The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 15, 2023, 05:45 PM   #1
RC20

Pietta New Model Army Target

I wanted a BP revolver to play with and did not want to mess up what I think is a bit of a classic in the ASP NMA from 1976.

I went with the target as I wanted to see how accurate I could get balls and conical s and what if any difference.

The Target as noted by others shoots high with the rear sight all the way down. About 15 inches in my case.

I went about it differently than others, I raised the front sight. I need to get it to the range (closed until Jan) and I need more caps (down to 3). But I can do a test as I have the records of the charges and loads prior.

Its funny that the Pietta has a lot in common with the ASP in regards to use of metric threads but the bolt is very different.

The Target also shoots 200 (corrected to 100) FPS slower than the ASP with the same loads. Twist is the same (checked both and cross verified with the Pietra listing).

I am freeing up an old pair of glasses to put my Eyepal(s) on and that allows a big improvement in sight picture.

Another interesting difference is that the Pietta Target has the poor cones people talk about (yes I got the Slixshots) but the ASP cones are decent and snug on a Number 11 CCI or Remington and the Pietta Target they just fall off the cones unless pinched a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0703.JPG (148.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by RC20; December 18, 2023 at 12:13 AM.
Old December 16, 2023, 12:19 PM   #2
Hellgate

Is this the Shooters model or just the regular Pietta NMA with factory added adjustable sights? I believe someone (Pietta or Pedersoli) makes a "shooters model" NMA for competitive target shooting as in the N/SSA competitions.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)

Last edited by Hellgate; December 16, 2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old December 16, 2023, 01:12 PM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Is this the Shooters model or just the regular Pietta NMA with factory added adjustable sights? I believe someone (Pietta or Pedersoli) makes a "shooters mode" NMA for competitive target shooting as in the N/SSA competitions.
The Pietta shooters model doesn't have adjustable sights.
Old December 18, 2023, 12:14 AM   #4
RC20

I correct the 200 fps difference, it was 100 fps. Consistent.

I think Target is off, maybe more hunting.

You can file down the notch but I thought I would try moving the front sight up.
Old December 18, 2023, 03:52 PM   #5
RC20

What is also interesting is the Piettas NMA has the same twist rate as the ASP

I have modified the end of the ram so it seats conical s and round and I have conical s I am testing with.

I am going to get setup with my Eyepals with my old glasses and that will give a better sight picture. Not perfect but a lot better.

I got a box of Pyrex Pellets to play with that would not fire reliably in the ASP and will try those in the Pietta NMA. When they did fire they were a bit too zippy at over 1000 fps.

I finally got caps at a LGS and good to go.