The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 4, 2013, 02:32 PM   #26
JerryM

The only time I got stopped (TX) I informed the officers and had no problem. My firearm, a 642, was in a fanny pack on the floor. One officer went back to run my plates. The other officer asked for it, my wife handed it to him, he unloaded it and when he finished he gave me the gun back and said load it before I drove off.

I got a warning. That was about 15 years ago, and the last time I got stopped.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 4, 2013, 03:30 PM   #27
Tinner666

I'm in the camp 'To Inform'. Never had an issue. I just keep my hands visible, inform the officer I;m armed nad tell him "It's 'here' and my wallet is 'here'."

Many ask if I'm planning on shooting them and when I say NO, they generally smile and say to leave it in the holster.

The cops that give people a hard time are the ones that 'discover' the firearm, and the ones that come from states that 'pride' themselves on making weapons arrests, permit of not. This makes the stats look good in places like Chicago when the report is filed even when no charges are filed.

Of course, in Va., I'm sure all officers assume all citizens are armed and base their actions on ours. Smile, they smile. Inform, they're OK. Don't inform and they assume you also have something else to hide.

This from the UTAH BCI site:
Quote:
If I get stopped by a police officer, do I, as a permit holder, have to tell the officer that I have a gun in my possession?

Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.

If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer may assume you are carrying the gun illegally and may take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is recommended to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen.

My LEO son goes into defensive mode if he isn't informed and is relaxed when informed.

Your choice.
Old June 4, 2013, 07:56 PM   #28
mitchntx

Been pulled over twice since receiving my CCL.

Each time I have all windows down, engine dead and hands on the wheel. I let HIM make the contact and then explain I'm a CCL holder and have a weapon either on my person or within my reach.

Each time the officer has asked where it was and I TELL him, not SHOW him.

First time the officer said he thought my side window tint was too dark. I had just purchased the car and he said get it fixed.

Second time the officer pulled me over for 61 in a 55. After the CCL exchange, he told me to watch the speed, but wanted to know what the heck I was driving.

CTS-V, sir.

Is it fast?

It'll do, in a pinch.

laughed and said be careful and let me hear it.

I obliged ...
Old June 5, 2013, 07:31 AM   #29
spacecoast

Quote:
My LEO son goes into defensive mode if he isn't informed
If he isn't informed, how does he know to go into defensive mode?
Old June 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #30
Sport45

The last speeding ticket I got was several years back and in Colorado. (I have a TX drivers license and CHL.) I handed the officer my DL and CHL just like I would in Texas. He just handed the CHL back to me and said I didn't have to give him that.

I mailed the check to pay for the speeding ticket after I got home.
Old June 5, 2013, 02:21 PM   #31
Pahoo

No harm done; .... Right ???

Quote:
I handed the officer my DL and CHL just like I would in Texas. He just handed the CHL back to me and said I didn't have to give him that.
And no harm done. Now, if you had been a "bull-Head" about it and not informed him, who knows what the outcome could have been. ....

Heads-up and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 5, 2013, 02:42 PM   #32
Tinner666

Quote:
If he isn't informed, how does he know to go into defensive mode?
Ooos. I elided part of my post and didn't catch it.

If not informed and he spots it when the driver moves around, or it's visible in the glove box when the driver opens it. These are a couple of examples he mentioned.
Old June 5, 2013, 03:44 PM   #33
southjk

A friend who is a LEO told me that when he checks the computer it is going to show whether you have a permit or not. In TN you are not required to inform but he said it's always a good idea to let them know on the front end because he is going to find out either way and if you haven't told him, he is put on the defensive and suspicion is up. He also said since the drivers license number and carry permit number are the same that I could just hand the permit over when asked for the DL.
Old June 5, 2013, 05:00 PM   #34
Librarian

Quote:
In TN you are not required to inform but he said it's always a good idea to let them know on the front end because he is going to find out either way and if you haven't told him, he is put on the defensive and suspicion is up.
Would you please ask your LEO friend, in his experience, how many 'bad guys' get Tennessee permits?

'Caution' is always appropriate. 'Suspicion' regarding someone who has met those requirements seems odd, to me.

(Also, I cannot pass without noting that ZZ Top has apparently dissolved, as Bill Gibbons is now Commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security.)

The FAQ page is here.
Old June 5, 2013, 05:56 PM   #35
Garycw

My ...renewed... CCW says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
And no harm done. Now, if you had been a "bull-Head" about it and not informed him, who knows what the outcome could have been. ....

Heads-up and;
Be Safe !!!
As mentioned before in Ohio when they run your plate, which is done before they approach you, it comes up that you're a CCL holder. You might as well tell them. Since its required there could be a fine or even lose CCL. For the violation. This may also be implemented in other states that require notification
Old June 6, 2013, 12:50 PM   #36
kevinjmiller

Quote:
A friend who is a LEO told me that when he checks the computer it is going to show whether you have a permit or not.
Again it's state, and I suspect system, dependent too. I've heard that in my state the information is available to officers i, but is "not on the first screen" and "they have to look for it." I don't remember if this is state or local police. For all I know the state and different local police departments may be using different systems (same data) that make permit information more or less visible depending upon the system.

Quote:
he spots it when the driver moves around, or it's visible in the glove box when the driver opens it.
Concealed means concealed. If you think the officer is going to see or find the gun, then inform. I've yet to meet an LEO that likes surprises.
Old June 6, 2013, 01:05 PM   #37
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycw
As mentioned before in Ohio when they run your plate, which is done before they approach you, it comes up that you're a CCL holder. You might as well tell them. Since its required there could be a fine or even lose CCL. For the violation. This may also be implemented in other states that require notification
Out of curiosity, when they run your plate? Or when they run your DL? In Arkansas, your CHCL comes up when they run a DL. Running plates just tells you to whom a car is registered. It doesn't really tell you who's driving.
Old June 6, 2013, 01:08 PM   #38
Pahoo

Do the right thing !!

Ya know, a very important question to ask, is whether or not, the LEO, has a right to know that you are carrying and the sooner, the better. By my measure, the answer is very clear;
ABSOLUTELY !! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 6, 2013, 02:18 PM   #39
Garycw

My ...renewed... CCW says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
Out of curiosity, when they run your plate? Or when they run your DL? In Arkansas, your CHCL comes up when they run a DL. Running plates just tells you to whom a car is registered. It doesn't really tell you who's driving.
I thought it was the plate, as I was told, but it could be the DL or both? It very well could be the DL though since that is what is used when getting CCL. You could always be driving some else's car.
Old June 8, 2013, 12:43 AM   #40
myusername

In my job I interact with LE several times a month. If it's not obvious (sometimes we OC) I always inform them. We usually work with the same officers or constable so they already know. I consider it common courtesy. I like to know who's got a gun around me, I assume they do to. And while I hope it never necessary we may be backing each other up.

I've never been pulled over while armed so I haven't faced a cop as a scofflaw. (I drive so fast they've never been able to catch me. )

Last edited by myusername; June 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old June 8, 2013, 04:21 PM   #41
glh17

My understanding of TN law is that carry permit holders are under no legal obligation to inform. But, the permit number and the driver's license number are the same and the CP will show up when the DL is run.

As a practical matter, what happens if I don't show my CP depends on the individual officer. According to my CP instructor, some officers become very upset and the encounter may become more unpleasant than otherwise. I keep my CP and DL together and will had them to the LEO when stopped.

This is the procedure the instructor recommended. He said definitely don't just say, "I've got a gun."
Old June 8, 2013, 04:51 PM   #42
hermannr

Pahoo: You said:
Quote:
Ya know, a very important question to ask, is whether or not, the LEO, has a right to know that you are carrying and the sooner, the better. By my measure, the answer is very clear;
ABSOLUTELY !!
And what, in your mind, give them a "RIGHT" to know.

the 4A states we have a "Right" to be silent about or private affairs under most circumstances. No?

Now, please explain why my carry has anything to do with any contact with LE that does not involve criminal activity?

I have carried for 43 years, I have never "informed" (other than I usually OC and they can see my carry, no license required in this state) I have never been asked for my CPL, and I have never had anyone attempt to seize my weapon. (I did have one deputy (while on foot) say "nice gun, what is it"

I am of the opinion that if I am armed or not have no more relevance than if I am wearing underwear, or not. The only time it becomes relevant is when the carry is used for defense of myself, or someone else close by (could be a LEo, could be anyone that needs assistance with a dangerous aggressor.
Old June 8, 2013, 07:18 PM   #43
Pahoo

Take a higher road !!!

Quote:
And what, in your mind, give them a "RIGHT" to know
WOW, You are really hung up on Legal Rights and I'm referring to common sense and the Golden Rule. You might just want to take the time and get into that as it will do you more good than your other points of reference. If you want to play guessing games with LEO's as to when and "IF" he is going to ask? Do you really want to keep track of each state's laws to see if you should or should not initiate the show. Go ahead but as for me, it's the right thing to do. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 8, 2013, 08:25 PM   #44
hermannr

If it is state law to inform, I will inform until the law is changed. If it is not state law to inform, I will not inform. If they want to look at my hip, they can see my carry, I do not hide it.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:12 AM   #45
patrickmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glh17
My understanding of TN law is that carry permit holders are under no legal obligation to inform. But, the permit number and the driver's license number are the same and the CP will show up when the DL is run.
That's my understanding, also. If the officer asks, you have to tell them. If they don't ask, they will find out when they run your information. You might as well tell them since they'll find out anyway.

Or even better, drive safely.
Old June 10, 2013, 11:45 AM   #46
csmsss

Quote:
Or even better, drive safely.
"Safe driving" does not necessarily = "driving at or below the speed limit". Frequently on our interstate highway network driving at or below the speed limit creates obstructions to the free flow of traffic and therefore greater chance of vehicle accidents.
Old June 10, 2013, 10:32 PM   #47
ClydeFrog

Contacts with LE officers....

I'd check with your areas LE agency or crime prevention office. They may or may not be aware of the state law changes.
I've seen a few Youtube clips of traffic stops & "field interviews" where the officer or deputy acted in a unprofessional way.

FWIW, a few others show cops who were highly professional & fully versed in the state firearm laws.
In general, Id remain calm, do not use humor or sarcasism, when you provide your DL or ID explain that you have a valid carry license or permit then explain that you have a loaded firearm on you.

If you can video or document the contact to be able clearly show you acted IAW the state law/ordinance & the sworn LE officer can't create a "he said this, I said that" situation. Some troopers & police officers do that in field interviews.
To request a watch commander or patrol supervisor come to the scene may help too.
A incident in the late 1990s/early 2000s in Orange County FL involved a off duty, armed Major from the Miami area having a spat with a Orange County deputy.
The events could have been far better for both sides if they were more mature & respectful.

ClydeFrog
Old June 11, 2013, 01:46 AM   #48
Sport45

Quote:
"Safe driving" does not necessarily = "driving at or below the speed limit". Frequently on our interstate highway network driving at or below the speed limit creates obstructions to the free flow of traffic and therefore greater chance of vehicle accidents.
The latter is common misconception that makes us feel good about speeding.

Has anyone here ever been ticketed for driving the speed limit? That's in good weather of course. We should all know the limit is set as a maximum allowed speed in good driving conditions.

Being a safe driver and obeying the traffic laws remains the best way to avoid having a law enforcement officer ask you for your ID. But even the safest driver can be involved in an accident or happen to be driving a vehicle similar to one that's being sought.
Old June 11, 2013, 10:32 AM   #49
spacecoast

Quote:
And what, in your mind, give them a "RIGHT" to know.

the 4A states we have a "Right" to be silent about or private affairs under most circumstances. No?

Now, please explain why my carry has anything to do with any contact with LE that does not involve criminal activity?
I absolutely agree here with hermanr. To me, volunteering that you have a license and a gun with/on you is the same as volunteering how many guns and how many rounds of ammo you have if an officer happened to knock on your front door while doing an investigation unrelated to you. That is information I would definitely keep to myself without a warrant.

Last edited by spacecoast; June 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old June 11, 2013, 08:57 PM   #50
horselips

Gawd I love Arizona. No permit needed to carry concealed, no duty to inform.