

Like I said, I'd love to have one. But I think I'd buy a Spectre first.
Old October 29, 2013, 03:11 PM   #7
weblance

The Sparrows FRP is quickly, and easily done away with, with a short spritz of water from a nasal spray bottle. Sure, it should be mentioned when comparing suppressors, but its a non-issue.
Old October 29, 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
scsov509

The Huntertown Arms Guardian is another great rimfire suppressor to consider with the specific criteria you identified. They are a well constructed can with an exceptionally good warranty at a great price as well.
Old October 29, 2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Crunchy Frog

Innovative Arms Apex rimfire suppressor, MSRP $299 but I got even better pricing from one of their local dealers: http://allenarmstactical.com/rimfire.php
Old October 29, 2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by weblance
The Sparrows FRP is quickly, and easily done away with, with a short spritz of water from a nasal spray bottle. Sure, it should be mentioned when comparing suppressors, but its a non-issue.
Yeah, I know a few people with Sparrows who do that, but most don't care enough to even bother. And I know some people who use that trick on other cans and then put a piece of tape over the end of the suppressor to make it last longer, but that doesn't work well on the Sparrow due to the end cap design.

And I agree that it's a non-issue for many people, but for some people it IS an issue and they don't want to have to bother with the spray; they just want it to be quieter for the first shot. It just comes down to personal preference; for most people it's a non-issue and for some it's an issue.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:34 PM   #11
OcelotZ3

I opted for the Sparrow, for the exact same pistol to start with.

The Sparrow was $250 and I thought that was pretty reasonable.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Coach Z

Another vote for the sparrow, own one and its a great little can.For shooting dirty .22 ammo I don't think you will find a more functional design.

Good luck with whichever you choose but be very careful, they are like pringles. NO ONE gets just one suppressor!
Old October 29, 2013, 11:07 PM   #13
shortwave

Man I wish we could use suppressors here in Ohio.
Old October 30, 2013, 12:19 AM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

Theo,
I didn't say there was NO difference between FRP & subsequent shots, just not all that MUCH difference.

I don't use mine as a spook assassination tool, I just wanted a .22 pistol I can shoot without earplugs.
For me, that FRP has no importance whatever.
For others, it does.

In testing it at Silencerco's sound lab, we tried the water trick. Works, but not worth bothering with, for me.

Denis
Old October 30, 2013, 12:32 AM   #15
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
Theo,
I didn't say there was NO difference between FRP & subsequent shots, just not all that MUCH difference.
Sorry about that.

I've agonized over getting the Sparrow or the Spectre for a while now. I've shot them both a lot, taken each one apart when dirty, and used them on various hosts. I'm currently settled on the Spectre (when I get enough funds), but that could change. It doesn't help that I've played with and taken apart (but not shot) the new Tactical Solutions Axiom and it seems like an excellent design; it's got the great baffle design of the AAC Element 2 and the ease of disassembly of the Sparrow. The problem is that it's new enough that they're aren't many reviews on it yet.

Right now I'm able to postpone my decision because I'm using my Octane 9 for a .22 suppressor; it's quieter than any .22 suppressor on the market but it's also a lot bigger. I need a .22 can.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:20 AM   #16
1DrnkMxR

I agree with Theohazard on the Spectre II, the way it was designed the carbon does not get build up on the inside of the can which makes it easy for the baffles to come out for cleaning. On other cans the build up can be so great you might need a wooden dowel to pound it out if you don't clean it often. JMO
Old October 30, 2013, 12:48 PM   #17
IAMDEATH

I really like the sparrow from everything I've researched now my only problem is finding a dealer to purchase one. The local shops here are not the best at getting things like that. This might be a dumb question but can u purchase directly through manufacturer?
Old October 30, 2013, 01:34 PM   #18
hulley

Here is my Ruger 22/45 Lite with SS Sparrow.

Yes there is a pretty good FRP but not a big deal for me. If you can, get a suppressor with stainless steel insides, should last longer than the typical aluminum cans. BTW thats the difference between a Sparrow and a SS Sparrow, also many of the cheaper cans use aluminum as baffles material which lead corrodes faster.....or so I'm told. I bought my SS Sparrow for $400 plus tax plus NFA tax.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:49 PM   #19
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDEATH
I really like the sparrow from everything I've researched now my only problem is finding a dealer to purchase one. The local shops here are not the best at getting things like that. This might be a dumb question but can u purchase directly through manufacturer?
No, unfortunately you can't. You either have to buy it online and have it shipped to your LGS, or just buy it through a LGS directly. And if you buy it online or have your LGS order it for you, it's going to add on at least three months to your wait; all transfers between manufacturers, distributors, and dealers require a BATFE form called a Form 3, and those were taking about three months before the government shutdown. Now they're delayed even longer thanks to the backlog that built up during the shutdown.

So all this means that if your online shop or your LGS's distributor has a Sparrow all ready to ship, it's still going to take at least three months until your LGS receives it and you can even start your Form 4 paperwork that's taking at least 9 months to come in right now. So if you're looking to get this suppressor as quickly as possible, you have to find a dealer that has one in stock. Make sure they actually have one; lots of shops will act like they do, but then they just add yours to an order, wait a few months until the order is big enough for a bulk discount, then they order a bunch of suppressors from their distributor all at once, which will then take an additional three months to come in thanks to the Form 3 delay.

Also, it's very unlikely you're going to find a current-generation Sparrow for $250 like OcelotZ3 mentioned in Post #11; that's WAY below most dealer's wholesale cost. MSRP is $499.99 and you're usually not going to pay much less than that at most stocking dealers. You can get a better price if you order it online or have a non-stocking dealer add it to a bulk order, but that means you're waiting a LOT longer for it.
Old October 30, 2013, 02:46 PM   #20
IAMDEATH

Thanks a lot theohazard and everyone else for the info you have all helped me make a decision and I appreciate it now just gotta get one cuz it's eating at me to start shooting suppressed.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:24 PM   #21
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortwave
Man I wish we could use suppressors here in Ohio.
Huh? Suppressors are legal in Ohio, and have been for years. As are ALL NFA items.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:52 AM   #22
shortwave

Quote:
Huh? Suppressors are legal in Ohio, and have been for years. As are ALL NFA items
weblance,

Are they legal without having a class three lic. ?

What kind of hoops do we have to jump thru to own them?

Too, do you happen to have any reference on the laws?

I just always thought(apparently ignorantly) that suppressor's were illegal in Ohio and therefore don't know much about them. But would love to get one for a .22 to shoot varmints here at night.

Last edited by shortwave; October 31, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:15 AM   #23
Theohazard

Shortwave: the whole "you need a class 3 license to own a silencer" myth is just that; a myth. Check out my list of common silencer myths over in the NFA forum. It has some of the other info you were looking for as well.
Old October 31, 2013, 10:49 AM   #24
shortwave

Thanks Theo... will do.

And Thank you as well weblance for putting my boots on the right feet.
Old October 31, 2013, 10:59 AM   #25
shortwave

Theohazard

After viewing your post you referred me to, I must say that you did a superb job with the post.
Very informative, well written and a pleasure to read.

Kudo's to ya and...

... Thanks again.