The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: What primer size should I get for 45 auto?
Get large primer, its what it was designed for 15 71.43%
Get small primer, keep your primers the same 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 15, 2022, 03:26 PM   #26
Shadow9mm

Well i ordered 200 once fired small primers. And i have close to 100 large primer range pickup. I will work up some loads side by side and see if i can discern any difference in velocity or consistency. But im thinking small primer will be the way to go gor me.I
Old November 15, 2022, 09:24 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Let us know how it goes!
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 20, 2022, 08:27 AM   #28
std7mag

In a pistol, i'm thinking your not going to be able to discern any quantifiable difference between large & small PISTOL primers.

It's not like your shooting a 75lb rail gun whose accuracy is measured in hundredths, or thousandths of an inch.

I shoot both primer sizes in my 45s. Haven't seen any difference in accuracy or failure to fire in different temperatures.

Use what you want to use.

For me, i prefer the large primers, as otherwise i'm going through small primers that much quicker while loading 9mm & 38 SPCL.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 20, 2022, 08:53 AM   #29
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
In a pistol, i'm thinking your not going to be able to discern any quantifiable difference between large & small PISTOL primers.

It's not like your shooting a 75lb rail gun whose accuracy is measured in hundredths, or thousandths of an inch.

I shoot both primer sizes in my 45s. Haven't seen any difference in accuracy or failure to fire in different temperatures.

Use what you want to use.

For me, i prefer the large primers, as otherwise i'm going through small primers that much quicker while loading 9mm & 38 SPCL.
I would prefer small primers. I load for 9mm, 38spl, 357 mag, smd 223. I use small pistol primers when i can get them but have had to use small rifle for everything for a bit now. I do have about 1000 large pistol primers from when i used yo load for 44spl. Figured i could do some testing and use them up. But i just dont really want to have to stock large pistol primers going forward if i can get away with it. I would prefer to use large pistol, i just cant get around how impractical it is based on my current situation.
Old November 20, 2022, 12:09 PM   #30
Sevens

Unless I'm missing something, I can't agree that it is impractical. While all four primer sizes are tough gets, small pistol primers are with no doubt the most difficult primer to get, they are in the most demand.

If you roll with LP, you will need to stock a different sized primer but it will be a size that is arguably easier to get and even you yourself won't need to use as often.

If you ever dabble in 10mm, .41 Mag, .44 Special or Mag or .45 Colt, you are able to jump right in, having LP primers on hand.
Old November 20, 2022, 12:19 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Well i ordered 200 once fired small primers.
What are you going to do with 200 fired small primers???

Old November 20, 2022, 01:16 PM   #32
Marco Califo

Once fired primers

Quote:
Well i ordered 200 once fired small primers. And i have close to 100 large primer range pickup.
I will be happy to send you once fired primers, large and small pistol. But you have to pay postage.

Last edited by Marco Califo; November 20, 2022 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Fix
Old November 20, 2022, 02:48 PM   #33
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
What are you going to do with 200 fired small primers???

Once fired small primer brass, not the primers themselves.
Old November 20, 2022, 04:49 PM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

gotcha,
Old November 20, 2022, 05:05 PM   #35
Shadow9mm

I figured, but it was a good one.
Old November 21, 2022, 11:41 AM   #36
seanc

I just picked up some more LPP. Since I have both small and large primer brass, I'll load my next batch in LPP and save the SPP for my 9mm. It's good to have options! Get and save both.

The LPPs I just picked up were magnum. I've been getting these for over a year here and there. Seems to be the only primers I can find in Florida at LGS's. A local mfr keeps promising to start selling surplus primers (SPP & LPP) once he has any...
Old November 21, 2022, 11:55 AM   #37
Shadow9mm

got all my brass in, counted everything up. right now I have about 350pcs of SP and about 50pcs of LP.

one interesting note. While sorting my brass I noted that the SP brass had almost all the same head stamp. It would seem that using SP might have a benefit if your buying once fired as you will get les head stamp variation as there are fewer manufacturers who make it.
Old November 21, 2022, 12:23 PM   #38
Marco Califo

That one headstamp is . . .Blazer, I bet.
Old November 21, 2022, 01:52 PM   #39
FITASC

Quote:
The LPPs I just picked up were magnum. I've been getting these for over a year here and there. Seems to be the only primers I can find in Florida at LGS's. A local mfr keeps promising to start selling surplus primers (SPP & LPP) once he has any...
NO LGS in my area of Florida has had any primers since Covid; have to mail order and pay hazmat and freight
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 21, 2022, 02:33 PM   #40
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
That one headstamp is . . .Blazer, I bet.
mostly speer actually...
Old November 21, 2022, 02:50 PM   #41
rclark

Quote:
Get small primer, keep your primers the same
?? Most of my revolvers use the large primer . At any rate, I toss any small primer .45 Auto cases or just leave on the ground... or did... I don't collect .45 Auto any more anyway, as .45 Colt does everything it can do and more. No reason to even use the .45 Auto SA cylinders from my perspective.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 21, 2022, 06:09 PM   #42
zeke

Would buy the large pistol primed. Eventually all my specially segregated cases get mixed in with older/range pick ups "range brass". Saves buying new brass to replenish stock. Also during the last shortages, large primers seemed easier to find, although that's just a recollection.

The only time am buying new 45 acp brass anymore is for "vermin" full powered jacketed. And haven't bought any new for quite a while.
Old November 23, 2022, 06:54 PM   #43
Unclenick
Staff

I note that Blazer is a CCI brand, and that before it became Cascade Cartridges, Inc., CCI was Speer Cartridge Works. I wouldn't be in least surprised if the Speer ammo those cases came from was actually made by CCI on the same line they make Blazer on, but with a change in the headstamp and packaging.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 24, 2022, 01:42 PM   #44
Sevens

I agree -- when you see small primer .45 brass from CCI, Blazer and Speer, you can see the slight "domed" look and you can tell that it is extruded brass. It's long been my assumption that these three headstamps are all kicked from the same machines.