The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 31, 2015, 01:22 PM   #1251
psyfly

Well, here's a vote for Ruger "printing off" a few more of the three-inch models, which is what I missed the first time around and now want.

Or, maybe, this new one will help mitigate the insane prices people are asking for the threes and I can find me one.
Old March 31, 2015, 02:36 PM   #1252
alaskabushman

Quote:
I personally think that you may be testing the "upper limits" of the cartridge. I truly believe that whitetail deer would/should be the maximum size quarry suitable for the round.
I fully intend on hunting some SItka Blacktail this fall with mine, but these are typically small compact deer. I agree that whitetails might be on the large size.
Old March 31, 2015, 10:59 PM   #1253
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I fully intend on hunting some SItka Blacktail this fall with mine, but these are typically small compact deer. I agree that whitetails might be on the large size.
While your application is more fitting for the cartridge....

I didn't feel terribly handicapped when I went on a "last ditch" trip to try to fill my Mule Deer tag last year. Since my odds were already low, and time limited, I decided that variety and fun factor trumped tradition (bolt action rifles).
Firearms: .327 Federal GP100. 5.56x45mm AR pistol. 20 ga bolt action shotgun.

I forgot (suitable) ammo for the AR, and only had 2 rounds for the shotgun.

If my wife hadn't decided to go into heart failure and call me at the worst possible time (yea... like heart failure can be "better"? ) ... I would have plugged a decent sized 4-point with the GP100 at about 25 yards - maybe less.
The deer crossed right in front of me as I was looking down to answer the phone. And I was even out of the truck and chasing the buck, before I realized what my wife was saying.
Old April 1, 2015, 12:35 AM   #1254
Cosmodragoon

Forgive me if it came up a thousand posts ago but I'd be curious to hear what kind of game people have taken, especially with the 4" barrel.
Old April 1, 2015, 03:53 AM   #1255
A pause for the COZ

Thats going to be a hard question to get answered. Mainly because of how the 327magnum was originally marketed.
Most of the 1st run 327's were chambered for short barreled revolvers.
2 or 3 inches.
The only 1st run 4 inch revolver I know of was the Charter Target Bull Dog that came with a 4 inch barrel.
That was a nice gun too. It was certainly on my to get list, but charter quit making them before I got the money saved.

Manufactures are just only now, ( with prodding) starting to see where the true market for the 327 is.

I am not sure what barrel lengths the Black hawk was made in. I suspect 5.5"
Guys that have them maybe can give you some details on game size.
Since the Single 7 we are now starting to see some work done hunting wise.
But with that gun the cylinder size is a limiting factor to creating the best hunting loads for larger game.

I suspect the top game size would be white tail deer. But I dont think any one of us are planning on trying it. Usually we have multiple choices and might choose a higher caliber.

So if my plans are any indication small to light med game for me.
As a matter of fact, that is what I use mine for. Head shots on Mr Rabbit are no problem. I stalk with 3 different loads in the gun. 32L, 32Mag and 327 mag.
I turn the cylinder to the appropriate load depending on range.
When I get out of Range for the 327. I shoulder my 32-20 rifle.
Fun package until I get my 327 carbine.

One of these days I will learn how to hunt Coyotes. We have them here, I hear them every night. But it is the rare hunter that actually gets one let alone see's one.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; April 1, 2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old April 1, 2015, 07:31 AM   #1256
Real Gun

Quote:
Forgive me if it came up a thousand posts ago but I'd be curious to hear what kind of game people have taken, especially with the 4" barrel.
Are we still trying to justify the caliber with questions like that? How could anyone answer, when no one yet owns this new barrel length? When was the caliber ever offered in a barrel length suitable for hunting, before the recent arrival of the longer barreled Ruger Single Sevens? Personally, I don't hunt with any of my guns, but I do know how and would, if in a survival mode.
Old April 1, 2015, 08:34 AM   #1257
Low Friction

"Hammer It" has a S&W 16-4 re-chambered to 327. He has some posts here with his 6" bbl 327 hunting exploits. But Ruger did produce the 4.2" GP100 and the 5.5" Blackhawk in 327.

But yeah don't see much about 327 hunting. I'm sure their out there but actual accounts are pretty thin these days.
Old April 1, 2015, 10:53 AM   #1258
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Are we still trying to justify the caliber with questions like that? How could anyone answer, when no one yet owns this new barrel length? When was the caliber ever offered in a barrel length suitable for hunting, before the recent arrival of the longer barreled Ruger Single Sevens? Personally, I don't hunt with any of my guns, but I do know how and would, if in a survival mode.
Ehhh?

The Blackhawk was only offered with a 5.5" barrel. (First production run in ~2009.)
The GP100 was only offered with a 4.2" barrel. (First production run in ~2010.)

Neither of the 'longer' barrel lengths (5.5" on the Single Seven and 4.2" on the new SP101) is anything new.

In fact, I own both of the 'originals'.
Old April 1, 2015, 02:31 PM   #1259
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Who is trying to "justify the caliber" here? I asked a legitimate question: whether and what anyone has hunted with this caliber, preferably with the 4" barrel. If you bothered to look, you'd see that FrankenMauser discussed hunting plans with his 4" GP100 a few posts up, which were sadly cut short by circumstances beyond his control. That gun has been out for a while. I don't know how many thousands of people have one, or how many of those are active on this forum. As others pointed out, there was also a longer-barreled Blackhawk that people might have. If anyone has a constructive answer, I'd be happy to read it.
Old April 1, 2015, 05:17 PM   #1260
dahermit

Quote:
If you're going to do any "heavy hitting" with the .327 Federal Magnum, your best bet will be to max out somewhere between a 120-135 grain hard cast lead bullet.

I personally think that you may be testing the "upper limits" of the cartridge. I truly believe that whitetail deer would/should be the maximum size quarry suitable for the round.
Then is if fair to say that the .327 Federal Magnum is not quite up to the task of defensive carry also? It seems that if the cartridge is marginal for deer, it would also be marginal for human targets...or am I missing something?
Old April 1, 2015, 05:31 PM   #1261
CaptainO

No sir, I'm trying to express that you would not be served well by using the round to hunt boar. The heavy gristle layers of the beast would prevent adequate penetration.

Scott
Old April 1, 2015, 05:32 PM   #1262
A pause for the COZ

Yea your missing some thing.
Hunting and SD are two different animals. If I have a Ruger Red Hawk in 44 mag. I may choose that to hunt with, but sure wont be my CC weapon.

Today I just loaded up some SD ammo for my 327. 100 gr XTP's ahead of 13.6gr of Lil Gun w/ Small Rifle Primers.
I ran them across the Chronograph.
1426fps from my Single 7 and 1350 fps from my 2.5 inch Taurus.

1350 fps from a 100gr HP is more than serviceable for CC duties. Plus plus It is in a package with manageable recoil.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; April 1, 2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old April 1, 2015, 05:37 PM   #1263
CaptainO

"1350 fps from a 100gr HP is more than serviceable for CC duties".

Yep, that'll 'accomplish the task at hand'.

Scott
Old April 1, 2015, 05:41 PM   #1264
Dain Bramage

I would say the differences are rooted in the requirements for deer vs. defence encounters, which don't strictly equate to a pound to pound comparison.

"Humane" deer regulations basically boil down to reducing suffering to a short time frame following an average hunting shot, probably a double-lung penetration at extended range.

The Human defence ideal is the immediate stop, which only comes from a CNS hit, structural damage (major bones), or a psychological stop, usually at short range.

IMHO, people accept a wider variety of cartridge/gun combinations for the latter than we do for the former.
Old April 1, 2015, 05:59 PM   #1265
A pause for the COZ

Yea its pretty amazing once you think about it. There is a huge difference between the 32 mag and the 327Mag.
Its what this caliber has needed for a long time.
32L were in the 7-800 range then they came out with the 32 mag in the 9-1000 range. The 327 blows the doors off of them.
Takes the 32 to a whole other level of performance.

Thing is my Ruger would take more. That LilGun load is mid range.
Might be at the top for a Taurus though. Dont want to push it too hard.
Old April 1, 2015, 10:41 PM   #1266
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
IMHO, people accept a wider variety of cartridge/gun combinations for the latter than we do for the former.
Probably has a lot to do with the understanding that carrying a gun all your life with a high probability of never having to fire it is hugely different from taking a gun on a relatively short outing where firing it is the main purpose and quite likely to occur.
Old April 1, 2015, 10:55 PM   #1267
Model12Win

Hello friends!

I'm researching the .327 Fed Mag in anticipation for the newly released SP101 .327 with 4.2" bbl, which I plan to make my EDC and possible home defense handgun.

Does anyone have any data on the defensive hollow point .327 magnum loads from a 4" or so barrel length? Any ballistics gelatin tests on the Speer Gold Dot or Federal defensive hollow points?
Old April 2, 2015, 12:26 AM   #1268
Cosmodragoon

Model12Win, I wish there was more data available. I just spent a few minutes searching, and this was the best I could find. While he mentions the SP101 and gives 3.1" as a barrel length in his gel data, his caliber comparison graph lists data for a 2" barrel. Looking at the Ballistics by the Inch page, you can see that the extra inch between 3" and 4" is significant and only less dramatic than the jump from 2" to 3".
Old April 2, 2015, 01:20 PM   #1269
Dain Bramage

Quote:
..high probability of never having to fire it..
I agree. "Frequent" and "infrequent" should be added to my qualifiers, which also affects carry size of guns people are willing to tote for each task.

It's just another example of why deer and defense gun comparisons are not served by comparing weights of the living organisms.
Old April 6, 2015, 12:22 PM   #1270
psyfly

Gold Dot @ $.50/round

Good deal?
Old April 6, 2015, 03:47 PM   #1271
Super Sneaky Steve

$.50 for a loaded cartridge is a good deal. Just for the bullet no.
Old April 6, 2015, 03:54 PM   #1272
Magnum Wheel Man

not too far off topic... looking for a better way to carry back up ammo... I have a couple speed loaders for my lil J frame in 32 H&R, but they are pretty bulky... I looked at strips, for the 32's... & only found Tuff Products quick strips ( which don't get very good reviews )... then was thinking about the ammo wallets ( which the new ones aren't getting g the best reviews either ) & I didn't see one in 32 caliber...

those of you that are carrying these... do you carry back up ammo, & how are you carrying that ???
Old April 7, 2015, 12:15 AM   #1273
BillCA

I've used the Tuff strips and they're fine. They don't seem to hold up for years and years, but they're not too expensive. Have not used them for .32 cal though.

For speed, the HKS type loaders are about the best. After that, a strip loader (Tuff is your choice as Bianchi only makes .38/.357), then belt loops (see attached). The MTM ammo wallet is below loose rounds in my pocket only because they are awkward to use.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp ammo_TexShoemakerSY.bmp (180.9 KB, 35 views)
Old April 7, 2015, 12:14 PM   #1274
skizzums

does anyone have experience with the Charter Arms Patriot in .327? I would have to attempt to find one, but just wondering if they are decent guns or not. they seem to be in my price range, but not sure what the actual street value is since they seem difficult to find.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/...h-p-21435.html

there are a couple for sale in the 400$ range on armslist....worth it? I know it's not a ruger or a smith, just wondering if they hold up and shoot straight
http://www.armslist.com/posts/410517...-arms-patriot-

Last edited by skizzums; April 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old April 9, 2015, 08:01 AM   #1275
superspirit

I have one,had a lil problem with it. charter took care of it. Now it's a great little gun. paid $300 for it at a local gun show.