The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Two groups at different places on the target

My 22 hornet is getting to be the go-to gun for prairie dogs out to around 200yards. In trying to work up a better load, some interesting things have happened.

The desired POI for this rig is 1 inch above the center of the bullseye at 100 yards. This shooting was done from a good rest, and the rounds of each load recipe were fired about 30 seconds apart with 2 minutes or so for the barrel to cool between different loads. There were 6 shots in each group.

Nosler 40 gr. BT are grouping good (about 3/4 in) but 2 inches high and 2 inches to the left of the bullseye. There were 5 different recipes for this bullet, and when they are all overlaid, the group for 30 rounds (6 rounds X 5 recipes) the overall group is about 1.5 inches across and all right in the same area.

Sierra 40 gr Bltzking are grouping the same size groups, but the center of the group is the desired point of impact. I like the Nosler because it has a better BC, and is a bit less expensive.

The question is, will the Nosler loads be ok if the scope is adjusted to put the group where the POI should be? Or is this goofy POI some kind of indicator that the gun doesn't like that bullet? (I know....use the Sierras and move on, but I am like the cat...curiosity and all that rot. ) It is a one hour drive to the shooting range, so it ain't easy to go test these things.

Thanks in advance if you have any comments.
Old December 30, 2009, 02:02 PM   #2
rwilson452

I would suggest you use the best of the Nosler and adjust your scope. I assume you tried different loads with the Sierra. Which ever groups best is what I would use. But before you go wild making up your new found load, I would test at the greatest range you expect to shoot those pesky varmint. sometimes a bullet that does well at 100 yds doesn't perform well at longer ranges.
Old December 30, 2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

Thanks for the suggestion. I am thinking the same thing. Loaded a few rounds with charges closer to the best groups, (0.2 gr. more, same as original, and 0.2 gr. less) to try some more...5 at a hundred yards and 5 at 150 yards. Then I should have a pretty good idea of what works.

I agree. Going wild doesn't pay. Been there, done that. Wasted lots of stuff that shot terrible. Needed more time at the range, before going wild.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:36 AM   #4
Sport45

Yes, adjust the scope. The Sierra bullets aren't necessarily "on", they're just hitting right and low of where the Noslers are.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:56 PM   #5
James R. Burke

Yup adjust the scope to point of aim, and go with the best one you like.
Old January 1, 2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Shoney

Quote:
The question is, will the Nosler loads be ok if the scope is adjusted to put the group where the POI should be?
Short answer. Yes!

Long answer. YYYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Tags
keeping women safe. , rednecks