The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 20, 2024, 11:49 AM   #1
100shooter

Springfield 1903 Bolt Help

Hi,
I have a high numbered 1903 Springfield that has a straight bolt handle, headspaceis good. This was replaced at some point during and arsenal rebuild. I would like to know if early bolts are safe to shoot in high numbered actions?
Thanks!
Old April 21, 2024, 09:27 AM   #2
HiBC

I'm not the ultimate authority on Springfields. I could be wrong. I believe the bolts that have the bolt handle"swept back" slightly are good.
Old April 22, 2024, 02:27 AM   #3
radom

My bet is 100 years later it will do OK as it has more rounds tru it than you can afford to shoot now.
Old April 24, 2024, 03:58 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Define "straight", please.

There are many bolt actions with "straight" bolt handles which stick out 90 degrees from the rifle. Many Mausers and others were made that way.

The original 1903 Springfield had a "turned down" bolt handle, and is only considered straight in the fact that it was "straight down" and not "swept back" towards the rear of the rifle.

One thing to remember about the Springfields "risk" is that the "bad" heat treat of the low number rifles did not cause the military to remove them from service.

Today, we assess risk quite differently.
Old April 24, 2024, 04:50 PM   #5
jcj54

Swept bolt handle

The 1903 had a turned downward bolt handle fron the beginning.
When the double heat treat was introduced Springfield used the procedure on both receivers and bolts. To identify bolts with double heat treat the bent the turned down bolt handles slightly rearward about halfway up from the bolt knob. When looking at the rifle directly from the right side it is clearly visible.
The sweep back was not at all related to scope clearance.
The CMP has declared that straight non-backswept handled bolts are unsafe and must not be used in CMP competition.
That is a debate I will not engage in.