The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 28, 2021, 11:37 AM   #1
ChasHam

Olympics Skeet Shotgun Recoil

I recently watched a half hour of men's and women's Olympics skeet matches. What I wonder about is there seemed to be almost no recoil when firing what looked like 12 gauge over and unders-- most conventional looking, one with a recoil pad that was raised an inch or two. The shooters were average-sized folks.

So do they shoot a reduced load, have a black ops recoil reducing system in the stocks, what?
Old July 28, 2021, 12:25 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

The stocks are fitted to each shooter, recoil seems to be reduced but it is still
there. The shooters can handle the guns recoil better due to the stock fitting.

If a stock fits you better, you shoot better and do not notice recoil as much.
Old July 28, 2021, 12:48 PM   #3
GE-Minigun

Couple things…as mentioned fit, is everything with recoil management with a shotgun, if it doesn’t fit even a reduced load will start to take its toll on you. Also, and I think this might be true…there’s added weight to the guns, some are in the stock and some under the forearm…neither would be visible. Lastly, I think the max payload is 7/8oz…. if that’s the case; some light load. My gun is a hair under 9#, my main load is 3/4oz and I’ve shot 500 rounds of skeet and 5-stand on a couple Saturday’s so far this year with no discomfort whatsoever, but then again, I shoot 12k per year, give or take.
Old July 28, 2021, 12:57 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Just under 7/8 oz at 1,200 fps.

Light load.
Heavy shotguns.
Experience. Lots of experience.
And recoil reducers are not prohibited.
Old July 28, 2021, 03:32 PM   #5
FITASC

Olympic shooters are restricted to a 24 gram load (about 6/7 oz). That said, many also like faster shells, on the order of 1300+ fps. The average skeet gun weighs over 9#
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 28, 2021, 03:37 PM   #6
bladesmith 1

It's just under 7/8 of a ounce. I believe trap and skeet have the same loads. Plus faster targets which means they're harder. Just how do they break anything ? All the American games demand 1 1/8oz of shot - at least that's what many would have you believe. I've been shooting 3/4 and 7/8oz loads for years and never noticed a difference in scores. I do know it's cheaper and a whole lot less recoil.
Old July 28, 2021, 09:23 PM   #7
FITASC

24 grams is .8466 of an ounce or right at 11/13ths. The International targets are 50% faster from the machine, so the rims are made thicker to handle the stress of the launch; ISSF mandates a low gun with the stock on the hip area so one's mount has to be smooth and perfect. There is a random up to 3 second delay and yet folks like Hancock are shooting straights- THAT'S impressive
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 29, 2021, 07:16 AM   #8
ChasHam

Thanks for all the info.

It's been a good number of years since I've actually shot skeet so maybe there has been a lot of improvements in the equipment. But to me, they looked like they were shooting .22LRs, not 12 gauge shotguns :-)
Old July 29, 2021, 07:33 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Fiocchi lists their Trap and Skeet 24 gram loadings at 1350 FPS!
Old July 29, 2021, 08:16 AM   #10
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Just under 7/8 oz at 1,200 fps.

Light load.
Heavy shotguns.
Experience. Lots of experience.
And recoil reducers are not prohibited.
Yep.
Old July 29, 2021, 10:09 AM   #11
Jim Watson

Agree with jaguar, light shot, high velocity to break the tough international targets.

Up late last night, I watched some of the less photogenic events, including Trap.
I was surprised to learn that in the medal round, you don't get two tries at the target, which I thought to be a sie qua non of International Trap. I guess they wanted to get it over with and not have to shoot off ties.