The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 16, 2018, 03:22 PM   #1
StainedClassKing

Anybody my size carry a small double stack IWB?

I'm new to the whole concealed carry thing, and I'm just curious as to what people here gravitate towards. I'm 5'9" 1/2 and about 160. Ideally, I'd lean towards something that's the ultimate balance between conceal-ability, capacity, and ease of shooting, just like every other newbie. I lean towards some kind of M&P or P320 in 9mm, but I'm curious about what size/frame I should be going for.

Typically for work I wear a polo untucked, and typically off the clock I prefer t-shirts. Here in Arizona, I wear shorts quite often, but jeans during colder weather. I don't go for super tight or baggy pants/shorts, opting to stay at a reasonable middle. Generally, I'm leaning towards IWB because it seems easier for me, considering I almost never wear outerwear unless it's really cold (at least by AZ standards).

So just out of curiosity, for those of you around my size, what do you carry? Is a double stack too thick to conceal comfortably?
Old March 16, 2018, 04:07 PM   #2
TailGator

You are a little bit leaner than me, but I am of a similar size and I most commonly carry a Glock 26 IWB.

But that is me. Different people come to different conclusions about what the "ultimate balance" is, and there are pistols out there for every choice. I don't have a problem carrying and concealing a double stack, but some people think it is a pain. Capacity versus concealment is an individual choice for you to make.

The best thing you can do for yourself is try some stuff out - a friendly gun store, people you know, rentals, however you get it done, you need to see what some different pistols feel like when you wear them. I have gone so far as to loan a friend a pistol and holster for a week for him to see how he liked it.
Old March 16, 2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

My size wouldn't relate much. 6'3 and tippin' three and a half. But one thing I carry always, if I have another gun on me or not, is a Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. However I do also often carry a Springfield XD40 Sub Compact IWB. Even with the extended mag it isn't hard to conceal. One thing I have learned over the years. Nobody really even notices if your gun is "printing" a little. They aren't looking for it, and if they see some kind of bump or bulge, most don't have a clue what it is.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 16, 2018, 05:28 PM   #4
Fla_dogman

Yep, mod 2 3.0 9mm

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old March 16, 2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Dragline45

I’m 5’9 180 and while I can conceal a short gripped double stack, its neither as concealable or comfortable as my Shield 9mm which currently resides in my waistband. Remember the gun is only part of it, holster adds thickness too. I’m comfortable with 8rds of 9mm in my carry gun and shoot my shield damn near as well as a full size so it works for me.

Side note, I have carried by my count about 25 different guns from every type of auto of every size, to revolvers of everysize and as of the last 4 years or so I settled on the Shield and havent looked back since. YMMV

Last edited by Dragline45; March 16, 2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old March 16, 2018, 05:49 PM   #6
Uncle Malice

Fellow AZ'er here. My best friend is about your size and carried a Glock 19 almost every day. He has also carried the HK P2000 for a few years (moved to the G19 around 2013).

The M&P Compact should be no problem for you, especially if you go with a Gen 1.
Old March 16, 2018, 06:08 PM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

The Hi-Power is about the perfect size for a full-sized concealed carry pistol. Thin through the frame and grip. Grip not so long that it pokes out in back. Slide short enough for a quick presentation while still giving a good sight radius.

In modern pistols, the Glock 19 and S&W M&P 2.0 are both close in size; but a bit thicker through the slide due to modern manufacturing techniques. As modular as the P320 is, I imagine it can be made to work also. If money is no object, STI’s Costa Carry 2011 is pretty amazing but expensive to purchase and shoot heavy.
Old March 16, 2018, 06:56 PM   #8
Mackie244Bud

Let's face it...At any size the M&P Shields are always a nice carry.

There is a new Big Little boy on the block and that is the Sig Sauer P365.
12+1 / for a maximum available 13 rounds in the same size as the M&P Shields 9mm which has a possible 8+1 for 9 rounds.
The thought of 4 extra rounds in the same size carry has people a buzz.
Thew P365 ships with two 10 round magazines...The 12 round mag is extra.

As a caveat for the new Sig P365 it was out...then Sig stopped shipping to make a few modifications and add Sig X-Ray sights.
It's all documented here, you tube, everywhere,
So far on all of the you tube reviews the newer P365 is working flawlessly.

I am keeping a close eye on it as a replacement to my M&P Shield.

I also have the Sig Sauer P320 Compact RX with Sig's Romeo Red Dot.
I carry my P320 in a IWB Vedder holster.
Vedder made a cutout in the Kydex for the Red Dot.
It's a nice carry but of course larger than my Shield.

When I forgot my Shield holster at my sisters, I could drop my Shield into my my Wrangler jeans and shorts pocket without a problem.
My Sig would never do that.

You are on a search in which many have preceded you.
Good luck because the Options / Combo's available are a lot!

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; March 16, 2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old March 16, 2018, 07:51 PM   #9
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
There is a new Big Little boy on the block and that is the Sig Sauer P365.
12+1 / for a maximum available 13 rounds in the same size as the M&P Shields 9mm which has a possible 8+1 for 9 rounds.
The thought of 4 extra rounds in the same size carry has people a buzz.
You can't get something for nothing. The Shield with magguts is maxed out, so the sig 365 has to be getting that extra space somehow. It can't physically be exactly the same grip dimensions. Would love to see actual side by side measurements of the grip circumferance to see how they are packing in those extra rounds? With the 7 round flush magazine and the magguts, I'm getting 8 plus 1, so four more rounds in the same space?
IMPOSSIBLE!
Old March 16, 2018, 08:08 PM   #10
Coloradohtr

I'm 5'9" and 210lbs and carry an HK p30sk in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 at 4 o'clock on my right side. I carry a 10rd magazine +1 in the gun and a 15rd p30/VP9 magazine in a magazine pouch on my left side. The p30sk is a little bigger than a Glock 26 and it conceals nicely with an extra large shirt. Before I got the p30sk I've carried a commander length 1911 and a fullsized HK USP 40S&W in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck and they hid nicely too. Some days I even carry an HK45C Tactical. You can conceal just about anything with the right holster. I see alot of people carrying with a cheap holster. Do yourself a favor and get a nice holster and a nice thick heavy duty belt for your nice gun. Do not skimp on the holster and a cheap belt. Carry what your comfortable with and what you shoot well. It may take a few different holsters to find out what you like for sure. I know I went through at least 7 holsters before I found the right one. You may also need to wear maybe a size bigger in the waist pants. Taylor your clothing around the gun with a good belt and holster and you'll be fine.
Old March 16, 2018, 08:29 PM   #11
Targa

I am not huge but not small at 6', 210. I carried a Glock 26 and although it carried well a single stack carried much better for me so that's what I went with.
Old March 16, 2018, 08:35 PM   #12
skfullen

I'm 6'6","and 300lbs. I carry a G42, or a PPK, in an IWB holster SOB. It's mainly due to the discretion required by my workplace and the dress code by which I must abide. I've also been known to carry a JFrame with a Barami HipGrip. Thicker guns are not comfortable for me IWB, due to my spillage over the belt while sitting.

When I can go with my shirt untucked, I often carry a Beretta 92 OWB on my strong side.

Carry what makes you comfortable.
Old March 16, 2018, 11:10 PM   #13
Mackie244Bud

HighValleyRanch asks,

Quote:
You can't get something for nothing. The Shield with magguts is maxed out, so the sig 365 has to be getting that extra space somehow. It can't physically be exactly the same grip dimensions. Would love to see actual side by side measurements of the grip circumferance to see how they are packing in those extra rounds? With the 7 round flush magazine and the magguts, I'm getting 8 plus 1, so four more rounds in the same space?
IMPOSSIBLE!
Ask and you shall receive...

Here is the dimension differences between a M&P Shield vs a Sig Sauer P365

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGZGOfa2l-4

P365 Review with new X-Ray Sights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-tT7hC9G0

P365 1,000 round review:
Also shows the 12 round magazine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApIO5Z0kzbo

Hickok45 Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29qgsP9B-E

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; March 16, 2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old March 17, 2018, 09:50 PM   #14
jreXD9

5'8" and 195 and I carry a Mod 2 .45 IWB in a Clinger holster. It carries all day easily.
Old March 17, 2018, 11:15 PM   #15
ammo.crafter

CCW choice

5'8" @ 170...

I, too, find the Hi-Power a great CCW in an IWB rig.

My number 2 CCW is a Walther PP in 380...extremely concealable and easy coming out of the holster.

As others have mentioned, try on as many guns as you possibly can so that you can narrow down you preferences.

Let us know what you found to be perfect for you.

Do not scrimp on the belt, it does make a difference.
Old March 18, 2018, 03:18 AM   #16
Cosmodragoon

I've seen people carry all sorts of things IWB. In my experience, thin is king inside the waist. You'll also have to gauge what works with your current pants size versus having to go up a size. As far as balancing concealment with ease (or fun) of shooting, I think the Shield and PPS are both excellent choices in 9mm. The latter is nicer and a little more versatile in my opinion but it really comes down to what feels best for you.
Old March 18, 2018, 05:05 AM   #17
Mackie244Bud

Here is the Walther PPS M2 vs M&P Shield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sETZ_5c2u4

Magazines shipped with gun:

M&P Shield M2.0 / Mags: One 7 round & one 8 Round extended grip Mag

PPS M2 / Mags: One 6 round & one 7 round extended grip Mag
An 8 round Mag for the LE version / 8 round Mag is extra
The previous PPS Magazines do not fit into the new PPS M2.

PPS M2 LE comes with one 6 round / one 7 round and one 8 round Magazine

The PPS M2 RMSC ships with a Red Dot.

P365 / Mags: two 10 round Mags - A 12 round magazine is available.

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; March 18, 2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old March 18, 2018, 05:23 AM   #18
Carl the Floor Walker

I normally Hate IWB, I normally carry the Pico and the LCR in a clipdraw. For 6 months or more have been looking or a New single stack 9mm to replace my LC9S. Finally found the prefect gun for me. Now wish I had bought it years ago. The Nano. I had looked at the Kahr, Shield, and others. Shot most of them. The Nano fit the bill in all my areas of size, shootablility, etc. Just ordered a clipdraw or it.
Yesterday, ran another 100 rounds of Mixed ammo through it, now making 600 flawless rounds since last month when it arrived. About 6 or 7 types of ammo, 124 gr. 115 and 147. Mild, shooter, love the trigger, little muzzle flip. Love the snag free design. Take down is a breeze.
Each person will have their own choices, Just like a pair of shoes. This gun fits me perfect. Both the Nano and Shield are great guns.
It will be up to the Individual to pick out the right fit.

Surprisingly the LCR9mm rides very well IWB with a clipdraw.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; March 18, 2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old March 18, 2018, 05:54 AM   #19
Mackie244Bud

You know I think that we all have lost thought of the OP question:
Quote:
Anybody my size carry a small double stack IWB?
For me the answer is..Yes but I am not your size.
I am 5'9" 240 lbs.
But at my size I carry a Sig Sauer P320 Compact RX in a Vedder IWB holster.
Though my P320 is not my Everyday Carry...My M&P Shield 9 is.

I live in South Florida so it depends on what my day has ahead, as to which I carry.
If I have a very active day that includes (I am a X-Ray Equipment Svc Engineer) carrying, bending, stooping, on my knees etc..
Then I carry my lighter single stack..M&P Shield.
If the day is a normal walk around / drive around with looser clothing I carry my P320.

Obviously they both (for me) have their place.
My P320 Double Stack does have it's additional weight over my Shield.

I am seriously looking at the new P365 at 12 + 1 (13) rounds compared to my P320 at 15 +1 (16) rounds.
The P365 is the size of my Shield yet adds 4 rounds of 9mm.
Lighter with 3 rounds from my P320.

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; March 18, 2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old March 18, 2018, 06:50 AM   #20
OhioGuy

It's a divisive issue ("you'll blow off yer junk!") but AIWB does amazing things for concealment, with the right holster. I'm 5'10" and 180 lb. I'm guessing you're probably slimmer than I am, and I'm only just slightly "un-slim"

I carried an XD Mod.2 subcompact for a while. I actually sized UP to a CZ P-07. The keys are:

1. Get a dedicated AIWB holster. I got mine from JM Custom Kydex. It must have a "claw" and a "wedge," the former rides under the belt and rotates the grip into your body, the latter tilts the muzzle away from your leg and the whole gun into your body. It's a snug fit but it takes a G19 sized gun from "giant gun-shaped lump" to "small nebulous lump that someone would only see, maybe, if staring directly at your crotch.

2. Wear it at 12:30 or at most 1:00 position. Now the longer muzzle has somewhere to ride, and it won't jam into your leg when you bend or sit. This is really where the wedge comes in, because without it, the grip of the gun tends to flop out over your belt.

3. Wear a shirt that isn't terribly clingy and you're pretty much set.

Last consideration is the length of your shirt, since carrying up front tends to pull your belt down a bit and something could show if you reach up over your head.

As you can imagine, a single-stack disappears even better.

In this configuration the difference in grip length between something like a G26 and G19 doesn't matter at all.

I can't comment on other carry positions but I know the Clinger Holsters "No Print Wonder" gets good reviews for great concealment in the 3-5:00 position.

If you definitely need something that's more compact, there's tons of good options now including the ever-present G26, the new PPQ M2 Subcompact, H&K VP9sk (and P30sk) as well as the first-gen M&P compact, Ruger American Compact, etc. They all do the same thing when you pull the trigger
Old March 18, 2018, 07:55 AM   #21
adamBomb

I am pretty much near your size (5'11/165). Here is my experience of the last 13 years of CCW or so...

Here is where I started. I can kind of conceal a glock 19/MP2.0 IWB at 1 and 2 oclock. But I need a sweatshirt. Cant do it in a tshirt or polo...at least not well enough to do it daily. I guess I would get by with a polo if I wasn't really moving around much because each time I get up I feel I need to adjust it because of that grip. Its just not a comfortable experience and I was quickly turned off to CCW because this was the first sized gun I tried to do it with.

Then I moved onto a smaller gun. I can easily conceal a glock 26/HKp30sk anywhere IWB. The grip is what makes the most difference for me so the shorter grip allows me to carry a gun this size with ease. But again, it was never super comfortable so I found that I just wasn't carrying for daily use, only when I 'felt' I needed it. But this was a huge difference compared to the larger grip sized guns (g19).

Then I moved on again. I can conceal an MP Shield like cake IWB because it has both a short grip and is super thin. But I started to realize that IWB carry was somewhat of a chore and I always wondered about the pockets guns, especially because they had about as many rounds as the shield and .380 has come a long way lately, so I decided to get the MP Bodyguard to see...

I can conceal the MP bodyguard easier than I can conceal my wallet. This is my everyday carry gun now. So easy to pocket carry, IWB carry, etc. You don't even know its there. Honestly carrying a gun used to be a chore. Now its as easy as bringing my wallet or cell phone. It even fits in my boardshorts.

My advice, first see how you want to carry. I mean really think it through. Don't buy something that you aren't sure of and have to buy again and again like I did (though I do collect guns so I don't mind haha). Then go from there. Go to gun shops and try on different holsters with the guns you may want to buy. My LGS always lets me try to see what fits. I really wanted to IWB carry and do it on occasion when I want something bigger but pocket carry is 10x more convenient for day to day use. I can wear tshirts, etc without worry and can easily pocket carry in shorts. Its just so easy. I am actually in the market for a new double stack with more rounds but its going to be something I carry <5% of the time. I have seen guys comfortably carry full size guns and then there are guys like me that just end up not carrying unless its easy. Just depends what you want. No one can tell you what is best for you, you just need to get out there and try it.

Last edited by adamBomb; March 18, 2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old March 18, 2018, 08:09 PM   #22
jetinteriorguy

Taurus PT111 G2.
Old March 18, 2018, 11:24 PM   #23
HistoryJunky

I'm your size and I carry a CZ P07 every day. It's G19 size. I would like to have a G26 size P07 but CZ has not delivered.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old March 19, 2018, 01:03 AM   #24
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I can conceal the MP bodyguard easier than I can conceal my wallet. This is my everyday carry gun now. So easy to pocket carry, IWB carry, etc. You don't even know its there...
I carried the Bodyguard in a leather IWB holster from DeSantis for about a year. It really is that comfortable to wear. It felt good in hand for such a small gun too. The problem is that it was remarkably hard to use well. The trigger just (expletive deleted). The Bodyguard wasn't the most reliable gun I've owned and the laser was too awkward to use for anything but training, but it was the trigger that retired it from carry. Why did it have to be so terrible?

These days, I pocket carry an LCR when I'm not wearing a cover garment. It rides well in a pocket holster and is actually a joy to shoot in .38 special or .327 Federal. It was interesting to see Carl the Floor Walker carrying one IWB. Never heard of "clipdraw" before.
Old March 19, 2018, 06:44 AM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

We're all looking for the ultimate balance of concealability, capacity, caliber, etc. I'm a bit larger than the OP, being 6' and ~240, but IWB has been my main carry method for around 8 years now. My primary carry pistol for about the past 4 years has been a G19, but I've mostly switched over to a Shield. Either one is concealable with a polo shirt & cargo shorts, but the Shield gets the edge in ease of carry. So, no, double stacks are not too big to comfortably conceal IWB. I have absolutely zero experience with the P320, but of the pistols you mentioned ("I lean towards some kind of M&P or P320 in 9mm. . . . "), it certainly offers you more flexibility than an M&P. Its modular design would allow you to use a smaller frame for concealed carry, and a larger one for range fun.

Since you're new to concealed carry, let me make a couple of suggestions. First, don't skimp on your belt. Get a proper gun belt designed for concealed carry. A good belt makes a tremendous difference in carrying & you'll be able to use it even if you switch guns. Second, my favorite IWB is the StealthGear revolution. Stealthgear makes a few different holsters and they have ventilated backings. I had a Crossbreed Supertuck that I carried in for years. It was an an outstanding holster, but those ventilated backings that SG uses make a big difference in hot weather.