The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2022, 11:16 AM   #26
Marco Califo

You will need to look at the Lee table for how much each dipper will hold. It may or may not be close to your desired weight. You can vary how full you scoop each charge: heaping = more; leveled with a straight edge = less. You can Google Lee Dipper Table.
Old December 9, 2022, 05:19 PM   #27
FITASC

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle;

The only trouble is measuring such a small amount of Unique ... I made a small dipper with a cut down 22 LR case so it would dip 2.5 grs of Unique and that solved my Unique powder dispensing problem .

Hope this helps ,
Gary[/QUOTE

I am having a similar problem trying to measure Unique for a load for 32 S&W Long with a 98 grain full wadcutter. I may use the Lee dipper set if the smallest one will throw a small enough charge.

If not your idea may be my next step. Good one, thanks!
I used to load WCs in 32SWL; no problem with my RCBS powder dropper once it got dialed in.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 9, 2022, 07:01 PM   #28
gwpercle

I use a double dip and level method with dippers and Unique powder ...
I start with a coffee cup of Unique Powder ...
1.) Dip up a heaping dipper full and tap the dipper handle on the cup rim 4 times to settle the powder in the scoop .
2.) Dip down again and fill the dipper heaping full , a little mound on top.
3.) Use a business card to drag slowly across the dipper mouth to get a full level dipper .

This results in a slightly heavier "dip" than Lee gets with their single dip and level method ...but I get much more consistent charges this way .
Establish your own method and verify the weight with your scales and write it down .
Using my method of double dipping ... Unique Powder :

Dipper - Grs of Unique

22 short - 2.0 grs
Lee 3cc yellow plastic dipper - 2.8 grs
22 LR - 3.0 grs
25 auto (acp) - 3.0 grs
22 CCI LR - Mini Mag case - 3.0 grs
Lee 5cc yellow plastic dipper - 4.4 grs
Lee dipper #039 - black plastic - 5.5 grs
Lee 7 cc , yellow plastic - 6.5 grs

To get a dipper to dip 2.5 grs I shortened a 22 LR case and marked the handle .

I wish Lee would make some of the Plastic Scoops in smaller sizes ... my home made scoops work and I solder #12 copper wire to the case and make a loop handle ... but they look like Bubba made them ... a small scoop that has a hole you could drill deeper to get small adjustments in weight would be great ... I would buy several !
Gary
Old December 9, 2022, 07:13 PM   #29
Marco Califo

A scale is a necessity when using any volume-metric powder measure
Old December 9, 2022, 07:32 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I agree.

For determining what the measure actually throws and for setting adjustable ones. After that, its a matter of being UNIFORM the way you use the measure or dipper.

And reverifying the thing with each different batch of powder used as well.
Old December 9, 2022, 09:29 PM   #31
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
I fully agree. A dipper can get you close. But, i have never had one that has been dead on. My powder thrower is much more consistent, but i still have to dial it in on my scale.
Old December 9, 2022, 11:09 PM   #32
Marco Califo

The dippers are calibrated in cubic centimeters (cc). Lee's Perfect Powder Measure is also calibrated in cc's, and it is easy to dial in your load, and be surprisingly close on your intended weight on the first throw, checking by weighing.
Since I got my RCBS ChargeMaster Combo (dispenser controlled by the scale) I am enjoying setting a weight once, then auto dispensing when pan is replaced on the scale. Convience.

Last edited by Marco Califo; December 12, 2022 at 10:29 PM.
Old December 10, 2022, 07:42 PM   #33
gwpercle

To get dippers to work properly ... You have to hold your mouth right .
Gary
Old December 11, 2022, 11:26 AM   #34
RoyceP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
To get dippers to work properly ... You have to hold your mouth right .
Gary
Without a scale how would you know the weight other than using the Lee chart? I got the Lyman #55 yesterday. May try to use it and a scale to achieve the light charge I am after.

Also, the smallest Lee Dipper is .17 - it came with the set of 32 Long dies that I own. The dipper would be the backup plan. It's hard to use a dipper set accurately.

https://leeprecision.com/.17-powder-measure.html
Old December 11, 2022, 06:35 PM   #35
Marco Califo

I have a #55, and it works great. There are three different volume adjustment knobs. It will throw consistent charges of flake powders when you use that knob, and it makes a "flat chamber" that suits flake powders like Unigue and the Dots. The other knobs create different shapes. Study the instructions. I always opened the cavity, raise and drop the dongle knocker twice to settle the charge uniformly. Then dispense, and check the throw on your scale. Consistency in all movements will give you the most consistent throws.