The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 5, 2020, 10:54 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

Olight Odin review

It was on sale..... So I bought an O-light Odin. I really regret it, I do not recommend it, I'm returning mine.

Packaging Nice box, nice foam, good instructions

charging, instructions say to charge right away, 5.5hrs max. I put it on the charger, rated for more they they were asking. It took over 12hrs to charge.

Mounting The mounting block seemed ok until I went to torque it down. I figured 20in lb would be safe (no torqe listed in the instructions) as that is what is used on scope bases and rings. Well i stripped the screws out. I tried 15, still stripped out. 10in lb seemed ok, but that is not verry tight at all. The screws were super soft. one head came off, no snap, just twisted off.

mounting the light, loose and wiggly, with no way to adjust. I tried to tighten the screw for the lock, it snapped off. It would probably rattle itself to death with any serious use.

light, brilliantly bright. button was somewhat odd but it worked. low and hi, light press and firm press. easy enough to tell. only hi with the remote tail switch

tail switch good magnet, lock ring does not seem secure
Old July 6, 2020, 03:59 PM   #2
dyl

Sorry to hear it. Went through similar decision recently, between the Odin, Baldr Pro, TLR-2 HLG, and HLX rifle mount (and tape switch) with laser.

I already have a few Olight things, flashlights, the Valkyrie 2, PL-1 Mini.

I'm steering clear of proprietary batteries, and batteries that can't be replaced because in my experience with Lithium Ion batteries, after 4-5 years I always start noticing a diminished max capacity.

For my "serious" home defense lights which are just 1 pistol and 1 rifle, I chose to go with Streamlight. I feel better with the lifetime warranty. For other things, Olight is fine I feel. And in the case of the "odin" vs. Streamlight HLX with laser, the price was about the same. I've noticed that not many Youtube people want to torture test Olight lights, yet many are willing to torture test actual firearms themselves. My guess is if Olight sends them these things for free, they want to avoid making the company look bad.

I'd recommend you have a look at the HL-x with laser. I wish the laser was green, but I really don't need the laser, just the light. I think mine came out to 140-ish from batteryjunction.com It can use an 18650 button top battery or 2 x CR123. If you don't have an 18650 charger you could go with the package that includes the micro USB rechargeable Streamlight 18650 battery.
Old July 6, 2020, 05:13 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

yeah, I learned my lesson. I was actually looking at the standard HLX. Was never a big laser fan, just looking for light. I really like the surefire, but i cant justify the $300 price tag. Streamlight does have an excellent warranty. I had to use it once, they sent me a new light no problems.