The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 30, 2023, 04:08 PM   #1
Nathan

2022-2023 Cap & Ball Revolver Shipping

In 2024, what is the right way to ship a cap & ball revolver to a buyer? USPS? UPS? FEDEX?

I think I’m mostly concerned about running afoul of federal laws , but state & local matter too.

If you did it, how did you do it? Did the shipping company know what they were handling?
Old December 31, 2023, 09:47 AM   #2
Wag

I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. The seller just shipped it USPS. I have no idea if he had to make any special declarations upon shipping. He did flag it as "adult signature required."

When it arrived, it was "field stripped" and didn't really resemble a gun in any way.

Rules seem to be changing every now and then but Google is your friend, to be sure.

Here's a link that Google served up from this forum, although it's from 2011.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=461005

--Wag--
Old December 31, 2023, 10:56 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

USPS, registered (for safety).
Old January 2, 2024, 06:37 AM   #4
Nathan

Is this still true. The Postal regs were leading me to believe a dealer must ship, but of course they are not clear.
Old January 2, 2024, 08:17 PM   #5
Old No7

Check this for yourself to confirm, but...

Cap N Ball revolvers are not "firearms" under Federal law -- as designed (just don't put a centerfire cylinder adapter into it -- as then it is).

When selling BP Revolvers in the past, I always looked at Cabela's or Midway websites, and if they didn't sell to those certain states (to comply with State laws) -- then I'd advertise the gun that way ("No shipping to States that C or M will not ship to".)

I do like the idea of breaking it down and packing well in a smaller un-gun-like box; and then it's shipped as "machine parts" with adult signature required.

Old No7
Old January 3, 2024, 11:01 PM   #6
Nathan

Looks like in 27 CFR 478.11 Meaning of Terms:

Quote:
Antique firearm.
(a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
I’m thinking this means a cap and ball is an “antique firearm.”

Quote:
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.
The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]
Looks like I need to go through FFL to ship.

Quote:
Is a NICS background check required for the transfer of antique firearms?

No. Because weapons that meet the definition of an “antique firearm” are not firearms subject to the Gun Control Act, licensees need not conduct a background check when transferring an antique firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3), 921(a)(16), 922(t); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.102]
So an FFL just ships to an individual?

Am I reading this right or missing some detail?
Old January 4, 2024, 09:28 AM   #7
ligonierbill

Regards Federal Regulations and the USPS (unless there has been a recent change), cap-and-ball revolvers can be shipped direct. Last year, I received a LeMat from a guy in Brooklyn! However, some states add requirements. In New Jersey, for example, they consider muzzleloaders, etc. firearms. A few years ago, a college professor was arrested for possession of an early 18th century Queen Anne pistol. The DA dropped the charge, but not without a lot of fuss and trouble. If you're concerned, just find a FFL who will, for a fee, make the shipment for you. He can use a priority mail fixed price box, the cheapest way to go. The FFL will probably only ship to another FFL to minimize his risk.
Old January 4, 2024, 09:13 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Looks like in 27 CFR 478.11 Meaning of Terms:

Quote:
Antique firearm.
(a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
I’m thinking this means a cap and ball is an “antique firearm.”
Cap and ball is percussion cap.
Jeepaholic
Old January 7, 2024, 12:12 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Looks like pre-1898 design metallic cartridge firearms chambered for commercially obsolete cartridges could go direct, too. I'm thinking of something like a replica Sharps rifle in 45-24/10 (45-90) or 4-2⅞ (45-110) or something similar would also pass.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 7, 2024, 12:34 PM   #10
Nathan

I think the key is from a USPS point of view, they are now requiring a dealer to ship that cap & ball revolver.

From UPS and FedEx they have through policy mandated this be shipped air.

At the end of the day, we have the Feds working with private industry block legal interstate movement of guns by unlicensed individuals. Isn’t there something in our system of laws that prevents government from block legal actions? I wonder what they have threatethese shippers with??

This is almost as bad as when the Feds got S&W to put locks on their revolvers. They had to develop those locks, an action to take it and lower costs drastically in the receding revolver market. Fortunately, the finances worked with the engineering to add a crappy lock, cheapen the internals, eliminate fitting, reduce quality and stick the customer with the result.