The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 4, 2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Stargater53

Handgun Durability: How Long...?

I had a thought the other day. Perhaps someone here can answer it.

If I walked into a cool dry room that was constantly 70 degrees F and placed two handguns on a table: a stainless Ruger Security-Six and a S&W Model 66. I coat each with a cloth saturated with BreakFree CLP and shut the door.

QUESTION: IF I came back in a hundred years, would each of these guns still function? How about two hundred? At what point would the gun not function, do you think? And at what point, if any, would the springs cease to work or some internal part fail? And what of the rubber grips. Or wood grips if they had them?
Old August 4, 2018, 10:53 PM   #2
TXAZ

100 years is a very long time to observe primary, secondary and tertiary (or more) effects. Did the solvent breakdown into acid and ??? Or just evaporate?
Was the low humidity not low enough to prevent rust after 95 years?

Tulsa put a car in a “sealed” time capsule a little over 50 years ago.
Thing was totally rusted out because the perfect seal wasn’t.

But if the world was ideal I expect both guns would be fine.

By the way there have been some Russian weapons that were covered in Cosmoline that 60+ years later were fine (other than the stinky Cosmoline smell)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; August 4, 2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old August 4, 2018, 10:58 PM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

The question can't be authoritatively answered, sheer speculation.
Denis
Old August 5, 2018, 01:42 AM   #4
Model12Win

I think they'd be just fine and shootable. No way of knowing, though.

I used to have a 170 year old black powder pistol. I doubt it was stowed in as good a way as a constant dry 70 degrees with oil on it. It still worked and shot fine.
Old August 5, 2018, 03:52 AM   #5
shurshot

My bet is a McDonald's Big Mac would last longer as it has nitrates and all kinds of preservatives that the firearms don't.
Old August 5, 2018, 08:30 AM   #6
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
QUESTION: IF I came back in a hundred years
You're being a little optimistic!
Old August 5, 2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Jim Watson

I'd like to be able to.

Any road, 100 years is peanuts.
The 106 and 111 year old Winchesters and the 100 year old Colt in the next room shoot just fine and they haven't had the advantage of air conditioning for much of that time.
Old August 5, 2018, 09:50 AM   #8
GarandTd

My 100 year old Mauser hasn't Led such a sheltered life and it's still kicking.
Old August 5, 2018, 09:56 AM   #9
reddog81

I've got a couple S&W's pushing 140 years that I occasionally shoot. These were some of the first double action guns ever produced and they still function just fine. I'd guess that the revolvers being produced today will still work just fine after 200 years no problem without any special precautions, even if shot occasionally. Stored in the appropriate time capsule and the centuries would tick by without issue.
Old August 5, 2018, 09:58 AM   #10
Onward Allusion

No idea about a room at 70 degrees...etc. However, if you double or triple vacuum seal a gun with one of them food processor vacs, placed it in a sealed plastic tube, I'm pretty darn sure it will be in pristine condition after a 100 years buried in the ground.
Old August 5, 2018, 10:52 AM   #11
lamarw

One hundred years is a relatively short period of time. There are collectors and museums with firearms stored even longer. The firearms are still as good as the day they were stored or put on display. Many museums use wax as a preservation treatment to the exterior components. I believe Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish claims to be used by museums for guns and other items.

I use it on the exterior finish of a lot of my guns. It sure beats oily surfaces and does not accumulate dust and grit as easily while using the firearms.
Old August 5, 2018, 11:45 AM   #12
Andy Blozinski

A T-34 tank got pulled out of a bog years ago and they were able to fire it up.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/heres-...s-under-water/
Old August 5, 2018, 11:50 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
QUESTION: IF I came back in a hundred years, would each of these guns still function? How about two hundred? At what point would the gun not function, do you think? And at what point, if any, would the springs cease to work or some internal part fail? And what of the rubber grips. Or wood grips if they had them?
Yes, and yes. OF course its just a guess, and if I'm wrong in 200 years, I'm not really going to care very much.

A stainless steel revolver at rest, in climate controlled conditions? Lifespan of the mechanism is indefinite. If anything, chemical breakdown of the CLP is more likely to do harm (if any) than anything else. Oils do not last centuries, they turn to solids, eventually.

A stainless revolver without ANY lube can sit for centuries (in theory, anyway, I doubt there has been a verified test case) without any wear, or damage. So can a blued gun. AMMUNITION is another matter...

I can't say for certain if the rubber will retain it softness, but wood will be just fine, if no outside factor works on it.

I've got my Grandfather's Ithaca shotgun, its been in my family for 109 years this year, and it spent the first 80 some years of its life either in the field or in a closet in an upstate NY farmhouse (no AC). While there is a bit of pitting in the bores, ad some finish wear on the outside, there is no rust, and the gun functions mechanically just as perfectly as it did the day it left the factory.
Old August 5, 2018, 03:20 PM   #14
Obambulate

Is this a recently-built Model 66? In 200 years the barrel will still be canted
Old August 5, 2018, 04:48 PM   #15
Don P

Do you really think you're coming back in 100 or 200 years to know the answer. Ridiculous question
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 5, 2018, 04:57 PM   #16
GarandTd

Quote:
Ridiculous question
Not really. You'll never be out in deep space, yet people still ask what is out there. You won't be alive in 500 years, but people can still wonder and ask what it might be like. If you don't like the question, don't respond.
Old August 5, 2018, 05:00 PM   #17
Don P

You're entitled to your opinion. Still a ridiculous question and I'll respond to any post I choose to
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 5, 2018, 06:18 PM   #18
bedbugbilly

Who knows?

I have a 108 year old Colt Army Special and a 115 year old GEW98 Mauser that I shoot and they work just fine. Who knows where they've been before I got them. The Mauser I can guarantee you was exposed to all sorts of in climate weather before the WWI vet that I knew brought it back form France in 1919. From there, it probably spent many years in a closet.

I have fired original buns that were well over 180 years old and they shot just vine. Again, who knows what they went through but I'm sure they weren't in a "sealed room" all of their lives.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 6, 2018, 05:38 AM   #19
tallball

I have a rifle, two revolvers, and a semiautomatic pistol that are all over 100 years old and work just fine. One of the revolvers has plastic grips.

If we an assume that there would be at least some moisture in the room, the composition of the CLP, or an alternative lube, might be important.

Or like another poster said, slather them with cosmoline and I wouldn't be surprised if they would be fine for longer than just a hundred years. My 1950's Russian SKS looked brand-new after I cleaned it up (which took quite a while).
Old August 6, 2018, 07:34 AM   #20
Bozz10mm

I have a Winchester Model 92, made in 1913, that spent most of it's life hanging on Grandpa's wall in their non-air conditioned house and another 42 years in my bedroom closet. I don't think Grandpa ever did much maintenance on it. I never found a cleaning kit in the house. It's still in excellent condition. The rifle, not the house.
Old August 6, 2018, 08:14 AM   #21
cslinger

I have a Sauer 1913 that is the better part of a century old and with the exception that it is missing a couple parts (done intentionally by previous owner not due to wear or failure) and it is in damn near perfect shape and function. As was also said it is even sporting some form of plastic grips which have held up just fine.

This certainly wasn’t sealed away out of the factory and went through at least one war and was a family memebers CCW / All around Gun for many years.

So based on the fact a fairly well used Gun stood up to the century mark I would imagine you example would last HUNDREDS of years no issue.
Old August 6, 2018, 08:29 AM   #22
Wyosmith

There are flintlocks in museums all over the world, and many of them could be taken out of the cases and hunted with today. Many are 240-265 years old.
The were all made of iron, steel, brass and wood.

Stainless will last longer.
Old August 6, 2018, 03:22 PM   #23
rodfac

I'd say 100 years is a piece of cake. I've got a couple of 1860 cavalry sabers, a pair of Krags, and a trapdoor Springfield that look none the worse for well over 100 years and all of them have had less than museum quality care. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 7, 2018, 07:44 AM   #24
Nanuk

When Ruger first started using stainless they put a single six on the roof of the factory. After 3 years in the weather the sights had rust on them.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 7, 2018, 07:51 AM   #25
FITASC

The 1907 Swede Mauser I had until recently worked just fine; and like others have said, I seriously doubt it was kept in pristine conditions all the years before I had it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa